shape
carat
color
clarity

Red Spinel To Be Set By Steven Kirsch

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I recently purchased a 3.40 red spinel oval from Africa Gems. It is a lovely cherry red 9.75 x 7.95mm and a lovely size for a ring. This is my first time purchasing from Africa Gems and I was very pleased with the process. I choose my stone, paid for it and 2 days later it was in my hand. The packaging was simple and paperwork easy to understand. Oh and the package of mini gummi bears were a whimsical touch.

When it arrived I had it for an afternoon before shipping it out to Steven Kircsh. Unfortunately I did not have time for any pictures beyond those with my iphone on a hazy day.

_7995.jpg

_7996.jpg

_7997.jpg

_7998.jpg

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Steven let me know that he did receive the stone and he is in the process on sourcing side stones for me.
A few photos in the box...it is a much prettier red than the photos show. I cannot wait to get it back!

_7999.jpg

_8000.jpg

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'M SO JEALOUS!!!!! Can I have your ruby ring since you clearly won't need two red rings.

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
HotPozzum|1374104850|3485089 said:
Oooooh thats lush... Can't wait to see the final product! :love:
Thank you HP! I cannot wait either! 3 weeks....It will be August before it is done.

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
athenaworth|1374105216|3485091 said:
I'M SO JEALOUS!!!!! Can I have your ruby ring since you clearly won't need two red rings.

Oh I love my ruby ring! It is just that I wear the larger three stone sapphire more often. But I do love red, especially during football season.

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous!!! I adore your ruby and sapphire rings. This will no doubt be another amazing addition. What kind of side stones are you using?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did I miss something here? No mention of design other than obviously needing side stones. Will they be diamond sides? What shape? Spill! :bigsmile:

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Rosebloom|1374108550|3485123 said:
Gorgeous!!! I adore your ruby and sapphire rings. This will no doubt be another amazing addition. What kind of side stones are you using?
Thank you! Diamonds as side stones, I am classic sort of girl.

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1374108970|3485125 said:
Did I miss something here? No mention of design other than obviously needing side stones. Will they be diamond sides? What shape? Spill! :bigsmile:

Chrono you have missed nothing! I am torn between two styles.

1. The oval with half moon side stones (diamond sides) in platinum.

2. The oval with french cut side stone tapering down 3/4 of the way around again set in platinum.

Steven has said they he will contact me sometime this week with pictures once he has chosen side stones.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am super excited for you! As for the spinel, how do you find it in person compared to AfricaGem's pictures and description? Spot on? A little different?

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Love your spinel! Such a pretty color and big - that will make a gorgeous ring!! I also really like the diamond stacker bands you're wearing in the photos :)

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Can't wait to see your choices! Sounds really fun. I'm curious too -- how does it compare IRL with the AG photos?

--- Laurie

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Oh fun! I'm in the process of trying to do a 3 stone from my tourmaline with trapz sides and I was thinking about going with steven again. He did my diamond 3 stone. He is wondeful to work with and his work is stunning!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Lovely stone! Looks like hard candy - yummm!

I am a sucker for tapered French cuts so the answer is obvious to me.

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1374110292|3485150 said:
I am super excited for you! As for the spinel, how do you find it in person compared to AfricaGem's pictures and description? Spot on? A little different?
Chrono- They only had one photo up on their site, so it was a little bit of a leap of faith. That photo is the top one in the initial post on this thread. I know it may look a bit pink in my photos...but so do my hands which tells me that the iphone is not ideal for coloration accuracy. Overall I think it is pretty close to the photos posted. I do not see the facets as quite as defined which I find pleasing but others may miss.

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
katharath|1374117274|3485230 said:
Love your spinel! Such a pretty color and big - that will make a gorgeous ring!! I also really like the diamond stacker bands you're wearing in the photos :)
Thank you Katharath! The diamond stackers are from DeBeers and I wear them quite often.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cokitty|1374160635|3485523 said:
They only had one photo up on their site, so it was a little bit of a leap of faith. That photo is the top one in the initial post on this thread. I know it may look a bit pink in my photos...but so do my hands which tells me that the iphone is not ideal for coloration accuracy. Overall I think it is pretty close to the photos posted. I do not see the facets as quite as defined which I find pleasing but others may miss.

Thanks for your comment on their photography. They once provided additional pictures for a PSer which I viewed and found it different from the original picture. In your case, their original picture looks orangish whilst your hand pictures look purplish, which confused me a little. :)) Whatever the case may be, you are happy with what was advertised and that itself speaks volumes. I can't wait to follow the progress of your new ring and I hope you'll keep us updated.

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1374161162|3485533 said:
cokitty|1374160635|3485523 said:
They only had one photo up on their site, so it was a little bit of a leap of faith. That photo is the top one in the initial post on this thread. I know it may look a bit pink in my photos...but so do my hands which tells me that the iphone is not ideal for coloration accuracy. Overall I think it is pretty close to the photos posted. I do not see the facets as quite as defined which I find pleasing but others may miss.

Thanks for your comment on their photography. They once provided additional pictures for a PSer which I viewed and found it different from the original picture. In your case, their original picture looks orangish whilst your hand pictures look purplish, which confused me a little. :)) Whatever the case may be, you are happy with what was advertised and that itself speaks volumes. I can't wait to follow the progress of your new ring and I hope you'll keep us updated.
Chrono- I think color is affected by monitors etc. It doesn't have an orange tint to me, but like I said before it looks pinker in the shots on my than it does it real life. If my skin was that color I would be highly alarmed.
That said I do not think any of the three options; their photo, on my hand, in the box match precisely. I have many colored gems and I never quite capture what I see with my eyes on film.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
That's the hard part about them, isn't it? Getting in pics what I see is almost impossible for me -- so frustrating, I have had a few stern talks with my camera but it wasn't impressed. Your ring is going to be great fun to see as it comes along -- pls keep updating your progress!

--- Laurie

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cokiity,
This is why I asked you - because what you see on your screen may not be what I see on mine. In any case, I'm glad you love it and that it's the right spinel for you. I so want to be able to see what you see but perhaps when it is set, SK's pictures might be better. :Up_to_something:

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
My gosh, your spinel is stunning!! Such a captivating color. I'm looking forward to seeing your new ring. :appl: :appl:

I would also be torn between the french cuts and the half moon sides. Initially, I thought "definitely half moon" because of its classic look, but then I thought "definitely french cuts" because of their understated elegance and because I'd love to see the spinel be the absolute center of attention.

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak said:
That's the hard part about them, isn't it? Getting in pics what I see is almost impossible for me -- so frustrating, I have had a few stern talks with my camera but it wasn't impressed. Your ring is going to be great fun to see as it comes along -- pls keep updating your progress!

--- Laurie
Laurie- I quite agree, I am not convinced that any camera can capture the beauty and complexity of what we get to enjoy on our hands.
Chrono said:
Cokiity,
This is why I asked you - because what you see on your screen may not be what I see on mine. In any case, I'm glad you love it and that it's the right spinel for you. I so want to be able to see what you see but perhaps when it is set, SK's pictures might be better. :Up_to_something:
SK does take much better photos...I am labrat and have not mastered gem photography....maybe next year!
IndyLady said:
My gosh, your spinel is stunning!! Such a captivating color. I'm looking forward to seeing your new ring. :appl: :appl:

I would also be torn between the french cuts and the half moon sides. Initially, I thought "definitely half moon" because of its classic look, but then I thought "definitely french cuts" because of their understated elegance and because I'd love to see the spinel be the absolute center of attention.
Thank you IL! I am really excited about finding it and having it set!
Posting pictures now!

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sorry for taking so long to respond, sometimes my real life interrupts my computer time. :roll:

This is the first set SK sent me I adore the cut, just so pretty!

This is the second set SK sent me for review.

After thinking on it I have decided that I like the cut of the first and the size of the second. Steven has promised me that he will send me photos of the set he thinks will be just right on Monday. I cannot wait to see!

img_5818.jpg

img_5826.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
After thinking on it I have decided that I like the cut of the first and the size of the second

exactly what i was thinking!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So half moons for sure? I actually like the first pair, cut and size wise. They emphasize the spinel well and proportionately don't feel as though they are competing with it.

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Niel|1374931335|3491411 said:
After thinking on it I have decided that I like the cut of the first and the size of the second

exactly what i was thinking!

I am very excited, I expect to receive photos of the combination of larger stone with the step cut faceting on Monday from Steven! :appl:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Looking forward to seeing your new pics. I like the 2nd pair for size -- they fit better with the spinel. But I do love stepcuts too! Bring on the photos.

--- Laurie

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak|1375053791|3492077 said:
Looking forward to seeing your new pics. I like the 2nd pair for size -- they fit better with the spinel. But I do love stepcuts too! Bring on the photos.

--- Laurie
JF- I am with you! I expect to have the photo of the set which combines the best of the first two sets tomorrow! I cannot wait to see!

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
Love the step cuts, I think they make your stone look HUGE!

It's such a pretty colour - I can't wait to see the other set he has!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results