shape
carat
color
clarity

Red spinel thoughts please

Matt_95

Rough_Rock
I wasn't planning on buying another gem for a while but I came across this while browsing and I am very very drawn to it. I contacted the seller and asked if the stone had a window and she said it does not have a window.These photos are in direct sunlight. It is described as being a pinkish red colour. It is 1.14 carats and it's dimensions are 6.1x4.7x4.5. Does this look like a good stone to you guys? And what sort of price range do you think this would be worth? I don't want to add to many details because I think it is easy to guess where this one is from.

_22897.jpg

_22899.jpg

_22900.jpg

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
And what sort of price range do you think this would be worth?
Sorry Matt but we're not jewellers or gem dealers and basically if you are prepared to pay what the vendor is asking, then read the Return Policy and get it to see if you like it as much IRL.

It's a pretty stone though (and Marlow is joking ;)) )

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Really nice and I think Mahenge - but could be a nice burmese too....

Eyeclean? If Eyeclean and not unexpensive think about a certificate - if cheap THINK ABOUT A CERTIFICATE!!!!

Matt_95

Rough_Rock
Thanks guys, the gem actually comes with a certificate, however I just did a quick google of the lab and it really puts me off purchasing this spinel. The lab that certified it as a natural spinel is SLP and I read some less than favorable posts about it on here just now. The colour of this spinel really does make my heart sing, does anyone know of anything similar for sale currently?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is the seller able and willing it to send the spinel off to the lab of your choice? AGL would be best but GIA is also acceptable. Secondly, how is the colour shift indoors?

Matt_95

Rough_Rock
Chrono said:
Is the seller able and willing it to send the spinel off to the lab of your choice? AGL would be best but GIA is also acceptable. Secondly, how is the colour shift indoors?
I've just sent an email now to ask. How does that usually work? If the gem comes back as being synthetic, would the seller absorb the cost of that or would I be expected to pay for that?
The colour shift indoors to my eye is that the gem becomes less pink and more red. Definitely no brown. I don't want to post the indoor pictures here because I am worried that will make it to obvious where it is from.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be upfront with the vendor that you will purchase the spinel if it comes back verified as natural and untreated spinel. Your option to review/return the stone stays valid should you not love the stone after seeing it in person. The cost of the lab report is part of your purchase price. Unless the stone is expensive, the vendor sometimes absorbs the cost of the lab report but you must discuss this with the vendor and come to an agreement about this first.

It sounds like you already have the stone in hand? No orange under incandescent, fluorescent and halogen lighting?

Matt_95

Rough_Rock
I will discuss that with them then, thank you.

I don't have it in hand, sorry if I made it seem that way. In the advertisement, there are photos of it under incandescent lighting and it shows no orange in it as far as I can see. I may as well attach one of the photos. Hopefully no one buys it from under me! What do you think?

_22902.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you absolutely sure it is incandescent? The light source looks awfully white. Well, at this point, let's take care of the lab question first.

Matt_95

Rough_Rock
That's what the seller said when I asked about the light source in the photo.
I guess we will see what she says in the morning!

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Ask the seller to put a hold on the stone while you discuss niceties.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Starzin|1412256479|3760535 said:
Ask the seller to put a hold on the stone while you discuss niceties.

Cannot agree with the above more. I'm sure there are PSers (and lurkers) who will recognize the stone and photography style.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
On my monitor, the one she says is incandescent has a fair bit of brown, but it's impossible to be sure either way from a photo; that's the kind of thing you need to see it IRL to know. I hope you reach an agreement about a lab -- it could be a very nice stone, at least worth taking a look at.

--- Laurie

Matt_95

Rough_Rock
Hey guys, the seller said that it wouldn't be worth sending it to a lab because that would end up costing as much, or more than the gem is priced at.
Do you guys now much about the seller Siamgold78 on ebay? I did a search and didn't find anything negative here.

Does the brown you are seeing make the stone undesirable? I don't have much experience so maybe I am just not able to notice the brown in the gem?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Matt_95|1412279126|3760771 said:
Hey guys, the seller said that it wouldn't be worth sending it to a lab because that would end up costing as much, or more than the gem is priced at.
Do you guys now much about the seller Siamgold78 on ebay? I did a search and didn't find anything negative here.

Does the brown you are seeing make the stone undesirable? I don't have much experience so maybe I am just not able to notice the brown in the gem?
No, but if you google "siamgold78 ebay" a post from another forum pops up from earlier this year, and it's a tad concerning. Also, PS has a super unreliable (abysmal) search system. I never use it, and prefer to google everything.

As for the stones on the ebay site, three look windowed and the other it's impossible to tell because the way the table reflection is. Plus on the purple-pink sapphire, the handshots are a completely different color from the glamour shots. Wouldn't buy.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matt_95|1412279126|3760771 said:

I use google to search on pricescope as well. Here's a thread on that vendor.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/mandarin-garnet-its-a-crap-shoot.164984/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/mandarin-garnet-its-a-crap-shoot.164984/[/URL]

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
http://www.ebay.de/itm/SUPER-RARE-1-30CT-STUNNING-RASPBERRY-RED-VVS1-MAHENGE-SPINEL-/321457928421

This stone is sold - the vendor accepted an offer below 575 $ - for a 1,3 ct EY mahenge in this color - WHY?

Look at the pic - the left bottom - one main facet looks suspicious - no reflection - unreal....
Stay away OR bid and win for small money and see what you will get...they won spinel for around 50-60 $.
Could be an exc. deal or you get a synthetic or fotoshopped stone. Normally I would say the times for cheap mahenge are gone - a clean stone with a very good color is no problem to sell.

And Ebay here in Germany shows 0 items - don't know why!!??

But.. it is a risk!!!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Unless you're willing to eat the cost of getting an AGL or GIA report for stone like this, and get a written statement from the vendor that you can return it in X number of days (which allows you to get the report), I would not bother with a stone like this. The other option is to risk the cost of the stone. I've done this once, but only with a reputable Ebay vendor.

Matt_95

Rough_Rock
Thanks for that guys, I might skip it then. The vendor is not siamgold78, it's a preloved stone that originated there. I was thinking that if they were a reputable vendor I would risk it. However seeing a report they sold someone a CZ makes me uncomfortable. The seller of this stone has been really lovely and helpful and it's a beautiful stone but I don't want to risk getting a synthetic. It's $150 as well so it is cheap but I don't want to just throw away $150. It is a beautiful stone though and I would love to have it :(.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
I don't understand you!

There is a difference WHEN your vendor bought the stone - I am talking about today - I bought several Mahenge from Thailand (Tan) and the prices were very low and I got very nice gems...but a few years ago - NOW - after the prices climbed higher and higher - it is difficult.

The Thai cutting factories bought a lot of material - they offered them quite cheap for a while!!

So the pictures are from the person who wants to sell it now - buy it for $ 150 - many people want to sell quickly. Now the offer stones like this for 5-7 times more!

It is a bit gambling - losing $ 150 or winning $ 600 - 750$ would be a good price imo. But of course your decision.
( Hope you are not the person who wants to sell it )

It would be fair if you ask for information you give us all the infos we need. But this is my opinion and sorry that I am a bit direct...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry I don't trust SLP at all and the fact that the stone costs less than the cost of a decent lab report is just too risky. It's a too good to be true scenario with blaring horns and flashing red light warnings. If in the US, the AGL brief is only $65. Are you willing to take the chance?

Matt_95

Rough_Rock
Hi Marlow, sorry of I have been difficult, I didn't have all of the information at the time I made my OP however I now know more of that I need to ask before I post so I will ensure I follow up before I post here next time. Also sorry if I was unclear that the spinel is not from Siamgold78, I didn't intend it to come across that way, I posted in a rush and did not read over what I was saying to make sure I was conveying my information accurately. I will ensure I do try harder.

I am a bit of a risk taker at times and part of me really does want to take this risk. But I would be very disappointed to get burned. The stone, as Marlow said is $150, so $65 is a little bit less than half of the price but I don't mind paying that to ensure I am getting a natural gem.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matt_95|1412309281|3761091 said:
Hi Marlow, sorry of I have been difficult, I didn't have all of the information at the time I made my OP however I now know more of that I need to ask before I post so I will ensure I follow up before I post here next time. Also sorry if I was unclear that the spinel is not from Siamgold78, I didn't intend it to come across that way, I posted in a rush and did not read over what I was saying to make sure I was conveying my information accurately. I will ensure I do try harder.

I am a bit of a risk taker at times and part of me really does want to take this risk. But I would be very disappointed to get burned. The stone, as Marlow said is $150, so $65 is a little bit less than half of the price but I don't mind paying that to ensure I am getting a natural gem.

The AGL gem brief is $65 + S&H back and forth from them to you. It can run somewhere between $80 and $100 for a gem brief with S&H.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As I recall, there were some on this board who liked Siamgold78 and there were others who found their photos to be photoshopped to enhance the saturation and intensity of color. Assuming those are the original Siam photos, If I were you, I would ask the seller to take their own photos.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
My opinion - 10 % you loose your money and 90 % you get a nice Mahenge or Namya ( Burmese spinel - also top quality) for 150 + certificate = 215 $.

The pictures show a beautiful color - synthetic spinel is a risk if they salted a parcel of rough.

If you don't want it post the link here - it will sell very quickly!!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
READ THIS POST I FOUND ABOUT THE SELLER. It's an old thread but it looks like she doesn't disclose treatment. It starts off positive but then takes a nose dive.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/catch-all-thread-talk-or-better-yet-show-us.118956/page-20']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/catch-all-thread-talk-or-better-yet-show-us.118956/page-20[/URL]

Also on Toolhaus there are a few negative comments about colour not being as described and/or flaws in the gem undisclosed.

Matt_95

Rough_Rock
minousbijoux said:
As I recall, there were some on this board who liked Siamgold78 and there were others who found their photos to be photoshopped to enhance the saturation and intensity of color. Assuming those are the original Siam photos, If I were you, I would ask the seller to take their own photos.
The photos are were taken by the current seller, I've no idea what the original photos looked like but it would have been interesting to compare!

Marlow said:
My opinion - 10 % you loose your money and 90 % you get a nice Mahenge or Namya ( Burmese spinel - also top quality) for 150 + certificate = 215 $.

The pictures show a beautiful color - synthetic spinel is a risk if they salted a parcel of rough.

If you don't want it post the link here - it will sell very quickly!!

I think those are alright odds! I actually had a discussion about this stone with my boss and he was intrigued with it as well. He told me to work a few hours of overtime next week and that will cover it. I love my job so I don't mind staying back and the overtime pay for a few hours will cover it completely so I'm going to go for it. If it's synthetic it's only a few hours of my time gone and nothing gone from my budget!.

LD said:
READ THIS POST I FOUND ABOUT THE SELLER. It's an old thread but it looks like she doesn't disclose treatment. It starts off positive but then takes a nose dive.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/catch-all-thread-talk-or-better-yet-show-us.118956/page-20']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/catch-all-thread-talk-or-better-yet-show-us.118956/page-20[/URL]

Wow, thanks very much for digging that up for me, I really appreciate it and it really goes to show how members of this board will go above and beyond to help, even newbies like myself! I'm going to take the risk on this one after the suggestion from my boss. If it was much more expensive I wouldn't go for it or if it was something that is so often treated like ruby I would avoid it also. I also will definitely not purchase from Siamgold78 ever, and if they were the ones selling this stone to me I wouldn't go for it either. I don't support businesses that try to deceive their clientele.

I think it will be interesting to see how this ends up. And if it is synthetic, you call all say I told you so!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Given that this is a secondhand stone, I presume the sale is final regardless of outcome and that you bear the responsibility of sending the spinel to AGL?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results