shape
carat
color
clarity

red-orange spinel

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you like and enjoy it, it may not be worth having it recut depending on how much size you lose. It may just come down to the setting.

As said, yellow gold is really the way to go. white gold will kill that stone. If you can get 18K, go for it. it would go very well with the stone.

-A

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
I just had to de-lurk and say what a fantastic stone. I am always a sucker for cushions and the red saturation coupled with the sleepy texture is just outstanding... I sure wish I had seen it on multicolour :halo:

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, sleepyspinel! I'm actually having second thoughts again, I don't know why. I don't know if it's because it looks particularly awesome in sunlight, and we're not seeing any of that here these days, or what...

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NKOTB,
All I can say is that a fine mahenge should glow and show lots of saturation no matter the light source, even if its an overcast day. Whie mahenges do have fluorescence and should look madly glowy in sunlight, they should't lose a lot of saturation or "brown out" in other lighting or on overcast days. Not saying yours does that, but just imparting what I know from my own experience with these stones. :))

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is it still pretty and pleasing to your eyes, though? While my Mahenge doesn't have that extra "pow" of fluorecence in winter (less sunlight with cloudy days or indoors), it is still wonderfully saturated, so much so that I wear it happily at any time of the year. I thought you were satisfied with how it looks indoors?

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I like it very much. I would set it in 20k gold. It is lovely; nice saturation , nice silky glow.

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, so it turns out that carrying a gem of this colour around on white cotton in a white box, with the lid on, might not be the best way to view it. :oops: When I took it out and put in on my hand again and walked around (today is overcast - again), I was reminded of why I liked it to begin with. Definitely yellow gold will house it! It leans more towards orangey (especially when I put it beside a lab ruby I have) in some lighting, but still glows. It looks its crappiest in my kitchen fluorescent - but then again, so do I. :lol:

Thanks for the feedback, again! =)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mahege spinels look their worst in fluorescent light, but the nicest ones should still be a nice saturated orangy pink to pink color, and not brown out. Again, not saying yours does that, but just an FYI.

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm, I wouldn't call it orangy pink. Wouldn't one of "the nicest ones" at 2.5 cts be $$$$$?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As with many colored gems, prices can be all over the place for various qualities. I've seen purplish ones go for $$$$$$, and I've seen really nice pinkish reds go for less. As with anything, I like to shop around. Haven't bought many mahenges lately though. The important thing is that YOU love it, regardless of what was paid.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beatiful gem! I can't wait to see it set and think yellow gold would be perfect.

wow, Wow, WOW. I just had to comment on how utterly, showstopping-ly gorgeous this stone is. When I read in the title that it was a red-orange, I was expecting something very different. It just looks like a really vibrant red to me. Stunning. Enjoy!

Love the stone in this pic best, btw.

Attachments

• untitled.bmp
    673.2 KB · Views: 343

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Are you thinking of sending that back? Have you lost your mind????

We need to GTG pronto young lady. I need to check and see if you've had a bang on the head! What's next week like for you?

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
I think that is a beautiful stone. I love the red, the glow and the cushion shape. It will make a beautiful piece of jewelry!

sphenequeen

Brilliant_Rock
I absolutely adore your stone! I would have to agree that it would look AMAZING in high karat yellow gold - even 22 karat. If you are a fan of w/g, what about setting it in a yellow gold basket with a white gold shank? Yummy!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results