shape
carat
color
clarity

Recutting ruby stone

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello everyone I am long-time lurker, nebwbie poster. I am totally gem obssesed (my hubby calls me a bowerbird!) so I thought who better to ask for some serious advice:

Ok, so my engagement ring is a very plain oval solitare ruby. The size is (from memory) about .9 ct and the colour is fantastic - a real pigons blood ruby. Is has some inclusions but I don''t mind. It is set in a simple yellow gold claw setting. I don''t know how to post pictures I''m afraid - but I''m sure you can imagine it!

The real issue is - I don''t like the shape of the stone. What I really wanted all along is a rectangular stone like a emerald or radient cut. I really love the idea of 3 stones set - all emerald cut. Ruby with two small diamonds either side. We are on a very tight budget and my hubby is not the sort to suprise me, so we cannot just buy a new stone. Do you think it would be possible to recut my existing stone to an emerald or radient shape from an oval cut???

I''m sorry I don''t have all the statistics for my ruby (bought it over 2 years ago) from a jewller and don''t think it even came with a certificate just a receipt - although I have had several other jewellers confirm it is a ruby.
Please can you help me or am I wasting my time dreaming....? Thanks in advanced for the advice.
21.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
no it is not possible you would end up with a tiny tiny stone.
A EC or radiant don''t fit inside a oval without a lot of loss.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, thankyou for letting me know Karl.
39.gif
Guess I''ll just have to wait for the 10 year anniversary then...

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
You could set it into something like the attached - this would give an overall "square" idea with the oval in the middle. I doubt this would be cheaper than finding another em-cut ruby of 0.9 ct, but it would preserve the stone.

pizi3.jpg

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I thought rubies in that size were pretty pricey! Resetting wouldn''t be cheaper?

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooo thats a nice idea! Thanks very much for showing me that.
face23.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/13/2008 10:54:05 AM
Author: Kelli
I thought rubies in that size were pretty pricey! Resetting wouldn''t be cheaper?

It depends a lot...a really nice quality ruby at that size is very pricey. But there is a lot of variation in the quality of rubies.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results