shape
carat
color
clarity

Recommendations for alexandrite (or ruby) eternity band

freezing_in_MO

Shiny_Rock
I have scoured the forum for advice on where to purchase an eternity band set with rubies. I think I overdid it :???:

The band will be an alternate to my wedding set. I have a stainless steel watch with great sentimental value, and my wedding set is rose gold. I would rather have my watch and band match. I know :oops:

What I am looking for is a simple and thin band (around 3 mm) with round channel-set stones (about 2 mm in diameter). I would like platinum rather than white gold because it is more durable. It seems to me that having a full eternity would subject the stones to more wear, rather than a partial eternity where the back would be plain metal and more durable. I don't do anything rough and am careful with my jewelry, but I intend to wear the band very regularly and don't want to worry about damaging it.

Alexandrite is my birthstone. I know that good alexandrite is difficult to find and bad alexandrite looks muddy, but I am wondering if the tiny size I need would still be rare. If that is the case, another durable stone would be just as good. Rubies come to mind.

Gemvara offers exactly what I have in mind:
http://www.gemvara.com/jewelry/slim-band/platinum-ring-with-alexandrite/7qjdl

My main concern is the quality of the craftsmanship. I am very fortunate to have a wedding set from MCII, for which I received invaluable advice here on PriceScope. I have contacted them for a quote on the band, but I don't want to spend a lot of money on this one and their price is likely to be over my budget (around $2000).

I have read the list of recommended vendors, but I see that most of the gemstone jewelry discussed here involves large (and very beautiful) stones. I am hoping to receive a more specific recommendation for a vendor who would work with tiny stones. I would rather not buy the stones separately, but am open to that possibility if it makes a significant difference to price or quality.

The vendors I am considering are Brian Gavin, IDJ, and Gemvara (the only one that offers alexandrite). I know Gemvara is relatively new. Their customers seem happy, but the web page has a mass-market feel to it.

I would be very grateful for advice on:
1. Whether to purchase the stones separately
2. Whether my budget is realistic for a high-quality piece
3. The vendor - especially experiences with Gemvara
4. Whether alexandrite would be a feasible choice

Many thanks for taking the time to read my post. I know that it is very mundane compared to the gorgeous pieces discussed on this forum :)

agingsparkle

Shiny_Rock
Yvonne Raley on etsy has a ring with alexandrite melee, although I haven't seen her make a fully traditional eternity band. But she does custom work, so it might be worth contacting her to see if she has access to any more...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ruby goes super well with yellow gold although sometimes they do all right with a white metal. The problem with Alexandrite is that they usually have a weird colour most of the time, being that we are often in mixed lighting. Getting alexandrite melees that are matched in size and colour-ways is another challenge. I would leave trying to find any melees up to the vendor/bench.

Gemvara isn't new but they are a large company that caters to the masses, meaning commercial quality whereby the items are mass produced and the item you receive may not look like what is pictured. In short, I personally would not purchase anything from Gemvara. I expect BGD to be the most expensive vendor of those listed. IDJ can do a good job inexpensively but I'm not as confident on their ability to find good quality CS.

A budget of $2K will get you a quality piece but not with quality melees (the rubies will definitely be heated and probably diffused, the alexandrites won't be top notch but will be somewhat decent) if you are going with platinum.

freezing_in_MO

Shiny_Rock
Many thanks for taking the time to reply.

I agree that rubies look better in yellow gold. How about sapphires in platinum? Do you have suggestions for another durable colored stone?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sapphires in platinum is perfect!

freezing_in_MO

Shiny_Rock
Thanks! I actually considered that David Wein ring. It is beautiful. My only hesitation is the white gold. Have you seen their custom work?

What about tsavorite as the stone? Too soft?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, tsavorite is too soft for everyday wear, more so as eternity ring stones.

freezing_in_MO

Shiny_Rock
So far I have positive responses from David Wein, Brian Gavin Diamonds, Facets, and Maytal Hannah. I understand that David is known for alexandrite and Maytal for good craftsmanship.

Which would you recommend? I will be wearing the ring as an alternate wedding band (by itself) very regularly.

Edited because I forgot to mention Facets.

freezing_in_MO

Shiny_Rock
Thanks to agingsparkle, Chrono, and LoversKites!

I received my ring from Maytal Hannah today. We went with rubies set in platinum. It is a tiny, delicate work of art. The rubies are very pretty and perfectly matched, and she managed to fit in two rows of microscopic milgrain on a 2 mm band!

I will upload a better picture later. I wanted to express my gratitude for the help right away.

img_2997_0.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Such a tiny picture. Any other pictures? HUGE ones please. :))

freezing_in_MO

Shiny_Rock
I am happy to oblige! I will need to use the proper camera, because the phone camera can barely focus on it.

It's unbelievably tiny! I bet it was ten times harder to make than a more typically-sized ring.

Thanks again for your help! I have learned a lot from your posts!

My husband hates PriceScope :lol: He blames everyone here for introducing me to MC2, Maytal, and now Dana :angel:

Sungura

Brilliant_Rock
I am really excited by the double rows of milgrain. Want to see more more more

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful color! Combination of ruby and platinum should be durable enough for everyday wear as well.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results