shape
carat
color
clarity

radiant FIY stone received, different?

cactus88

Rough_Rock
Hi expert, if you could recall I did post to ask one radiant FIY stone from leibish. I did go ahead and purchased it . here is the stone. However it seems a bit different from the leibish picture from the actual stone, when i see from the front, i see a lot of bling bline stars , also in terms of color, it is a bit dark and light? but i can see canary yellow with better natural light

But it is so small, just like 0.7 carat size of round brilliant

img_20140801_135529.jpg

img_20140801_135458.jpg

img_20140801_135509.jpg

img_20140801_135842.jpg

kroshka

Brilliant_Rock
Is this the 1.02 carat fancy intense yellow?

Kroshka

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think it is a beauty but I don't think this is the stone for you. From the start, you've had your reservations about size and you still think it is too small. If it isn't making you happy, move on. You may, however, have to think about your parameters. Can you afford to go larger or will you have to give up colour or clarity?

Also, stop comparing a FCD with a white diamond. They are cut to different standards, to achieve different goals. A coloured diamond is cut to maximize depth of colour (just one grade higher will have a huge impact on price) and weight. A white diamond is cut to minimize colour and maximize colour return. It is just apples to oranges, specially if you add the different shape as well (radiant vs round).

Colour in a stone does change from light source to light source. A stone will look different under studio light, incandescent, sun light, etc. Another factor is that each monitor is different (mine tends to warm up colour) and, unless both you and the vendor have calibrated monitors, there will also be a difference. That is why it is important to actually see the stone in hand, just like you did, so you can make a final decision. With experience and knowing a vendor, it becomes easier to judge a colour on screen.

One thing that photos rarely convey is how the stone reflects light and the gorgeous interplay of the facets!

A little more advice. Instead of thinking about carat weight, think about mm measurements. What size stone would you like? Then, look for stones within that range, regardless of weight, and judge the cut.

kroshka

Brilliant_Rock
It looks nice to me and right off the bat, it looked like it was fancy intense yellow with regards to the color. That said, I agree with what Lady Disdain said - stop comparing FCDs to white diamonds in terms of cut. As far as color and the cut for this stone, I think it looks good, but do you like it? It sounds like you have a lot of doubts because of the face up size, etc. While it is always nice to have an FCD that faces up the same as it should for its carat weight, that isn't the most important factor for an FCD. You could look for another stone, perhaps if you could find a well cut oval, that might look bigger to your eye but will the cut and color match as nice as this one?

Kroshka

cactus88

Rough_Rock
Lady_Disdain|1406920105|3724573 said:
I think it is a beauty but I don't think this is the stone for you. From the start, you've had your reservations about size and you still think it is too small. If it isn't making you happy, move on. You may, however, have to think about your parameters. Can you afford to go larger or will you have to give up colour or clarity?

Also, stop comparing a FCD with a white diamond. They are cut to different standards, to achieve different goals. A coloured diamond is cut to maximize depth of colour (just one grade higher will have a huge impact on price) and weight. A white diamond is cut to minimize colour and maximize colour return. It is just apples to oranges, specially if you add the different shape as well (radiant vs round).

Colour in a stone does change from light source to light source. A stone will look different under studio light, incandescent, sun light, etc. Another factor is that each monitor is different (mine tends to warm up colour) and, unless both you and the vendor have calibrated monitors, there will also be a difference. That is why it is important to actually see the stone in hand, just like you did, so you can make a final decision. With experience and knowing a vendor, it becomes easier to judge a colour on screen.

One thing that photos rarely convey is how the stone reflects light and the gorgeous interplay of the facets!

A little more advice. Instead of thinking about carat weight, think about mm measurements. What size stone would you like? Then, look for stones within that range, regardless of weight, and judge the cut.

Hi lady_disdain, thanks a lot for comments. It was in the last moment did i noticed the dimension tends to small after negotiation closed to my offer. I must say i did my homework poor

I agree with you you have to see it in person to know if this is what for you. When first on diamond hunting, i was looking at the colorless diamond, educated myself on 4C , HCA and along with other paramters . And one day I see an FCD online, I love it and decide to go with FCD. When searching colorless diamond, I did visit local stores to feel about the size/weight of diamonds . My inital search were all on round brilliant.

When it came to FCD, it is more on fancy shape (and cheaper in fancy shape compared to round for FCD). so my mind keep comparing size with colorless diamond round brilliant because I only physically tried with round brilliant sizing

When i first see this diamond after received, i was a bit disappointed. as i looked at it more i started to get used to the size and likes it better.

I will try it with different light and see if its good. I also scheduled an appraisal coming week to verify some parameter if i declide to keep it.

Again thanks a lot for your comments

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I feel your colored diamond pain! From my vantage, the diamond looks beautiful.

Notwithstanding, any chance you can look--IRL--for the color/shape/size you prefer? I ask this because what I thought I "wanted" was not what I wanted. In other words, when I viewed several colored diamonds, IRL, it influenced my perspective, especially the color. That said, settings can make a difference.....

Don't settle. That is what return policies are for.

cheers--Sharon

susiegrneyes

Shiny_Rock
I echo the sentiment of the others. You have to love it. If you didn't open the box and think "wow, it's even more awesome in person", then return it and try again.

cactus88

Rough_Rock
susiegrneyes|1406939700|3724709 said:
I echo the sentiment of the others. You have to love it. If you didn't open the box and think "wow, it's even more awesome in person", then return it and try again.

Hi Thanks for kindness. Yes..I should make sure I love it . otherwise, I will return it and continue to search the one

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I think it looks beautiful, but I have to agree with the others that you have to love it. I also agree with Lady Disdain's comments.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lady_Disdain|1406920105|3724573 said:

+1. Many have advised about the size but it is still bothering you, hence I do not think it is the right stone for you. Given that size is important to you, you may have to re-evaluate your specifications, either increasing your budget or going for something with less saturation.

cactus88

Rough_Rock
I really appreciate all comments regarding my concern. I am OK with size now. I know have another concern,When i exam the diamond, i do see tilt window(see through when tilt , so i called it tilt window. correct me if i am wrong)
Should i be worried?

pictures below show 2 tilt window facing left

img_20140801_135818.jpg

img_20140801_135816.jpg

img_20140801_135536.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you cup it in your hand, can you still see it?

cactus88

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1407855686|3730860 said:
If you cup it in your hand, can you still see it?

not sure if i got you correctly. I put the stone on my hands, it is harder to see from side, but i can still see tilt window

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To look for a window, your eyes must be perpendicular to the table of the stone, not looking at it from the side view. A true window is separate from a tilt window. At some point, depending on the angle, you will get a tilt window. This is unavoidable. How much it bothers you or is acceptable to you will depend on your tolerance level. Again, know that coloured stones (and diamonds) are cut for colour. It is almost impossible for a FCD to have the same cut as a colourless diamond, without sacrificing either colour or material, or sometimes, both.

When a stone is set, the setting partially blocks and reflects back differently, making tilt windows much harder to see.

cactus88

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1407864124|3730944 said:
To look for a window, your eyes must be perpendicular to the table of the stone, not looking at it from the side view. A true window is separate from a tilt window. At some point, depending on the angle, you will get a tilt window. This is unavoidable. How much it bothers you or is acceptable to you will depend on your tolerance level. Again, know that coloured stones (and diamonds) are cut for colour. It is almost impossible for a FCD to have the same cut as a colourless diamond, without sacrificing either colour or material, or sometimes, both.

When a stone is set, the setting partially blocks and reflects back differently, making tilt windows much harder to see.

Chrono,thanks a lot for the comments and helpful info.

I did not see window when seeing perpendicular to the table of the stone. But i do see window when stone is tilted to a certain angle. Is that window i see tilt window?

Is tilt window common and unavoidable thing?

Should i not need to worry about the tilt window? The stone has big table of 72% and big depth of 77.2%. color is good

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes and yes. How far do you have to tilt it before you can see the tilt window? How big is it? Observe these with the naked eye at normal viewing conditions and distance only.

cactus88

Rough_Rock
It is sort of hard to measure, when i tilted about 10-20 degree, i see tilt window. about 25-30% of table size

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cactus88|1407962947|3731738 said:
It is sort of hard to measure, when i tilted about 10-20 degree, i see tilt window. about 25-30% of table size

This is when it is viewed with the stone placed in the groove between your fingers (on the back of your hand) or loose on a flat surface?

cactus88

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1407963266|3731743 said:
cactus88|1407962947|3731738 said:

This is when it is viewed with the stone placed in the groove between your fingers (on the back of your hand) or loose on a flat surface?

the stone was in the tiny square box vendor shipped out. I viewed it from the box

I tried to put it in flat surface, but hard to turn it since it is so small

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Try holding it with your fingertips, cupped up to the girdle, so you see it sort of as you would if it were set. Then tilt your hand enough to check if you see a tilt window & how big it is.

cactus88

Rough_Rock
JewelFreak|1407973887|3731870 said:
Try holding it with your fingertips, cupped up to the girdle, so you see it sort of as you would if it were set. Then tilt your hand enough to check if you see a tilt window & how big it is.

thanks i will try it tomorrow.it is dark now..

cactus88

Rough_Rock
JewelFreak|1407973887|3731870 said:

I tried what you suggested . I did see the tilt window when tilted about 15degree(estimation) and see about 25-35% of table size

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm....15 degrees isn't much at all. Would this be a deal breaker for you?

cactus88

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1408024476|3732247 said:
Hmmm....15 degrees isn't much at all. Would this be a deal breaker for you?

Good question, how much harm or reduction value would be added for stone with tilt window?

Or what degree of tilt window is neligable

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stones are judged face up, not at an angle, hence there isn't much of a price reduction for a tilt window, if any.
What is the type of setting you plan to use (solitaire, halo, bezel, etc) and metal type?

cactus88

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1408030328|3732315 said:
Stones are judged face up, not at an angle, hence there isn't much of a price reduction for a tilt window, if any.
What is the type of setting you plan to use (solitaire, halo, bezel, etc) and metal type?

thanks

I am thinking solitaire. Making this stone the only diamond 18K gold. But undecide whether goes for yellow gold or white gold

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results