shape
carat
color
clarity

questions about Alexandrite

gemgirl59

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hello, I am new to learning about and buying gemstones, already have my favorites, as I am sure you all do. I am interested in alexandrite, but read SOOOO much conflicting information about them, their value, etc. I am at a loss who else to ask and why I should believe them? What color is an alexandrite??? I read and believed, up until yesterday, LOL, that alexandrites are color change stones that go from green to red, depth of color varying. I surf the web, looking at examples of gem stones I have interest in and keep seeing "GIA certified Natural Alexandrite" purple stones that change to blue with 5 digit prices...no hint of green or red? Really? Help me out here, but that sounds like maybe a color change sapphire......very confused...........

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Purple to blue sounds like the alexandrite simulant, which is synthetic colour change sapphire.

This is a very good read and should answer most of your questions:
http://www.alexandrite.net/chapters/

gemgirl59

Rough_Rock
Trade
Thanks, I am reading the stuff you posted for me! Still, about this particular alexandrite ring for sale online, the certificate says turns from blue/green to gray/purple, so I guess it has some green to qualify, but for the $24,000. price tag, figured it would be an unmistakable rich green to red. I bought a few alexandrites and am VERY pleased at the clarity and distinct medium green color they are. If there is that much fraud regarding these gemstones, I wondered if I could even make jewelry with them and be able to sell them at all without proper id/appraisal documentation. The company I purchased them from offer appraisals, but declined, thinking a third party with no relationship with the sale of the gems would be a better choice. Your input would be very appreciated.....

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd never buy an Alexandrite without a grading report from AGL.

There are other labs but for my money for a stone that is uber-expensive and possibly fake or treated it's AGL only for me.
I hear they are have the best expertise.

http://aglgemlab.com/submission-guidelines/

I'd tell the seller, no AGL report no sale.

gemgirl59

Rough_Rock
Trade
Yeah, my mistake....they charge for an appraisal, but when you spend the amount I did on a stone, seems the professional thing to do to include a report.....they are a nice green color, but I saw no color change in these stones at all, unfortunately........

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, a lab report is best with all the simulants and synthetics abound, considering the high price. Gemgirl, are you in the trade or considering being trade? You mentioned making jewellery and selling them.

Cognition

Rough_Rock
kenny|1433387338|3884929 said:
I'd never buy an Alexandrite without a grading report from AGL.

There are other labs but for my money for a stone that is uber-expensive and possibly fake or treated it's AGL only for me.
I hear they are have the best expertise.

http://aglgemlab.com/submission-guidelines/

I'd tell the seller, no AGL report no sale.

:-o
you do not trust gubelin for an alex???? any particular reasons? Beside, having an extra hue, tone, clarity, etc.

Personally, I can be careless on these "extras". As long as I love the color of the stone, it is accompanied by gubelin or GRS certificate, and the price is reasonable, I will buy the stone.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just want to correct what I think maybe one assumption being made in this thread. I noticed it in the article Chrono posted as well.

There seems to be an emphasis placed on green to red alexandrite. I have not seen one and doubt I will ever have the opportunity despite having seen more alex than I care to count. This is because afaik, the only green to red alex was the original source form the Ural mountains, long since played out. What I see now considered as top color change alex are those that change from a green in daylight to a reddish purple/violet in incandescent light. Blue is not a color you should see in alex. Weak color changers or stones that lack saturation, may change from a greyish green to a brownish violet, if that helps.

alex_daylight_11-01-14_2.jpg

alex_night_1_11-01-14_1.jpg

alex_night_2_11-01-14_2.jpg

alex_in_sun_11-01-14_2.jpg

gemgirl59

Rough_Rock
Trade
Chrono, I love learning about gemstones, their characteristics and history and have began buying loose stones to place into settings for sale (ok, a few for me, too) and select jewelry pieces with rarer gems, for later resale. If I could afford the $24K tuition, would have packed up to attend a GIA school already...being positive that will change in the future. For now, I am, a voracious reader regarding gems, their values, types of treatments, looking at thousands of pics from companies from NY to Jaipur, of what a good gem, compared to a great gem, is supposed to look like and am thrilled to find this site to maybe fill in the areas I can't find answers for, like the maze of conflicting info regarding alexandrites. There are enough topic threads to keep me out of trouble reading for a while........

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
gemgirl59|1433436120|3885123 said:
Chrono, I love learning about gemstones, their characteristics and history and have began buying loose stones to place into settings for sale (ok, a few for me, too) and select jewelry pieces with rarer gems, for later resale. If I could afford the $24K tuition, would have packed up to attend a GIA school already...being positive that will change in the future. For now, I am, a voracious reader regarding gems, their values, types of treatments, looking at thousands of pics from companies from NY to Jaipur, of what a good gem, compared to a great gem, is supposed to look like and am thrilled to find this site to maybe fill in the areas I can't find answers for, like the maze of conflicting info regarding alexandrites. There are enough topic threads to keep me out of trouble reading for a while........

So it sounds like you would qualify as a Trade member here. It would be a good idea for you to contact the Mods and find out whether you need to designate yourself as Trade. It comes with certain limitations.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
gemgirl59|1433436120|3885123 said:

This is a nice cheap alexandrite lot - perfect learner stones. The middle right has a very nice quality!

Buy this and a dichroscope...you will have a lot fun....

http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?/details/alexandrite/yax502aq/&1244716636

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
minousbijoux|1433437069|3885128 said:
I know they must be small, but not even listing the mm size? :lol: ;))

2,8-3 mm - Editor comment!! :wavey:

gemgirl59

Rough_Rock
Trade
Thanks minousbijoux for adding that info and pics are great. I have not seen RED, either, though for me, I am only looking at pictures of. These 2 stones are a clear and a lovely true green(not blue/green) in daylight changing to a lighter purplish gray, in incandescent light .....apparently plenty color change and clarity to be quite desirable, compared to ads online that post both colors. One of them has tiny flashes of a peachy pink. which is very attractive. Thanks for your help!

gemgirl59

Rough_Rock
Trade
minousbijoux, I figured I was far from "being in the Trade", I haven't even sold anything yet and have a collection of gems and jewelry that would all fit in a single lunch bag with room to spare for an apple! But if I am buying with the intent to resell, that may make a difference.....I promise I will contact the Mods to be sure, thanks for suggesting.

gemgirl59

Rough_Rock
Trade
Thanks Marlow, that small alexandrite lot a great practice idea and I bookmarked that site for future buying and as a resource for comparison prices. I ordered, but have not recieved yet, a parcel mixed, faceted precious and semi-precious stones, I can't wait to learn and practice identifying gemstones with, from a well know, reputable company, but don't expect any Alexandrites, color change Sapphires/garnets or Paraiba tourmalines to be in there for $40, LOL! I am purchasing one gemology tool at a time, as budget allows and sounds like the dicroscope needs to be the next buy...I get so excited chatting about it! Thank so much for your input! You guys rock!

gemgirl59

Rough_Rock
Trade
Thanks, Cognition, for your input, I bookmarked this labs you listed as well....the more resources for learning. the better! These 2 Alexandrites I bought may not dazzle with neon color change, but certainly merit with their size.....at 2+ carats each, I am excited, not disappointed, I got them.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
gemgirl59|1433447550|3885227 said:
Thanks Marlow, that small alexandrite lot a great practice idea and I bookmarked that site for future buying and as a resource for comparison prices. I ordered, but have not recieved yet, a parcel mixed, faceted precious and semi-precious stones, I can't wait to learn and practice identifying gemstones with, from a well know, reputable company, but don't expect any Alexandrites, color change Sapphires/garnets or Paraiba tourmalines to be in there for $40, LOL! I am purchasing one gemology tool at a time, as budget allows and sounds like the dicroscope needs to be the next buy...I get so excited chatting about it! Thank so much for your input! You guys rock!

Bookmark this fantastic site too

http://gemstonemagnetism.com/

The cheapest and easiest to use tool!! Imagine a brown garnet - no reaction = hessonite --- reaction = spessartine rich garnet. A must have in a gem show -

A gem with a "green" to "red color change - no refractometer, no polariscope and dichroscope around - but the cc garnet will stick to the magnet, the alexandrite will show no reaction....A synthetic green CZ and a demantoid - one second and you know what it is.

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
gemgirl59|1433441955|3885179 said:
minousbijoux, I figured I was far from "being in the Trade", I haven't even sold anything yet and have a collection of gems and jewelry that would all fit in a single lunch bag with room to spare for an apple! But if I am buying with the intent to resell, that may make a difference.....I promise I will contact the Mods to be sure, thanks for suggesting.

If you are buying with the intent to resell, yes you are a trade member and must register as such. Please also make sure to read the trade specific policies:

https://www.pricescope.com/content/forum-policies

gemgirl59

Rough_Rock
Trade
Thank you Ella, for your quick reply to my question about needing to register as a trade person....just didn't realize thinking trade person was like someone in a more expert, professional capacity like a jeweler, gemologist, appaiser, etc, will correct, NP. Thanks!

gemgirl59

Rough_Rock
Trade
Thanks Marlow, I am buying a few N52 magnets tomorrow. I love garnets and slowly collecting one of each of the very vast varieties and colors they come in as I can afford it. I have several Masasi Bordeaux color shift garnets that are supposed to be magnetic, too, I believe. The fact that garnets aren't treated, but come OTG(out of the ground) that way, makes them more awesome and interesting, to me!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
gemgirl59|1433469139|3885353 said:
Thanks Marlow, I am buying a few N52 magnets tomorrow. I love garnets and slowly collecting one of each of the very vast varieties and colors they come in as I can afford it. I have several Masasi Bordeaux color shift garnets that are supposed to be magnetic, too, I believe. The fact that garnets aren't treated, but come OTG(out of the ground) that way, makes them more awesome and interesting, to me!
Sorry to burst your bubble but there are now clarity enhanced garnets. :knockout:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry but can I just address a few points above?

Some Alex (particularly from Brazil) will show a blue/green (think teal) in daylight. However, it's a specific blue/green - NOT just blue. A blue/green is acceptable from this location.

In terms of green to red. The best Alex WILL be green in daylight (I've had one of mine mistaken for an Emerald in a jewellery store!). All of mine are daylight green. In terms of red, this is definitely misleading. The majority of Alex will look purple/red, purple/pink in incandescent lighting. It's probably more correct to say "Emerald by day and Amethyst by night" but this doesn't co-ordinate with the colours of Russia!!!! The purple in a good Alex is a much more red than you'd see in an Amethyst though. So whilst they're not Ruby Red they're not really Amethyst either but somewhere in between!

DO NOT EVER buy an Alex without a lab report. Synthetics are amazingly good and do need great equipment to sniff them out. I would trust Gubelin and SSEF as well as AGL.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
LD|1433845865|3886839 said:

Some Alex (particularly from Brazil) will show a blue/green (think teal) in daylight. However, it's a specific blue/green - NOT just blue. A blue/green is acceptable from this location.

In terms of green to red. The best Alex WILL be green in daylight (I've had one of mine mistaken for an Emerald in a jewellery store!). All of mine are daylight green. In terms of red, this is definitely misleading. The majority of Alex will look purple/red, purple/pink in incandescent lighting. It's probably more correct to say "Emerald by day and Amethyst by night" but this doesn't co-ordinate with the colours of Russia!!!! The purple in a good Alex is a much more red than you'd see in an Amethyst though. So whilst they're not Ruby Red they're not really Amethyst either but somewhere in between!

DO NOT EVER buy an Alex without a lab report. Synthetics are amazingly good and do need great equipment to sniff them out. I would trust Gubelin and SSEF as well as AGL.

:-o :errrr:

REALLY??? PLEAAASSSSSEEEEE post a picture :love: :love:

A fine green is so rare - I am happy with a fine bluishgreen(teal - peacock) changing to a fine Rhodolite color...

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marlow|1433878148|3887015 said:
LD|1433845865|3886839 said:

:-o :errrr:

REALLY??? PLEAAASSSSSEEEEE post a picture :love: :love:

A fine green is so rare - I am happy with a fine bluishgreen(teal - peacock) changing to a fine Rhodolite color...

Marlow I have NEVER been able to capture any of my Alex with a high degree of accuracy no matter what camera I use. I think it must be possible but if so, I've never found out how. It doesn't matter how green they look, as soon as I put them in front of the camera all I see is their incandescent colourway (even in daylight). I've just bought a new camera so I'll have a go again but I know even David of Multicolour has to adjust his photos so they resemble the stone! So I'm not sure I've got much chance!!!!!

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
Best I've gotten: more red irl, the green is saturated, no bleeding irl.

_30989.jpg

_30990.jpg

gemgirl59

Rough_Rock
Trade
Is that a natural alexandrite? Didn't know they could be that vivid........what is a stone like valued at? That is absolutely gorgeous! And what kind of camera took that perfect pic? I have been watching videos about taking pictures of my for sale items, lighting, etc. You cannot get a crisper shot than that!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
gemgirl59|1433986830|3887649 said:
Is that a natural alexandrite? Didn't know they could be that vivid........what is a stone like valued at? That is absolutely gorgeous! And what kind of camera took that perfect pic? I have been watching videos about taking pictures of my for sale items, lighting, etc. You cannot get a crisper shot than that!

You cannot value an Alex from a photo because the majority of the value is in the colour change - something a camera cannot capture accurately. To value an Alex you look at colour change, the colour in both natural and incandescent lighting situations (because it's difficult to get a stone that's pretty in both), the size and clarity. Location really doesn't play much of a part because Russian Alex is virtually unobtainable - and even if you could get it, the colour change (surprisingly) together with clarity is typically compromised.

What I can tell you is that Alex has doubled/trebled/quadrupled over the years because so little of quality is being mined. Having said that, mining is going on at the mo but not in significant quantities to drive the price downwards.

In terms of pricing it's exceptionally difficult to value an Alex because collectors always want top quality specimens.

I don't know if you've read it but I wrote a thread all about Alex that you may find helpful. I'll link to it when I find it!

ETA here you go! [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/have-you-really-got-an-alexandrite-read-this-first.179784/?hilit=Russian%20Alexandrite']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/have-you-really-got-an-alexandrite-read-this-first.179784/?hilit=Russian%20Alexandrite[/URL]

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
LD|1434013932|3887746 said:

You cannot value an Alex from a photo because the majority of the value is in the colour change - something a camera cannot capture accurately. To value an Alex you look at colour change, the colour in both natural and incandescent lighting situations (because it's difficult to get a stone that's pretty in both), the size and clarity. Location really doesn't play much of a part because Russian Alex is virtually unobtainable - and even if you could get it, the colour change (surprisingly) together with clarity is typically compromised.

What I can tell you is that Alex has doubled/trebled/quadrupled over the years because so little of quality is being mined. Having said that, mining is going on at the mo but not in significant quantities to drive the price downwards.

In terms of pricing it's exceptionally difficult to value an Alex because collectors always want top quality specimens.

I don't know if you've read it but I wrote a thread all about Alex that you may find helpful. I'll link to it when I find it!

ETA here you go! [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/have-you-really-got-an-alexandrite-read-this-first.179784/?hilit=Russian%20Alexandrite']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/have-you-really-got-an-alexandrite-read-this-first.179784/?hilit=Russian%20Alexandrite[/URL]

Yes, russian alexandrite was (is?) a biproduct of emerald mining ( Dr. Schmetzer: 1:100-1:200) - an most of gem alexandrite will not leave russia.

Only hematita ( BRA) produces fine alexandrite but honestly Multicolorgems is the only vendor who offers fine gems from this location I know at the moment.

India stopped to my knowledge after the Tsunami 2004; Tanzania ( Lake Manyara ) has many problem with included (cloud or zones of opake areas mixed with clear parts), other sources produce only a few stones with a strong change. Same with Sri Lanka.
Simbabwe ( Novello claims) alex was dark and small - I don't if there is a production at the moment.

Interesting is maybe the second market - collectors selling some stones from the rush around 1988-1990 - but they know the material and it is expensive too.

And honestly - you get for the same amount of a boring medium or lower quality alex a very nice color changing garnet - so many excellent sources in Madagascar, Tanzania and Kenia...

So fine larger alex with a good clarity and strong CC is really rare...

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marlow|1434030435|3887801 said:
LD|1434013932|3887746 said:

ETA here you go! [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/have-you-really-got-an-alexandrite-read-this-first.179784/?hilit=Russian%20Alexandrite']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/have-you-really-got-an-alexandrite-read-this-first.179784/?hilit=Russian%20Alexandrite[/URL][/

Yes, russian alexandrite was (is?) a biproduct of emerald mining ( Dr. Schmetzer: 1:100-1:200) - an most of gem alexandrite will not leave russia.

Only hematita ( BRA) produces fine alexandrite but honestly Multicolorgems is the only vendor who offers fine gems from this location I know at the moment.

India stopped to my knowledge after the Tsunami 2004; Tanzania ( Lake Manyara ) has many problem with included (cloud or zones of opake areas mixed with clear parts), other sources produce only a few stones with a strong change. Same with Sri Lanka.
Simbabwe ( Novello claims) alex was dark and small - I don't if there is a production at the moment.

Interesting is maybe the second market - collectors selling some stones from the rush around 1988-1990 - but they know the material and it is expensive too.

And honestly - you get for the same amount of a boring medium or lower quality alex a very nice color changing garnet - so many excellent sources in Madagascar, Tanzania and Kenia...

So fine larger alex with a good clarity and strong CC is really rare...

I agree with everything you say apart from two things (1) I don't agree that Brazil produces the finest alex. I find the daylight colour can be too dark although the incandescent is typically lovely and (2) the Tanzanian mine in Tunduru produced some very fine specimens (see my Avatar) that weren't cloudy or opaque ;-)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results