shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about rubellite value

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DH bought a rubellite ring for me many years ago. As you can see from pics, I haven't worn it yet and now I'd like to figure out what to do with it and hoping CS forum can assist. I've been looking at rubellite prices online and they vary a bit depending on color. I took a few shots but really don't know enough to judge quality. What quality of rubellite do I have? I imagine it has some sort of treatment as the receipt didn't say anything except that it "may be treated." Does it have any resale value at all? It's a lively stone and brighter than photos show. I took these in north facing light later on in the day.

Not sure if it makes sense to try to sell the ring as is, sell stone and setting separately or reset to wear. TIA.

20140723_181254-1_1_.jpg

20140723_181250-1_1_.jpg

20140723_181217-1_1_.jpg

20140723_181119-1_1_.jpg

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
Do you wear yellow gold? Rhodium plating?
I'm just throwing it out there. I think the stone is pretty, but I like those saturated ones. :D

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks texaskj. I don't usually wear yg so most likely would sell or scrap if resetting.

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
I have been looking at a lot of Rubellite lately and if we were to assume it's only been heated, which most are, I'd expect to see that stone priced in the $100-200 price per carat range.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately selling jewellery/stones on the second hand market is hit and miss and certainly you're unlikely to recoup the actual cost of the ring. :(

What this ring has going for it is that it looks to have a good gold weight so that would be a selling point. Rubellites are not terribly sought after as (unfortunately) many TV shopping channels have/do sell them. Having said that, yours looks to be a nice colour and hopefully it doesn't brown out in incandescent lighting that many of them do? Yours is a nice Rubellite colour and so I think would appeal to people.

If I were you, I'd look online at what similar carat weight stones are selling for on the second hand market and that'll give you an indication of what you might achieve. As I said though, the ring shank may appeal to people and they may buy it just for that/the gold weight.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for responding GregS and LD. The issue I'm having trying to price the resale is the wide price range for rubellite. Ebay prices are either 20 bucks or few hundred. The stone was sold as Nigerian rubellite which implied higher quality but I'm not sure the resale market accounts for that. The setting is substantial so is it worth just selling the setting or not? I like the stone so would like to reset if it ends up being a giveaway to setting.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
What size is the ring?

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
baby monster|1406340651|3720761 said:

So that's a good sized ring with a bit of gold and diamond weight too. 14kt I'm guessing?

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ElvisPrasiolite, thanks for the info. I'll look into consignment. I'd prefer to see outright rather than lengthy consignment but that might get me a bigger return.

Andelain, the setting is actually 18K with good amount of diamonds.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
baby monster|1406472863|3721471 said:
ElvisPrasiolite, thanks for the info. I'll look into consignment. I'd prefer to see outright rather than lengthy consignment but that might get me a bigger return.

Andelain, the setting is actually 18K with good amount of diamonds.

Try listing it on DB. Stuff can sell pretty quickly on there.

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
ElvisPrasiolite|1406478776|3721501 said:
GregS|1406474747|3721486 said:
I'd like to see a 2000 ppc Rubelite.

There out there, believe me. The world of high end retail, & our internet world are prices apart. On the internet, many of us are more knowledgeable, looking for better deals. In high end retail, it is more of a, look, see what I paid for this! These people have disposable income. A $2000.00 a carat rubellite, is but a pittance to many of these people, when they pay $15,000 - $40,000 a carat for ruby. Hell, they think their getting a deal, & they are, as far as their concerned. These people want to hold something in hand, before buying, & don't trust the internet. Don't trust how a $2000.00 a carat Rubellite might be $700.00 to 800.00 on the net. I've been dealing through high end retail for twenty years, I know their prices, & their customers.

There are also places on the net, many places, where Rubellite is getting very expensive, & it is, everywhere, unless you're lucking enough to find someone who needs money & wants to get rid of a stone.

Here is one of the most respected names in the gemstone/jewelry business. He claims wholesale prices, & he is right in line with other well respected wholesalers like Pala. This is the true American wholesale, as far as high end retail is concerned. Be prepared for sticker shock! I use to buy from Marc, great guy! Here is his rubellite page:

http://www.africagems.com/ruto.html
I am very familiar with AfricaGems, Marc Sarosi is a great guy with beautiful gems. I'm also very familiar with their Rubelite, the $535 trillion on that page is mine, it's being set at the moment by my local jeweler. He may be on the higher end of the price spectrum but I needed a high quality stone fast and he delivered. As for the Op's stone I stand by my original guess as to what they could expect to receive if sold on Loupe troop, 100-200 per carat, possibly more if re-cut as it appears dark and the checkered top is a deterrence for some.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ElvisPrasiolite|1406486455|3721566 said:
You can't judge the value of that Rubellite by that picture, you just can't. There is no such thing as $100.00 a carat rubellite anymore, unless so included, that it risks being cracked just by bumping it, LOL! Or someone is very motivated to sell, hence your Loop Troop. Just about the same goes for $200.00 a carat Rubellite. No. Not when there is regular Green Tourmaline out there asking $100.00 a carat, that is not even two carats. So, so pink tourmaline asking $200.00 a carat, that is not even two carats. These are the new prices. Find the old ones quick, because people, everything is shooting up, at a fantastic rate.

I am not commenting on this owner's stone, but I just wanted to reply to what you said. I have found the name "rubellite" tossed about by vendors to describe pink or reddish tourmaline that shifts to a very brownish color, or overly extinct material. I would not overpay for such material just because someone has given it the marketing name, "rubellite."

To everyone, there is high quality red and pink tourmaline and there is not as high quality, and the quality is based on saturation of color, and the ability to hold that color in various lighting without going overly brownish or turning into a black hole. Clarity is also an issue. Therefore, one should make judgments on the quality of color, not just the marketing name, that's all I'm saying.

As for treatment, you're on your own there, as it's not detectable.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you everyone for your feedback and thoughts. I was looking for an assessment and the replies allowed me to get a better sense for the value. I didn't realize checkerboard cuts were that unpopular but then I have very limited CS knowledge. The info on lighting was helpful. The stone does not brown out at night in electric light. It's remains dark pink. I will try to consign first without breaking up the ring although part of me really wants to keep the stone to reset even with all of its checkboarded goodness.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you will get the best price selling the ring as is (stone and setting). LoupeTroop is free and frequented by PSers. DiamondBistro costs 99 cents to list and has a mix of PSers and others. Most PSers may not appreciate checkerboard cuts but I noticed that most lay-consumers are not as particular. Some Tiffany and some other (the name eludes me at the moment) offer checkerboard jewellery that sell reasonably well. I would not do price comparison with eBay but with the vendor's list to see what is the closest in terms of colour, size, clarity and etc. It is best to compare it to another checkerboard cut stone.
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/can-we-start-a-new-thread-with-respected-cs-vendors.169561/page-5']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/can-we-start-a-new-thread-with-respected-cs-vendors.169561/page-5[/URL]

eastjavaman

Shiny_Rock
Beautiful stone. I am guessing it is 7-8 ct stone? Size and inclusions still matters, in fact more scrutinized than ruby. Eye clean is a must.
Although the price is loosely thrown out there, do not let that discouraged you(you should aim more than 100$/ct for eye clean, good fire, and untreated) as the stone itself is precious, rare, and definitely a keeper. Rubelitte is not normally treated, I have a rubellite myself.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
eastjavaman|1406867965|3724261 said:
Beautiful stone. I am guessing it is 7-8 ct stone? Size and inclusions still matters, in fact more scrutinized than ruby. Eye clean is a must.
Although the price is loosely thrown out there, do not let that discouraged you(you should aim more than 100$/ct for eye clean, good fire, and untreated) as the stone itself is precious, rare, and definitely a keeper. Rubelitte is not normally treated, I have a rubellite myself.

Rubellite, like emerald, is typically included. I don't think inclusions matter as much if the color is very saturated.

Actually very clean rubellite is typically suspect to me because it's probably some other color that was enhanced, or they're ones that shift to a more brownish or orangy color in some lighting. Some of the best colored rubellites I've ever seen though did have eye visible inclusons, but they hold their saturation in all lighting.

Here's an example of a Nigerian rubellite with very typical inclusions. Note how nice the color is though.

1013856_492787817492244_616280238_n_1_.jpg

PrecisionGem

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I think, at least from the pictures the stone is very nice. Personally I like the diamond checker cutting, much nicer cutting the the oval right above my posting. It's a lot more work from a cutters standpoint to, and this one looks well done. I don't think checker boards do any better job of hiding inclusions than any other cut with a far amount of facets. When choosing a checker board cut on a stone I have never had the idea of trying to hide inclusions.

PrecisionGem

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I agree with TL on this, the best color I rubellite I have seen have always been a bit, to a lot included. There was years ago some fantastic color material from Nigeria, it was a supper hot red color that just glowed, but every piece I have ever seen had some inclusion. But with that color, who cared!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PrecisionGem|1407164975|3725806 said:
I agree with TL on this, the best color I rubellite I have seen have always been a bit, to a lot included. There was years ago some fantastic color material from Nigeria, it was a supper hot red color that just glowed, but every piece I have ever seen had some inclusion. But with that color, who cared!

+1. The colour on that strike was spectacular; the colour was incredibly intense and I have not seen anything else comparable since. It also happened to be clarity challenged, ranging from barely eye clean to clearly included.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ElvisPrasiolite|1407187257|3725980 said:
Bought several stones from the start of the Nigeria find, fantastic color, & though there were inclusions, most were not easily eye visible, or the stone was eye clean, but this was from the very first of the strike. Still have three in my collection, sold the rest.

Yes, that Nigerian material was exceptional. I just think that people should not overlook a rubellite with great color just because it's included.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results