shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about price for Parti-Sapphire round cut?

Jajabis

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

I'm looking into a colored gem-stone to be in the setting for my gf's engagement ring. I've found a gem of my liking that is a Parti-Sapphire round cut 1.97 ct. The color doesn't show zoning, but is a unique blue/green sky color that matches my gf's eyes. I know color play's a major factor, but let's say it's the perfect color for me but for some it's a middle of the range. What would it go for? The round cut is flawless with zero intrusion's from what i can tell under eye and 10x.

I'm not a expert, that's why i'm asking on here!

Thanks for the help.

lkredhat

Rough_Rock
I'm a little confused. Are you asking what this gem should cost? (with so few specs, hard to say) Or are you asking if you should get a blue-green gem even if blue-green isn't the most popular color for this gem?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1. Did she ask specifically for a blue green ring? How do you know she'd want to wear a blue green ring 24/7 for the next 50 years? Just because you like it doesn't mean that she does too, especially as a engagement ring stone.

2. Any mixture of colour is considered zoning, so yes, technically, a parti or bi-coloured is considered zoned. However, when the demarcation is clean and obvious, it is more prized than random zoning.

3. Please post pictures of the item. Without pictures, it is akin to asking would you buy this red car? It's the perfect colour and has no dents but we are missing all the necessary information to tell you whether we would and why.

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
It's pretty hard to give you an idea without seeing it. I have a blue-green sapphire but the color is uniform throughout (not a "parti" and no zoning I can see). How dark/light the stone is and the quality of the cut plays in as well.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
+1 to previous posters saying we really need to see the stone before making a judgement about it in terms of price. Do you have photos to show us?

Jajabis

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1441799688|3925512 said:
1. Did she ask specifically for a blue green ring? How do you know she'd want to wear a blue green ring 24/7 for the next 50 years? Just because you like it doesn't mean that she does too, especially as a engagement ring stone.

2. Any mixture of colour is considered zoning, so yes, technically, a parti or bi-coloured is considered zoned. However, when the demarcation is clean and obvious, it is more prized than random zoning.

3. Please post pictures of the item. Without pictures, it is akin to asking would you buy this red car? It's the perfect colour and has no dents but we are missing all the necessary information to tell you whether we would and why.

1. I've shown her the gem in a setting to get idea's of what she likes and doesn't like. I've also shown her heavy green variants and pure blue sapphires. We have also seen a alexandrite, but that is out of my price range i believe.

2. Okay, that's good to know that zoning is bi color.
But what exactly do you mean by "Demarcation" ?

3. I'll get right on the picture. I have something i need to buy from this shop for my mom for her birthday. I'm buying a Lapis stone cat. Right now Sapphires & Lapis are 25% at this place and thats why i want to jump on this stone and start paying it off.

Again, thanks for the help and i'll get back with y'all when i have pictures.
:mrgreen:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1441818779|3925670 said:
This might be useful reading material about bi-colouration and zoning. The first picture posted is generally more desired and more expensive than the second, due to how the bi-colouring shows.
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/parti-color-sapphire-vs-undesirable-color-zoning.139436/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/parti-color-sapphire-vs-undesirable-color-zoning.139436/[/URL]

Just to be totally clear, the first picture Chrono posted shows clear demarkation of the bicolor, whereas the second does not. Although I personally (but think I am in the minority here) really like both, it is 100% correct that stones without clear demarkation (e.g. the second stone) are considered less valuable and should cost less. Just something to note when considering pricing of stones. I just happen to be one of the people who think that the bicolored stones that aren't clearly demarcated are still just beautiful and visually interesting :) But it's definitely worth trying to figure out which your GF prefers, because if she hates one of those two types (or dislikes bicolored stones in general) it will be important to note when trying to find her the "right" stone :)

Jajabis

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1441818779|3925670 said:
This might be useful reading material about bi-colouration and zoning. The first picture posted is generally more desired and more expensive than the second, due to how the bi-colouring shows.
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/parti-color-sapphire-vs-undesirable-color-zoning.139436/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/parti-color-sapphire-vs-undesirable-color-zoning.139436/[/URL]

So from the pictures i want to see almost a cut-off of the color from Green to Yellow to Red. But for a round cut gem like i'm looking at, it will be hard to tell unless i look at the bottom of the stone.

I love the color of the stone that my gf likes, but i don't want to over-pay for the center-stone.
Right now it's around 1600 due to the discount for this month. Normally priced at 2,200.
It is from Australia and heated from what i've been told.
While i understand y'all need pictures and dimensions to give a better estimated price.
Does this seem within tolerance for a parti sapphire about 1.97ct round cut?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In the link in one of my posts above, is a picture of a parti in a round shape. It can have a defined line cutting the round into equal halves, or 2 lines splitting it evenly into 3 "pieces" or it can be shaped like <> or >< [X] or it can be random. What do you mean by looking at the bottom of the stone? The colour should always be evaluated face up only. If it is an "ugly" stone, it could be as little as $100. If it is a "beautiful" stone, it could be as high as $3K. It all depends on the colour (hue, saturation and tone), the pattern of the bi-colouration, and the cut. As mentioned earlier, the information you provided is so sparse that it could be anything.

Jajabis

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1441829603|3925745 said:
In the link in one of my posts above, is a picture of a parti in a round shape. It can have a defined line cutting the round into equal halves, or 2 lines splitting it evenly into 3 "pieces" or it can be shaped like <> or >< [X] or it can be random. What do you mean by looking at the bottom of the stone? The colour should always be evaluated face up only. If it is an "ugly" stone, it could be as little as $100. If it is a "beautiful" stone, it could be as high as $3K. It all depends on the colour (hue, saturation and tone), the pattern of the bi-colouration, and the cut. As mentioned earlier, the information you provided is so sparse that it could be anything.

Okay, i'll get some pictures. I just read that you said in the post it's easier to see zones upside down. But you can most certainly see the zones in that blue/green/blue ring posted.

Thanks.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Price seems reasonable if it's precision cut BUT as the other have said - parti-sapphires are a special breed where appearance determines the price rather more than statistics.

Some are hideously ugly, others are breathtakingly beautiful - we need to see photos of the one you are interested in. :wavey: My engagement ring is a parti-sapphire where the green/yellow/blue are blended - no obvious distinction so it looks a soft green overall but sometimes more pale blue in daylight, more dark teal inside etc...

Be aware that parti-sapphires often reflect differently in different lighting situations so make sure you request photos in sunlight, shade, indoors etc. Mine has been mistaken for an aquamarine or even an emerald which demonstrate the variety of "looks" it displays. :love:

Keep us posted.

Jajabis

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1441829603|3925745 said:
As mentioned earlier, the information you provided is so sparse that it could be anything.

It was VERY hard to get good pictures. So i'll post the un-edited ones. Also the stone is in a setting.

I did notice zoning to where there is blue through the center and a yellow/green/clearish on the sides. I tried my best with the pictures, but i don't think they can show this very well.

The stone is 1.96ct.
Not precision cut. She stated that sapphires aren't precision cut and only something else was.
The stone is heated, but not very much as it would get rid of the bi color. She also said all sapphires are heated.
She is GIA certified and does appraisals on gems and is a gemologist.

The last picture is a drawing of the idea that i kinda want to do. My gf likes halo's and rose gold. Also she has a fair complexion, red head with sky blue eyes.

img_2090_0.jpg
img_2089.jpg
img_2088_0.jpg
img_2087_0.jpg
img_2086_0.jpg
img_2085.jpg
img_2084_0.jpg
img_2083.jpg
img_2082.jpg
img_2081_0.jpg
img_2080.jpg
img_2091.jpg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the pics! I have to say that I don't see this as a parti sapphire--it looks all blue to my eyes, but that might just be the photos if you do see multiple colors.

Just FYI I think you may have gotten some incorrect info from the person at the store. As far as I understand it (but experts can correct me if I'm wrong), any stone can be precision cut--it's just how you cut the stone. So sapphires can be precision cut, as can any other CS (obviously there are exceptions if stones are too soft to be faceted or something, but I'm talking about of the stones that are commonly faceted).

Also it isn't true that all sapphires are heated--some are untreated (again, this is my understanding, but I am fairly sure about it). Untreated stones always command higher prices than those that have been heated/treated.

I do like the setting style though--it's very pretty and I think would be a nice match with her skin tone/eye color :)

I can't really say how much this "should" cost, since I am not an expert on pricing. Maybe others can help a bit more with that. How much are they asking for the stone?

Jajabis

Rough_Rock
http://s2.photobucket.com/user/Jajabis/slideshow/Sapphire

If you click here, you can see the photo's a tad better and i also put the cursor over where the different zones are in a zoomed in photo.
Pictures are terrible at showing the zones, but i tried my best with the jeweler questioning if i wanted to put a downpayment on it. It is listed at 2200 right now but is 25% off due to September.

aussiejamie

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi Jajabis,

Lovedogs is right about the information you received in regards to heat and precision cutting. Be abit cautious if they are giving dodgy information.

AJ

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
aussiejamie|1441929075|3926286 said:
Hi Jajabis,

Lovedogs is right about the information you received in regards to heat and precision cutting. Be abit cautious if they are giving dodgy information.

AJ

Thanks for the confirmation, AJ!! I was fairly sure, but didn't want to claim 100% sure until an expert chimed in :)

Jajabis: I would be very wary of anywhere that gives you that much misinformation. It's hard to trust anyone who is doing that yet supposedly is a GIA gemologist. If you love it and the price seems fair then it might be completely fine, but I might look at some stones from people on the trusted vendor list instead if I were you, since Dana at Mastercut and others have gorgeous sapphires and are known to be great to work with.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you still see the yellow and green when viewed straight down the table? I hate to say this but I'm inclined to think this sapphire has colour zoning, not a parti-colouration. The blue is lovely but the odd edges will impact pricing significantly. Coupled with her misconception of treatment and precision cutting, I don't have a good feeling about this.

Jajabis

Rough_Rock
When i look straight down at it, i see yellow/ very light green on the edges. I couldn't actually get a picture of this and didn't know how to get it that way. If you click on the slideshow link posted up. I put the mouse cursor over the different zones.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's probably a bit overpriced for what it is, but if she loves it and wants it and nothing else that is all that really matters.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1.43 ct blue sapphire without zoning, precision cut and unheated for $750. This makes your heated, non-precision cut, parti-sapphire priced higher than it ought to be. SelectGem is a vendor so the stone should be returnable and refundable.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1441975937|3926496 said:
1.43 ct blue sapphire without zoning, precision cut and unheated for $750. This makes your heated, non-precision cut, parti-sapphire priced higher than it ought to be. SelectGem is a vendor so the stone should be returnable and refundable.

I feel like I missed something--is there a stone from SelectGem in the running? If so, Jason is great to work with so I would recommend him as a vendor. But the link OP sent is from Michael E of GemShoppe (I think). Maybe I haven't had enough coffee--sorry if I'm needlessly confused. Chrono: are you referring to this stone: http://selectgem.com/products/1-45ct-lavender-blue-sapphire?? OP if you like this stone I would recommend ordering it to check it out--SelectGem has a great return/refund policy, and it looks like a really gorgeous one.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lovedogs|1441977581|3926510 said:

I feel like I missed something--is there a stone from SelectGem in the running? If so, Jason is great to work with so I would recommend him as a vendor. But the link OP sent is from Michael E of GemShoppe (I think). Maybe I haven't had enough coffee--sorry if I'm needlessly confused. Chrono: are you referring to this stone: http://selectgem.com/products/1-45ct-lavender-blue-sapphire????? OP if you like this stone I would recommend ordering it to check it out--SelectGem has a great return/refund policy, and it looks like a really gorgeous one.

No, it's just an example stone to compare pricing. A heated non-precision parti should cost a lot less than an unheated precision blue sapphire. The reason I noted that the seller is a vendor is to let the OP know that it's not a consumer selling the stone, which is typically priced lower because the sale is final. And thank you for adding the link because it looks like I haven't had enough coffee yet as well since I forgot to add the link. :bigsmile:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1441977820|3926515 said:
lovedogs|1441977581|3926510 said:

I feel like I missed something--is there a stone from SelectGem in the running? If so, Jason is great to work with so I would recommend him as a vendor. But the link OP sent is from Michael E of GemShoppe (I think). Maybe I haven't had enough coffee--sorry if I'm needlessly confused. Chrono: are you referring to this stone: http://selectgem.com/products/1-45ct-lavender-blue-sapphire???? OP if you like this stone I would recommend ordering it to check it out--SelectGem has a great return/refund policy, and it looks like a really gorgeous one.

No, it's just an example stone to compare pricing. An heated non-precision parti should cost a lot less than an unheated precision blue sapphire. The reason I noted that the seller is a vendor is to let the OP know that it's not a consumer selling the stone, which is typically priced lower because the sale is final.

Gotcha. Totally clear now :wavey: OP I do 100% agree with Chrono that your stone seems overpriced given comparisons, but of course all that matters in the end is that she loves the stone, so if she's 100% sure on the one you've seen then you should buy it :)

S

SparkliesLuver

For reference, this is what I think of when you say parti-colored sapphire. Yours does seem to be primarily blue.

pas1.jpg

Jajabis

Rough_Rock
I do feel it's priced high and she did piss me off when she said that the price might be different today than when she quoted me last week due to market price. I think I'm going to look around more and find something that I think will be perfect in relation to price. I sent Micheal E a email to see if he could find another gem like the one linked above. If anyone sees a Round Parti-sapphire/ Montana Sapphire bi-color that is 1.7-2.2ct I'd appreciate a link. :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: thanks for all the help.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok see the photo where it looks really dark? THAT is probably what it will look like most of the time... The rest of her photos clearly show a bright light source on the stone to show that lovely blue colour. Are you ok with this???

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Jajabis|1441989018|3926603 said:
I do feel it's priced high and she did piss me off when she said that the price might be different today than when she quoted me last week due to market price. I think I'm going to look around more and find something that I think will be perfect in relation to price. I sent Micheal E a email to see if he could find another gem like the one linked above. If anyone sees a Round Parti-sapphire/ Montana Sapphire bi-color that is 1.7-2.2ct I'd appreciate a link. :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: thanks for all the help.

I am very glad that you're going to have a look around. I've been following your thread, and was disturbed by the incorrect info that you received from the supposed "expert" that you're dealing with. Either she's outright lying in order to make a sale, or she really doesn't know any better; both are disturbing thoughts.

Also, that's pretty shady changing the price like that. Sounds like a pressure tactic to force you into buying now. I'm sorry but that's total BS, "changing market price", what??? There is no daily "market price" for sapphires, it's not like gold or the stock exchange, lol!! Good vendors don't do that - even if a vendor makes a mistake on a price, usually they will honor it! I've heard of this happening several times from reliable vendors.

I just think it's a good idea to have a look around and see what else you like for your budget, I think you'll be able to find something great from one of the trusted vendors.

Did anyone mention blazen gems yet? Aren't they the site that has good Montana's?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results