shape
carat
color
clarity

"Push" Gift Help

dazedandconfused09

Rough_Rock
Hello Everyone -

It's been a while since I've been on here, but I am in need of assistance in finding good value on a pink sapphire pendant for my wife's "push" gift. We are expecting our little girl within the next few weeks, so I don't have much time to buy a separate stone and setting - I'm looking for a reputable seller with good valued stones and settings. I have found the initial search exhausting and frustrating, and I am hoping to get some help from the forum on my purchase. PS helped me get my wife's engagement ring almost 4 years ago, so trust and value the opinions of everyone, especially the experts.

My budget isn't very big, about $1,500, stone, setting, taxes, delivery; I'm looking for asscher, cushion, emerald, oval and radiant cuts; preferably untreated for it's rarity; and, a minimum of 1 carat.

My initial search has taken me to the following... Is The Natural Sapphire Company a reputable company? There are some "interesting" results when doing a Google search on the company that got my "spidey" senses tingling. If they are a reputable company, what do you all think of the stones below?

http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/sapphires/c-6-pink-sapphires/p-33457-oval-pink-sapphire-p2566/
http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/sapphires/c-6-pink-sapphires/p-33463-oval-pink-sapphire-p2636/
http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/sapphires/c-6-pink-sapphires/p-50815-cushion-pink-sapphire-p648/

I am also open to suggestions that meet my criteria.

Thank you, all, in advance!

Chester

SB621

Ideal_Rock
NSC isn't very respected on PS due to some of their more questionable business practices.

I really liked the one just posted by Jim McCormik. It is on sale for $600. I'm not an expert so I would have others weigh in but I really loved the color and the shape.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0TVbZa-B8c

GIA Gemset 4/4 purplish pink. Moderately strong saturation.
Free shipping in the USA. Comes with AGL report.
7 day approval inspection period once your stone arrives. If not satisfied your money back!
Shape : Cushion
Cut : Step Cut
Length (MM) : 6.12
Width (MM) : 5.53
Depth (MM) : 3.71
Weight (CTS) : 1.10
Enhancement : (N) None
Origin : Montepuez, Mozambique

I have never bought from this vendor before so I don't know much about him, but I have been looking at a few stones he has posted.

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
I don't know the first thing about this vendor, but:

http://www.simplysapphires.com/jewelry/ceylon-pink-sapphire-diamond-pendant-18kwg?cPath=172&

You can see some inclusions in the photos, and I'm not sure it's the very best cut, and it is heated, but it's very pretty (to me) and in your price range.

They have a certified unheated one, that also looks like a stronger color, but it's a bit above your price range:
http://www.simplysapphires.com/jewelry/unheated-certified-pink-sapphire-diamond-pendant-14kwg-2.01-ctw?cPath=172&

dazedandconfused09

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the replies and suggestions, so far!

Also, thank you for saving me the potential headache with The Natural Sapphire Company.

SB621, where can I find James' website?

SB621

Ideal_Rock
dazedandconfused09|1376423826|3502278 said:
Thank you for the replies and suggestions, so far!

Also, thank you for saving me the potential headache with The Natural Sapphire Company.

SB621, where can I find James' website?

I know he sells on facebook under the group Fine Faceted Gems and Cabs Market (Ella I hope I'm allowed to post that if not my sincerest apologies). I'm not sure if he has his own website or not. I know alot of PSers belong to the FFGCM.

dazedandconfused09

Rough_Rock
Thank you, SB621. i hope I didn't get you on trouble...

So when it comes to loose stones, how do PSers typically set these? Sorry for the obvious question to most, but I've never bought a loose stone before.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
So let's just say you buy the sapphire I posted for $600. That leaves you $900 to set it. Do you know how you want it set? halo, solitare, 3 stone? Silver , gold?

-I like to check out jbeg, LT and DB to see if someone is selling a 2nd hand setting for cheap that would fit my stone. Not sure if this is your cup of tea or not.
-If you want silver DanielM on etsy is very popular and affordable.
- You can also look into some settings at ID Jewelry. They would set the sapphire for you and they have some gorgeous ones that would fit in a $900 budget. Plus they do a PS discount.
- There are some chinese vendors on ebay that PSers like to use. I have been happy with my Lord of Gem Rings when I upgrade their gold and diamond settings.

you can check the pin topic on CS which talks a lot about vendors. If will give you some ideas. Even on a time crunch you have options. If you narrow it down to what style you are looking for you can start a thread in RT or here too on CS and ppl will help you find a setting.

Goodluck!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Here is my cushion tourmaline in a LOGR tiffany legacy inspired halo. I think a pink cushion would look amazing in this type of setting that is - if your wife likes halos. I'm very partial. :saint:

Eidt- and this is no longer my ring so I hope the new PS owner doesn't mine me posting it! :oops:

_8780.jpg

dazedandconfused09

Rough_Rock
Thank you again, SB621! Your advice is a great starting point for me.

Last question if you don't mind... When buying a setting, is it better to larger or smaller than the stone?

SB621

Ideal_Rock
dazedandconfused09|1376425842|3502303 said:
Thank you again, SB621! Your advice is a great starting point for me.

Last question if you don't mind... When buying a setting, is it better to larger or smaller than the stone?

For colored stones (unlike diamonds) you ask about mm size vs carat weight. Vendors will be able to tell you roughly what mm size stone can fit into what setting. Once again for the one I linked too it is roughly 6x6mm. You have some wiggle room but it wouldn't fit into an 8mm setting or a 5mm setting. Does that make sense? You will also have wiggle room pending it it is bezeled set vs. prong.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
dazedandconfused09|1376426721|3502313 said:
Got it! Not too big, not too small... Thank you! :)

Rule of thumb for me is keeping it within .5mm. That usually works out for the best.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
I just wanted to post re: Jim, the seller who has the pink sapphire you're possibly considering.

I've purchased from him and it was an excellent buying experience. It wasn't a pricey gem, but I was still treated very well - great communication, lightning fast shipping, he has a solid return policy and the gem I bought looked better in person than the pics/video showed. I was quite pleased :)

Just thought I'd share my experience! Good luck with the search, and congrats on your upcoming addition to the family!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
katharath|1376428364|3502331 said:
I just wanted to post re: Jim, the seller who has the pink sapphire you're possibly considering.

I've purchased from him and it was an excellent buying experience. It wasn't a pricey gem, but I was still treated very well - great communication, lightning fast shipping, he has a solid return policy and the gem I bought looked better in person than the pics/video showed. I was quite pleased :)

Just thought I'd share my experience! Good luck with the search, and congrats on your upcoming addition to the family!

OP: please forgive this momentary threadjack!

Katharath: if you don't mind, can you post your pics of what you bought from Jim? I have been looking at his stones for some time and his pics are just, well, meh, so I haven't pulled the trigger. Could you show your pics compared to his of whatever you purchased? TIA :wavey:

katharath

Ideal_Rock
minousbijoux|1376434233|3502384 said:
katharath|1376428364|3502331 said:

OP: please forgive this momentary threadjack!

Katharath: if you don't mind, can you post your pics of what you bought from Jim? I have been looking at his stones for some time and his pics are just, well, meh, so I haven't pulled the trigger. Could you show your pics compared to his of whatever you purchased? TIA :wavey:

Sure, I can do that - I won't have time to get pics up until tomorrow most likely, but I'll start a separate thread (to avoid further thread jacking) and I'll tag you in the thread name, ok? :). The gem I bought from Jim was a Mali garnet, but one I haven't posted pics of over here (if you look in my past threads, I've posted pics of a couple of my other malis - not this one though, if memory serves).

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
We're allowed to post vendors. The issue is with vendors promoting themselves or commenting on other vendors.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually, I like that stone. It's close enough to a 6 mm that he may be able to get a stock setting now, and a fancier setting later if desired.

dazedandconfused09

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions!

pregcurious - I'm not a vendor, if you are implying that. I'm not sure how I got a "trade" logo and I've contacted a moderator about it.

Folks, great suggestions on loose stones so far, but are there good, reliable vendors I can buy quality stones like those being suggested and the setting in one purchase? I really do not think I have the time and patience to buy them separately.

Thank you again!! :)

SB621

Ideal_Rock
dazedandconfused09|1376508529|3502996 said:
Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions!

pregcurious - I'm not a vendor, if you are implying that. I'm not sure how I got a "trade" logo and I've contacted a moderator about it.

Folks, great suggestions on loose stones so far, but are there good, reliable vendors I can buy quality stones like those being suggested and the setting in one purchase? I really do not think I have the time and patience to buy them separately.

Thank you again!! :)

I'm not aware of anyone that does a one stop shop that I would say are quality sapphires. Sorry I'm not more help.

You could always just buy the sapphire and then let your wife set it later on. I sort of like that idea. It will give her something to focus on when she is up late at night with screaming/ hungry child :bigsmile:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One stop shopping places usually have limited choices and /or lower quality stones. What sort of setting are you looking for? Since you are pressed for time, you can get ready made or stock settings from your local jeweller (order from Stuller catalogue and the like) or online (ID Jewellery and the like or some Etsy jewellers can get a standard setting made very quickly).

dazedandconfused09

Rough_Rock
Thank you again for the comments and advice!

I hoping to give her gift right after our little angel is born, but I might just go ahead and buy the stone and setting separately as everyone suggest.

Seeing that The Natural Sapphire Company is one vendor that's a one-stop shop, has anyone in the forum seen any improvement on their part to change despite all the comments on them?

michellechan2211

Shiny_Rock
I believe that Etsy vendors like Yvonne Raley and Jetflair (Among others) could help you source and set a pendant, though I'm not sure if its within your time frame. If it is, maybe that's a route that you might consider taking instead of going to the Natural Sapphire company? I have had a good experience with Yvonne for a few pieces of custom jewelery so I do recommend her.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
michellechan2211|1376620501|3504133 said:
I believe that Etsy vendors like Yvonne Raley and Jetflair (Among others) could help you source and set a pendant, though I'm not sure if its within your time frame. If it is, maybe that's a route that you might consider taking instead of going to the Natural Sapphire company? I have had a good experience with Yvonne for a few pieces of custom jewelery so I do recommend her.

Michelle is right (hi Michelle!!), and I'm always happy to recommend Yvonne Raley since she's my favorite seller. Some of Yvonne's strong points: she's fast, efficient, and reliable - and a great communicator. She loves to source untreated gems. She has a couple of pretty pink Ceylon untreated sapphires listed right now that are within your budget, and her setting costs are extremely reasonable. The only real issue is that the gems she has listed aren't the greatest cut-wise (I think they were cut overseas). BUT they're in your size and price range and she could get it all done for you quickly - plus the right setting could minimize a less than ideal cut.

Links to a couple of her pink sapphires (one is literally half the cost of the other, but is much more saturated):

http://www.etsy.com/listing/95264595/sale-149-ct-certified-unheated-pink?ref=cat_list_1

http://www.etsy.com/listing/97091511/certified-unheated-cushion-cut-ceylon?ref=cat_list_6

dazedandconfused09

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the recommendations!

I'm kinda liking the oval, but I'm curious as to how important the cut is to the brilliance of the stone. Will a good setting compensate for a poorly cut stone?

SB621

Ideal_Rock
dazedandconfused09|1376665763|3504345 said:
Thank you for the recommendations!

I'm kinda liking the oval, but I'm curious as to how important the cut is to the brilliance of the stone. Will a good setting compensate for a poorly cut stone?

That's a matter of opinion. I have some asymmetrical diamonds/ colored stones that I have set, but nothing like that sapphire which is just really wonky. I personally love the color but I would never set that. However you could always do a recut with it- if that was the color you wanted...then again that would add on at least 2-3 weeks.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Yes, using either of those gems would mean compromising. I think the color of the oval is quite pretty; but it would really benefit from a recut. The lighter pink sapphire is more symmetrically cut, but obviously not as desirable in color. I think that at this point, if the OP is in a hurry and doesn't want to deal with choosing a gem and a setting from separate places, compromises might need to be made. That's basically why I suggested those gems in the first place - but I understand not wanting to make compromises. I'd suggest considering an intensive search for a ready made piece, etsy is a good place to start for less expensive but nice, ready made or quickly made pieces.

To answer the OP's question - A good setting won't make up for a lack of brilliance (at least not to my knowledge, please correct me if I'm wrong!!) - but it can minimize a small window or help it to "disappear"; and it can help a gem to have a slightly better color appearance, depending on your metal choice. The metal choice can make a gem look much different, actually. Also the setting can cause the gem to appear darker, which can sometimes be nice - it just depends on the gem and of course, the setting :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results