shape
carat
color
clarity

"Push" Gift Help

katharath

Ideal_Rock
dazedandconfused09|1376676965|3504415 said:
May I ask what you find wonky about the stone?

It's asymmetrical, it's not an ideal oval shape. This is definitely something that would bother some people more than others. If this gem were cut better, I think it would be pricier. The color is very pretty, it's Ceylon, and untreated. It's a pretty gem but the cutting on it would not be acceptable to some people.

dazedandconfused09

Rough_Rock
May I ask how much does re-cutting usually cost? I'm sure most people will say that it depends, but I'm wondering based on someone's experience.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
katharath|1376677463|3504419 said:
dazedandconfused09|1376676965|3504415 said:
May I ask what you find wonky about the stone?

It's asymmetrical, it's not an ideal oval shape. This is definitely something that would bother some people more than others. If this gem were cut better, I think it would be pricier. The color is very pretty, it's Ceylon, and untreated. It's a pretty gem but the cutting on it would not be acceptable to some people.

I don't think the cutting would be acceptable by anyone if it was to be set. It reminds me more of a rock then a faceted gem.

OP I'm going to be honest and say I think you are going down a rabbit hole. In your quest to find something already set you are wasting your timeline away. As someone already mentioned you need to make conpromises on what exactl you want. For me I would want a high quality sapphire and the setting can wait.

I recently had a sapphire recut and for a full cut I think it would have been around $230- I ended up needing a partial recut so it costs around $100. However, it will add 2-3 weeks to your timeline.

SB621

Ideal_Rock

katharath

Ideal_Rock
SB621|1376679379|3504438 said:
OP I'm going to be honest and say I think you are going down a rabbit hole. In your quest to find something already set you are wasting your timeline away. As someone already mentioned you need to make conpromises on what exactl you want. For me I would want a high quality sapphire and the setting can wait.

I recently had a sapphire recut and for a full cut I think it would have been around $230- I ended up needing a partial recut so it costs around $100. However, it will add 2-3 weeks to your timeline.

Agree with everything here.

I also recently got two quotes on partial recuts, they ranged from $75-100, from a well known cutter here on PS.

dazedandconfused09

Rough_Rock
Ugh, this is hard!:) I'm having flashbacks to the time when I shopped for her engagement ring - I didn't anticipate this to be as tough! LOL!

I do truly appreciate everyone's help!

michellechan2211

Shiny_Rock
Just adding that I did a quick search on Etsy a few days ago and I did not manage to find a ready made pink sapphire pendant that wasn't lab created. As such, I would second SB621's suggestion to get the sapphire separately and then get it set by someone like Daniel M, but again, I have no idea about his timeline at the moment.

Xrisus

Shiny_Rock
This may turn me into the pricescope pariah, but considering your timeline-why not try something from the natural sapphire company? My wife is is also due in September and I actually looked at NSC (despite knowing others experiences). They do have a return policy for unset stones, and if you wanted to see the stone in one of their settings you can have it sent to you in a wax setting so the stone is still returnable. In full disclosure, I ended up buying the stone loose from a well known pricescope dealer, and am having it set by a pricescope-known vendor that does custom gold settings (it took me a while to find the right stone, but eventually I did). If I didn't go with what I have, I was very likely to go with NSC...hopefully this will not lead to my exile on this forum!

katharath

Ideal_Rock
I also searched etsy yesterday morning and didn't see anything that for what the OP is looking for. There were a couple of pretty sapphires posted in this thread though (Jim's stone, and also the one Chrono posted are two that I specifically remember). I guess I'm wondering what the OP didn't like about those gems? I think either would be a good choice, and I know that Jim has a good return policy.

I would l suggest that if he really wants a gem, just choose one and at the very least, you could have a local setter pop it into a temporary setting if you don't have the timeline to do something more extravagant. That way you're looking at buying a gem, waiting til next week for it arrive, then maybe 2-3 days with a local setter and voila :)

Then maybe later on when things have settled, send it to Daniel M for a special setting...I don't know, I'm just worried about the timeline. I know from experience that sometimes babies come a few weeks early, lol.

dazedandconfused09

Rough_Rock
Thank you again everyone!

Xrisus - I'm really tempted to go the NSC route, but I've been really restraining myself!

katharath -I like the stones that were linked a few posts back, but it's the desire to get everything in place that has me passing on those. Actually, I contacted Jim via facebook but he never replied to me. How does one contact him?? Cronos' recommendation was also tempting, but I'm hoping, despite my budget, to get a stone larger than 1 carat. I did like the stone below the one Cronos recommended.

What does everyone think of this:

spkg125.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Xrisus,
No exile or pariah or shunning here. :wavey: No one, at least not I, will negate or dispute your good experience with NSC. Some are luckier or more fortunate than others in their dealings with NSC.

Dazed,
Colour speaks louder than size. If it is well coloured, it will catch more attention than a larger blah stone. Carat weight has little bearing except in the mind because we consider the face up size or actual measurement. 2 stones can be 1 ct but one can be larger than the other due to the cut. Just get the nicest one within budget that is available, stick it in a calibrated stock setting and you'll be all set. When baby is 1 year old, reset it in a special setting of her choice. Also from experience, first babies are often born past the due date. Mine was 2 weeks past.

Xrisus

Shiny_Rock
I second Chrono, the color and not the size is what makes it sing. I also think that sometimes a smaller stone can be easier to wear on a more frequent casual basis. The various larger stones I have set for my wife just don't seem as versatile. Don't get me wrong, a large stone is great---but in my humble opinion I will take color over carats anyday! In fact that is what I did for my wife's push present (smaller stone than many of the others I looked at, but a much more stunning color). I really wish you every bit of luck-I know exactly what you are going through!

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
What about a pink spinel? IMO, they are prettier pinks than sapphires, are pretty much just as hard, are often a bit sparklier, and a lot less expensive (mostly due to bad marketing). I don't know this seller but I like the looks of this:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/159930716/precision-cut-pink-spinel-and-diamond

Michael E at gemshoppe.com is WONDERFUL and can source/cut stones and source/make/set jewelry as well. Def recommend sending him an email.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
velouriaL|1376876016|3505670 said:
What about a pink spinel? IMO, they are prettier pinks than sapphires, are pretty much just as hard, are often a bit sparklier, and a lot less expensive (mostly due to bad marketing). I don't know this seller but I like the looks of this:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/159930716/precision-cut-pink-spinel-and-diamond

That seller is the one who has been spamming Diamond Bistro. She has pretty stuff but I personally won't buy from her because I find her spam annoying.

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
Distracts - Not to threadjack, but is there a thread on this? I'm out of the loop on it. I saw her ads on diamondbistro and she seemed fairly benign to me. Also I tried to search around and couldn't find anything because of all the JKT and JBEG Julia setting threads.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
velouriaL|1376878052|3505692 said:
Distracts - Not to threadjack, but is there a thread on this? I'm out of the loop on it. I saw her ads on diamondbistro and she seemed fairly benign to me.

I am curious as well, as I had a similar reaction (though truth be told, I likely would not buy from her for other reasons).

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Distracts - Not to threadjack, but is there a thread on this? I'm out of the loop on it. I saw her ads on diamondbistro and she seemed fairly benign to me. Also I tried to search around and couldn't find anything because of all the JKT and JBEG Julia setting threads.

I haven't seen a thread on her. She does seem fairly benign but it's annoying to me that she posts every.single.day. on db. I don't mind vendors who post like once a week or something but every day is a bit spammy for my taste. Also some of her designs seem directly ripped from Sally at HOW - at least, I've never seen a lotus ring exactly like Sally's anywhere else. So a few small things are just adding up to a negative reaction.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
distracts|1376952627|3506204 said:

I haven't seen a thread on her. She does seem fairly benign but it's annoying to me that she posts every.single.day. on db. I don't mind vendors who post like once a week or something but every day is a bit spammy for my taste. Also some of her designs seem directly ripped from Sally at HOW - at least, I've never seen a lotus ring exactly like Sally's anywhere else. So a few small things are just adding up to a negative reaction.

I guess I hadn't paid attention to know that she was posting every day - yeah, that would bug me too. I did notice the similarity between some of her stuff and Sally's HOW (as well as the styles of other designers), so I could see how she could come off as spamming.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Here's a pendant under your budget:
http://www.simplysapphires.com/jewelry/ceylon-pink-sapphire-diamond-pendant-18kwg?cPath=141&

This is another finished piece, but above your price range. It's unheated. If you like it, you may want to ask if they'll discount it. If you hate shopping for these things as much as my husband, maybe it's worth going above your budget to have it done.
http://www.simplysapphires.com/jewelry/unheated-certified-pink-sapphire-diamond-pendant-14kwg-2.01-ctw?cPath=141&

And here's a ring within your budget.
http://www.simplysapphires.com/jewelry/pink-sapphire-pave-diamond-ring-14kwg-18kwg?cPath=141&

EDIT: Just saw your other posting. I wasn't thinking you were part of the trade; just explaining the reasoning behind the PS rule for trade members :)

2a287e853723e8bf3bb624d3fbc611b9.jpg

dazedandconfused09

Rough_Rock
Hello All!

Thank you for all the help and suggestions!

So, I've gone the stone and setting route as everyone has suggested. I am now in between two stones, below. I'm leaning towards Jim's stone, but the mineralminers.com stone is also alluring. Can I please get help choosing the "right" one?

Thanks again! :D

jim.jpg spkg125.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Can you get a different picture of the first stone, in which is it straight on? It is difficult to judge cut with an angled picture.

dazedandconfused09

Rough_Rock
So, this is the best I can get - screenshot off the owner's YouTube Video. I hope that helps.

jim_2.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I can't see much in that screen capture. If you post the dimensions of the stone, we can at least guess if it has a window. Perhaps others can garner more from the screen capture.

I recommend considering the pendants I posted from Simply Sapphires. You can ask for more pictures of the stones, and inquire about the quality of the cut etc. The first stone does not come with a gem report, and it is heated; it is possible it has been treated in other ways. The 2nd stone comes with an AGL report that it is untreated.

dazedandconfused09

Rough_Rock
Below is his description. By the way, does origin matter? In my search, I've only seen Sri Lanka, Burma, and Thailand, but not Mozambique. Is that origin a good thing or a bad thing?

1.10 ct

Superb eye clean untreated hot pink Sapphire! Comes with a full AIGS report with no indication of heat process. Nicely cut cushion with no window! Bright stone! Not sleepy! Nice light return to the naked eye, & eye clean!

Picture taken in mixed incandescent and natural sunlight indoors. Video taken in sunlight.

GIA Gemset 4/4 purplish pink. Moderately strong saturation.

Free shipping in the USA.

7 day approval inspection period once your stone arrives. If not satisfied your money back!

Shape : Cushion
Cut : Step Cut
Length (MM) : 6.12
Width (MM) : 5.53
Depth (MM) : 3.71
Weight (CTS) : 1.10
Enhancement : (N) None
Origin : Montepuez, Mozambique

carmen1

Shiny_Rock
I like Jim's sapphire, it is unheated, comes with a full AIGS report and a 7-day return policy, it looked good in the video to me, but I'm no expert. At $600 I'd buy it and if you don't like it you can send it back for a refund.

I'm not loving the simplysapphires pendants as they just are not my personal style, but if they are similar in style to what you were considering you can certainly choose one of them to make your life a little easier. If not, given your time constraints I'd pull the trigger on one or both of the loose stones (plan to return the one you like the least), and in the meantime find a local jeweler who can get you a setting quickly.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the first sapphire (Jim's?) in your post looks really pretty!

Xrisus

Shiny_Rock
I concur, Jim's stone looks nice. If you wanted to be doubly sure, maybe you can ask for pics in solely incandescent light, and one in diffused daylight. I know it's backwards, but a lot of the sapphires I looked at tended more pastel in diffused daylight-not that it's a bad thing, but there was often a slight color shift.

dazedandconfused09

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your opinions! I think I will be purchasing Jim's stone soon!

Question.. I'm thinking of a pronged halo pendant setting for the stone. Where can I find one to order that will fit his stone? Also, does anyone have a better idea on how to best display this stone on a pendant?

SB621

Ideal_Rock
dazedandconfused09|1377021774|3506690 said:
Thank you for your opinions! I think I will be purchasing Jim's stone soon!

Question.. I'm thinking of a pronged halo pendant setting for the stone. Where can I find one to order that will fit his stone? Also, does anyone have a better idea on how to best display this stone on a pendant?

I would just go to a jeweler and try on a bunch of different styles to see what looks best. Especially with your short timeline.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You might be able to squeeze Jim's sapphire into a standard 6 x 6 mm setting but it'll be cutting it close. I like the still shot picture but dislike the video picture because it looks washed out. Is Jim up to a hand shot or can you post/link the video? Time is running very short for you. Since you'll need a local jeweller to set the stone, I'd suggest going into stores to see their setting selection. They should have many in stock or should be able to order a Stuller or similar catalogue pendant setting easily and quickly.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results