carat
color
clarity

Purple Stone Advice

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kimpnoth|1406249942|3720150 said:
Indigo: the pendants are lovely. I hope your enjoy them. Twins, huh?

TL: your ring is impressive. What are the stats on the stone? Do you wear it often?

Thank you all.

Thanks, it's in the bank right now because I have to get to the jeweler to get the prongs tightened. Its' 13 carats, and sits above a bridge of African amethysts channel set. I bought the stone around 20 years ago from a gem dealer who specialized in very rare and exotic gemstones. This was one of the few Zambians he had. It's a huge gold mounting. If only gold prices were the same as what I paid for that ring back then. Here's a better pic where you can see the bridge of amethysts under it. I wish I had a profile view, because it sits up super high, the prongs are massive. However, in these pics you can see the red and blue, as well as the purple. The color isn't just flat purple. I've seen darker toned amethyst that are rather flat in color, which is why I posted this stone.

TLdigicam23.JPG

Haywood74

Shiny_Rock
You might want to keep your eye on the "Preloved PS Jewels" section on here as well...I had listed a Jackson's Crossroads cushion a few months ago that I didn't get any takers on...It may be a little more in size than what you are looking for, but it is still available if you want to check it out...

Best of luck in your search!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yup, do check out Pre-Loved once a while. I bought mine secondhand from a collector who had to liquidate.

kimpnoth

Rough_Rock
Oh my, Heywood, that scissor cut is a contender. Can I give you a yell (as in topic subject "Hey, Heywood"), if I want to chat about it? I found the video. The face isn't too big. But I'm learning that amethyst has to be cut deep for the best display, and the bigger stones may be too deep for a ring. I am partial to squarish stones (that includes rectangular ones).

I'm going to go read your posts and Amguy's. I've scanned some, but time to read for comprehension. I was talking with a cutter who uses a lot of checkerboard on amethysts. Seems the checkerboard does away with windows on the bigger stones. He explained it, but I have to digest the info a bit more. Has to do with the angles. As does all stone cutting . . . .. I'm not a fan of small checkerboard, but I've seen larger CB cuts that appeal to me.

Love the Pre-loved section. Found 3 spinels to tie me over, while I mull over my wants, wishes, taste. They are all PS trusted cutter stones. One already set (although I had to replace the head). Two are being set. I probably shouldn't be setting the other two in gold, but I want gold and the jeweler and I decided to set them so the heads can be replaced if I find different sized stones later. Or, he could probably melt them down, and add or subtract metal for a new setting.

Looking at amethyst has helped me to see the gray in spinels.

CS are fascinating. I am really enjoying learning about them.

Haywood74

Shiny_Rock
kimpnoth|1406295633|3720454 said:
Oh my, Heywood, that scissor cut is a contender. Can I give you a yell (as in topic subject "Hey, Heywood"), if I want to chat about it? I found the video. The face isn't too big. But I'm learning that amethyst has to be cut deep for the best display, and the bigger stones may be too deep for a ring. I am partial to squarish stones (that includes rectangular ones).

I'm going to go read your posts and Amguy's. I've scanned some, but time to read for comprehension. I was talking with a cutter who uses a lot of checkerboard on amethysts. Seems the checkerboard does away with windows on the bigger stones. He explained it, but I have to digest the info a bit more. Has to do with the angles. As does all stone cutting . . . .. I'm not a fan of small checkerboard, but I've seen larger CB cuts that appeal to me.
Certainly, I would love to talk with you about it :D

Just so you know, I don't check here every day like I used to, so it may take me a little time to get back to you though. Watch the video again if you prefer to contact me directly and we can go from there.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results