shape
carat
color
clarity

Prong to bezel conversion?

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Is it possible to convert a prong setting to a bezel setting? I would like to do that with the ring in my avatar, but have been told by 2 jewelers that it is not possible. The 2nd jeweler, however, replaced the head with an integrated prong head, which the 1st jeweler said was not possible also. I know this would be a very difficult thing to do, but it might make or break the setting for me.

I find the hardest thing about having a CS hobby is setting them. I wish I could just work with a jeweler to bring in gems and set them, but everyone is so diamond oriented.

Anyone out there know any gold or platinum artist with mad skills who are willing to modify settings?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know if it is possible for yours but I think so. Special equipment will be needed, that's for sure, most likely using laser. Quest converted my platinum setting from prong set to bezel set, and the setting has pave in both the shank and basket of the setting. They are located in VA. Pricing was very reasonable and the final result was seamless.

K9

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1327604238|3112350 said:
I don't know if it is possible for yours but I think so. Special equipment will be needed, that's for sure, most likely using laser. Quest converted my platinum setting from prong set to bezel set, and the setting has pave in both the shank and basket of the setting. They are located in VA. Pricing was very reasonable and the final result was seamless.

Not to mention really lovely!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Chrono! Quest was actually the jeweler who replaced the head, but said a bezel was not possible. Maybe I will ask them again. It might be different now that they put a different head on it. Sometimes one can't be sure what is possible.

Have you had more work done by Quest since then?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Quest is very good at what they do, so it wouldn't hut to ask them again. I have not needed their services since then but wouldn't hesitate to use them again for challenging projects.

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Your avatar image is really too small to see what's going on around the center stone, do you have a larger image? In general anything can be done.....if you are will to pay for it. In my youth I worked doing industrial design at a large aluminum smelter and one of the older engineers had a little saying, "The impossible just takes a little longer...and costs a LOT more". If you can post a larger image it would be much easier to give an opinion.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
I really love this setting and was disappointed to see in another thread that you were not happy with it. I'm with Michael here in that it no doubt is possible and it's a matter of finding the right jeweller to do it's makeover. Perhaps a semi bezel?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results