shape
carat
color
clarity

Price per carat for 10 ct+ lavender spinel

deuteriumhusky

Rough_Rock
I'm being offered a lavender spinel that's 11 carats in size and oval cut. The seller is offering me the stone for $500. Is this a good deal given the large size of the stone? A jeweler certified the stone as natural. Is purple spinel considered an uncommon, desirable color?

_23450.jpg

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally I'd avoid it. Looks badly cut with a huge window (although could be tilt window), very grey and not particularly saturated. It could be a re-cut contender if you really loved it but for $500 you can do better me thinks...

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
HotPozzum|1413849681|3770094 said:
Personally I'd avoid it. Looks badly cut with a huge window (although could be tilt window), very grey and not particularly saturated. It could be a re-cut contender if you really loved it but for $500 you can do better me thinks...
Yup. Large spinels are valuable to a certain extent, but they need to be nicely colored, and that one isn't. Having said that, it's a good price per carat, but a deal is a deal only if you are getting exactly what you want.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm, it has potential if recut, as it's large and clean, so there will be lots of sparkle that light toned greyish spinels are known for. However, as it seems to have a huge window, if recut, it would probably lose a great deal of weight because its shallow. You could ask someone like Jerry Newman what he thinks. I like the tone, which is medium light, so at least it's not a "black hole."

If you like greyish spinels with a lavender hue, then it might be worth it. Greyish spinels are not considered valuable, but spinel prices are rising so much, even less desirable hues are going up so I've been told.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Rose de France = amethyst!!!

Nobody sells an 11 ct spinel for 500 $ !!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it is truly spinel and you love that colour, I would see whether pricing is negotiable and get in touch with a lapidary to see what are my odds of getting it recut into something sparklier (but still in an oval shape).

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just hope its a reputable dealer, and you know for a fact it's truly spinel, and not a light amethyst. A lot of jewelers don't know what they're talking about, or how to i.d. gems.

If its an amethyst, it wouldn't be worth more than $20.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
TL|1413899663|3770334 said:
I just hope its a reputable dealer, and you know for a fact it's truly spinel, and not a light amethyst. A lot of jewelers don't know what they're talking about, or how to i.d. gems.

If its an amethyst, it wouldn't be worth more than $20.

Including the gem box!!!

This is never spinel - an eleven carat EY stone with such a poor cutting and performance - an amethyst or maybe a poor kunzite.

The price is insane!!!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Hmm, it's kind of hard to justify sending it to a lab to test it because if it is amethyst, the lab fee of $65 would be a waste. Plus, you would be out shipping to and from the lab.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ElvisPrasiolite|1413950886|3770792 said:
Marlow is right, no one sells a 11 ct. Spinel for $500.00. No one, unless their desperate for money.

Well, black spinel maybe. ;)) That material is dirt cheap.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
A certificate from a jeweler is generally worthless as far as identifying a gem. Most, as noted above, don't have experience with a wide variety of types of stones & therefore lack knowledge to tell what they are. They also lack the necessary equipment. Only with a report from a gemological lab can you be certain of the identity of a gem.

It will help you in future buying to know that you should ignore any "certificate" from jewelers or appraisers unless it is based on a lab report. In fact, I'm always automatically suspicious of vendors who use this sort of baloney as a selling point.

And yeah, I'd avoid this gem, whatever it is -- poor saturation, bad cutting, suspiciously low price for what it's claimed to be. You're smart to ask before parting with 500 hard-earned bucks. ;-)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak|1413979114|3770890 said:
It will help you in future buying to know that you should ignore any "certificate" from jewelers or appraisers unless it is based on a lab report. In fact, I'm always automatically suspicious of vendors who use this sort of baloney as a selling point.

+10000

Good advice.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
TL|1413954147|3770804 said:
ElvisPrasiolite|1413950886|3770792 said:
Marlow is right, no one sells a 11 ct. Spinel for $500.00. No one, unless their desperate for money.

Well, black spinel maybe. ;)) That material is dirt cheap.

:appl: :appl: You are absolutely right!!!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results