shape
carat
color
clarity

Price guide for buying coloured stones

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

m00sie

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hopefully this hasn''t been covered recently in another post, but does anyone know of a good reference site for coloured stone values?

I am looking at acquiring a number of different stones, tourmalines, spinels and tanzanite (among others), but want to make sure I am not paying too much for each stone.

Any info would be much appreciated :)

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/8/2010 1:09:42 AM
Author:m00sie
Hopefully this hasn''t been covered recently in another post, but does anyone know of a good reference site for coloured stone values?

I am looking at acquiring a number of different stones, tourmalines, spinels and tanzanite (among others), but want to make sure I am not paying too much for each stone.

Any info would be much appreciated :)
I like visiting Robert Genis''s site.

The real problem is there is a large myriad of factors involved in gem values and there is no universal pricing.

There are market trends when certain gem material goes up and down, but pricing is based on so many different characteristics, and each gem is valuated individually.

Your best bet would be to figure out what your criteria is in picking out a gem and have an independent gemologist take a look and advise you if you are paying close to fair market value.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
no, but if you find one, please post it!

too many variables re color stones. start with a good book [richard wise''s secrets of the gem trade is a good place to start] to understand what constitutes a fine color stone. then the trade offs re color, cut, etc. are a bit more understandable.

mz

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Depends on if you are buying it or selling it.
9.gif
On a more serious note, it was discussed and explained here:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/is-there-a-rough-guide-of-carat-for-coloured-gem-stones.128000/

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results