shape
carat
color
clarity

Poll 'till 10 AM: which stone for a Van Craeynest solitaire?

Which stone would you pick?

• Alexandrite

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • Round brilliant sapphire

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • Cabochon sapphire

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Round brilliant green tourmaline

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • Elongated emerald-cut emerald

• Smaller oval ruby cab

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Round brilliant ruby

Votes: 15 34.1%
  • Larger oval ruby cab

• Total voters

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have a gorgeous new Van Craeynest 812 solitaire in YG. It's estate, and the extant head is suited for a .25 stone, give or take. I'm hoping to pop an AVC, or the VVVVVVVSBF diamond of my dreams in there for my anniversary in the fall (which I imagine will necessitate changing out the head) but in the meantime, I'd like to enjoy it with every ounce of my being, so I want to set something into it and wear it without fear of drawing blood from my loved ones. Only thing is, given that I hadn't been planning any big purchases right at present ... I need to do this on a BUDGET, yo.

So I ransacked my collection for any-and-everything that might potentially fit: came up with one alexandrite, two sapphires, two gre--eeen stones, three rubies, four calling birds and fi-ive golden rings, and a par-tridge in a ... wait, never mind, only the first half of the sentence was true, but you get what I mean.

*From the top, left-to-right:
- Emerald-cut alexandrite, about 4.7x3.2mm
- round brilliant sapphire, about 4.1mm, and cabochon sapphire, about 4mm even
- round green tourmaline, about 3.7mm, and emerald-cut emerald, about 5.5x3mm
- oval ruby cabochon, 4.2x3.7, round brilliant ruby, 3.6mm, and oval ruby cabochon, 4.6x3.7mm

The rounds all fit the prongs, though at varying depths, but in this setting I honestly won't mind having a 3mm stone in the slightest, so long as it's the *right* 3mm stone. The oval fits with a little adjustment: the two elongated emerald cuts would require some work, but I'm curious to hear what they have to say about the degree of labor to adapt the head, because quality-wise, the one at the top is a rather good alexandrite and the one on the right hand side in the third row is an excellent emerald, and if it wouldn't be too much work to make them fit, I'd be massively tempted. Rubies are all, according to the guy who sold them to me, unheated and untreated, and as he, a) cut them, and, b) was basically the closest thing I had to an uncle growing up, I believe him.

Soooooo ... what do you guys say? Which would you choose? I'm off to see the local Van Craeynest-carrying jeweler bright and early tomorrow morning, so if you want to throw your opinion out there, do it tonight and earn my eternal gratitude!

vc_color_array_1.jpg

vc_color_array_fluorescent_1.jpg

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Re: Poll 'till 10 AM: which stone for a Van Craeynest solita

And, a few shots of the setting, just for background ... I'll probably generally be wearing them flanking my french-cut eternity band ....

[pics of 'em as just bands, with the head up, and with the head with one of the options popped in]

_6921.jpg

french_stack_0.jpg

french_stack_3.jpg

french_stack_wgreen_stone_0.jpg

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

... that said, I also really love how they look alone as a set.

vc_set_wgreen_1.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

We need some ruby shots! I think that would be such a rich look. Love the green too though.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

And, just for the sake of completism, here are a couple of shots I snapped of the round brilliant sapphire vs. the round brilliant green tourmaline in identical lighting. Wish I'd found the rest in time to make it a complete experiment! In artificial evening light ... not so useful :nono:

in_2.jpg

in_shadow_1.jpg

in_3.jpg

in_sun_1.jpg

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

tyty333|1370566127|3460554 said:
We need some ruby shots! I think that would be such a rich look. Love the green too though.

I'll see if the light - and the rubies! - will oblige. Getting the cabs to balance on the prongs is reeeeeeeeeee-dic-ulous!

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock

the round brilliant ruby has all my attention.

mimB

Shiny_Rock

Ooh, so delicious looking!

Based on the photos, I'd vote for the green stone color wise, and blue stone size wise.
I feel like any of the cabs would look dull in this setting because the band itself has intricate detail.
Also, the emerald cut green stone perfect would be a cool edgy choice?

If you're the time, more photos please! :razz:

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I want you all to know that balancing a cab on top of prongs is NOT the most fun a girl can have with her clothes on.

But photographs are forthcoming.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

H'okay! Many pics to come, starting with the rubies (but, c'mon, once I got started there was no way I could resist the alexandrite or the emerald).

First up, lots and lots of RED. It occurred to me one of these could be a good choice just because I wear a LOT of red, and have not one, not two, but THREE ruby eternities that I love and wear a lot.

faceted_ruby_fluorescent.jpg

faceted_ruby_fluorescent_2.jpg

faceted_ruby_incandescent.jpg

faceted_ruby_incandescent_2.jpg

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

AND it looks good with the bands - here it is with my french-cut ruby band.

Of course, the cab looks pretty smokin' with it, too.

(Just for fun, one of ALL the ruby bands before I get back to business.)

fluorescent_with_band.jpg

cab_ruby_with_band_fluorescent.jpg

cab_ruby_with_band_incandescent.jpg

lots_of_rubies.jpg

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

The cab in all its glory ....

cab_ruby_fluorescent_1.jpg

cab_ruby_incandescent_1.jpg

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

The alexandrite, which displays a very nice purple-to-green color change - sure, I'd rather it was red-to-green, but beggars, choosers, etc.

alexandrite_incandescent_2.jpg

alexandrite_incandescent.jpg

alexandrite_fluorescent_2.jpg

alexandrite_fluorescent_3.jpg

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I was a little confused when I got to my pics of the emerald, sort of like, "What the hell kind of lighting did THAT?" before I figured out that I'd just moved on to the next stone.

emerald_incandescent.jpg

emerald_incandescent_2.jpg

emerald_fluorescent.jpg

emerald_fluorescent_3.jpg

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

And thus do we conclude the picture-posting segment of our program, or, to quote the ineffable philosopher-king of our time, th-th-th-that's all, f-f-f-olks!

My problem here isn't that I'm "meh" about all of them and just want to slot something in and have done with it. My problem is that I want to wear ALL Of The Gems and take over from LOGR in title if not in function, and am seriously considering asking if they can somehow modify my other two bands so that I can make pretty little stackers.

But until and unless that glorious day comes ... in the meantime, guys! WHICH ONE???

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock

I'm actually going to go against my usual color pallette (which is all cool blue/green/purple) and say that the round brilliant ruby looks absolutely perfect in the setting. It pops against the rich yellow gold. I also am not really seeing an elongated stone, even though the alex and emeralds are probably my favorites of the lot.

Demelza

Ideal_Rock

First of all, beautiful set!!! I am really craving some yellow gold these days!

I definitely prefer a round stone in that setting. The elongated stones don't look quite right to me. I like the round brilliant ruby the best because I think the color looks beautiful against the rich yellow gold. But I also think the green tourmaline works. I don't care for the sapphire with the yellow gold.

Can't wait to see what you choose and how it turns out!

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock

I voted for the tourmaline, but I do think the ruby brilliant looks gorgeous, especially since you have those ruby bands to go with it too... I am kinda meh about the emerald cuts with that setting.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Circe|1370572986|3460659 said:
My problem is that I want to wear ALL Of The Gems

Yup, that's what I would want in your place too :bigsmile:

The photo that really stopped me in my tracks though was the one with your ruby eternities. Fabulousness! So I voted for the stone that I think would work best with that stack -- the brilliant round ruby.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

I'm loving the look of the smaller ruby cab in that setting. I like the contrast between the cabochon and the facets of your eternity and the red just PUNCHES the YG and looks amazing on your hand.

Good luck - what a wonderful dilemma to have!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

I voted for the larger oval ruby, even though I'm a blue/green girl, but my second would be the green tourm. I can't wait to see what you pick!

(BTW, I'm going to be in NYC in August for my nerdy husband's conference, do you suggest any blingy places to go? Want to GTG? I'll have my little one in tow I believe. And I'm trying to talk NKOTB into flying down from Toronto as well. I don't know any other NYC PSers though!)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Demelza|1370576225|3460697 said:
First of all, beautiful set!!! I am really craving some yellow gold these days!

I definitely prefer a round stone in that setting. The elongated stones don't look quite right to me. I like the round brilliant ruby the best because I think the color looks beautiful against the rich yellow gold. But I also think the green tourmaline works. I don't care for the sapphire with the yellow gold.

Can't wait to see what you choose and how it turns out!

Yes, I totally agree with this. I just love the round ruby with the rich yellow gold. Gorgeous! :love: I also love the green tourmaline but the red ruby would be my first choice. They all look lovely though! Nice dilemma to have. :appl:
Enjoy your shopping decisions today Circe!

GoldfishPie

Rough_Rock

Okay, jewelers... Clearly there is an untapped market here. Can someone design a pop-in head ring? So we can just set each gorgeous stone in its own head, then swap them in and out as we please? Maybe a screw-in contraption? It would end heartbreaking and impossible decisions like this one!!

I'm kidding of course, but I simply couldn't vote because they are all breathtaking. I think I'm leaning more towards the tourmalines, but I've been on a green and gold kick recently, and it looks divine with the gold detailing. What beautiful rings!

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock

Well they all look fabulous. What an incredible pair of rings! The rubies would obviously be awesome for pairing with your to die for set of bands. But I actually voted for the alexandrite. I think it or the emerald set EW would be so cool.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock

The round ruby cab is great with the rich gold. So is the green tourm. I'd take either one. I'd be worried the emerald is vulnerable to chipping or scratching, kind of hanging out like that. Red or green!

--- Laurie

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi,

I voted for the ruby. Its looks as if it belongs with the ring. A second choice would be the cab ruby. Ruby all the way!

Annette

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade

What did you decide, Circe? Don't keep us in suspense! ;))

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

And the winner is ....

vc_set_wgreen_2.jpg

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Before y'all get excited, that IS the same shot from before: they have a ten day turn-around time, so I get to pick it up on the 21st. I could have had the two day turn around for another $30, but I cheaped out ... that right there is a nice bottle of wine for the eventual photoshoot!

On the way down, I was feeling really torn - you guys helped me to realize that of all the stones, the ruby and the tourmaline were my front-runners, but the problem is that from there on it was a TIE. I like the combination of green and gold more than red and gold ... but I also liked the practicality of wearing it with my bands. But, the existing head decided for me - I would have needed a lot of finicky work for the ruby to fit, and the tourmaline was basically made for the setting. Voila, decision made!

I am going to be staring at this photo A LOT for the next week and a half, y'all.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I LOVE both the round brilliant green tourm or the red ruby!! They look awesome against that yellow gold. I don't love the elongated stones - I think the rounds look great against the band (s)!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results