shape
carat
color
clarity

Poll: Ideal stone size for a pair of colored stone earrings

What's your ideal stone size for an everyday pair of colored stone earrings?

• 5mm

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • 6mm

Votes: 15 34.9%
  • 7mm

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • 8mm

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • 9mm

Votes: 2 4.7%

• Total voters

thbmok

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for all the responses in my last poll. All comments and suggestions were immensely helpful. Now that the pendant is completed it's time to start planning for the next project! :naughty:

What's your ideal stone size for an everyday pair of colored stone earrings? What are you comfortable with wearing on a daily basis?

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Re: Poll: Ideal stone size for a pair of colored stone earri

How are you going to wear them? I'd wear a bigger pair for dangles or hoops than I would for studs.

Lilia

Rough_Rock
Trade

I picked 5mm because I like wearing studs. However, the size will depend on how you would wear the earrings. If I was wearing dangles,I would probably go for 7 or 8mm.

thbmok

Brilliant_Rock

That's a good point! Perhaps I should clarify that for the purpose of this poll I'm thinking more along the lines of a relatively simple pair of stud or lever back earrings. I feel like more elaborate dangles or hoops may be a bit too heavy and impractical for daily wear. Thanks in advance for your input!

cookies

Brilliant_Rock

This is a great post! I have been thinking about the same question in the past few days.

For simple studs, I like anything between 4mm-6mm. For simple french wire earrings, I think 7mm-8mm might be good. I am planning to get a 7mm pair with french wire. This will be my first pair of dangles. :))

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I vote for 6mm because I think they are a great size for studs. Not too little or too much!

cellentani

Ideal_Rock

For me, it all depends on the setting.

5mm for diamond halo jackets

6mm for plain studs

7mm for leverback dangles

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

cellentani|1339855781|3217648 said:
For me, it all depends on the setting.

5mm for diamond halo jackets

6mm for plain studs

7mm for leverback dangles

I think this is a perfect breakdown based on function! I like this,Cellantini!

SB621

Ideal_Rock

Hi THB,

I'm curious to see how your earrings turn out. I have been working on detachable gemstone earrings for about a year now- though mine will not be for every day wear, more like special occasions. I can't wait to see yours!

cellentani

Ideal_Rock

Sarahbear621|1339861235|3217683 said:
Hi THB,

I'm curious to see how your earrings turn out. I have been working on detachable gemstone earrings for about a year now- though mine will not be for every day wear, more like special occasions. I can't wait to see yours!
Sarahbear, I'm always interested in detachable earrings - don't want to threadjack, but I hope you start your own thread soon with your design ideas!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I like 6 mm for studs and 7 mm for leverbacks too. 6 mm for leverbacks would be my minimum size. I advise getting detachable leverback earrings too. Just have the stone part with a small hoop that can be slid in and out of the leverback to make them more versatile. Easier for storage too.

SB621

Ideal_Rock

cellentani|1339862168|3217694 said:
Sarahbear621|1339861235|3217683 said:
Hi THB,

Sarahbear, I'm always interested in detachable earrings - don't want to threadjack, but I hope you start your own thread soon with your design ideas!

Thanks Cellentani! I will start one probably in the fall. My jewerly fund is empty till then :nono: I do know that I will have DBL complete the earrings. I have the OMC's to be used as the top/stud part. I also have some tourmalines from Rick as the dangle but they are small at 6x4. I was hoping for something bigger.

Sorry for the threadjack Thb!

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock

I didn't vote because I have diamond earring jackets for 4mm stones, so that is my favorite size. I enjoy being able to change out the center stones without them breaking the bank. I currently have diamond, spessartite and tsavorite martinis in 4mm and I have other 4mm sets headed my way. I have small lobes so they are the perfect size for me (in the diamond jackets). If you are talking studs without jackets, then my favorite size is 6.5 (1ct) studs in three prong martini jackets so they don't stick out from your ear.

thbmok

Brilliant_Rock

I certainly don't mind the thread jack! I haven't even considered detachable earrings before! :idea:

cellentani and colorluvr, what size are your diamond halo jackets for your stone sizes?

cellentani

Ideal_Rock

thbmok|1339898868|3217975 said:
I certainly don't mind the thread jack! I haven't even considered detachable earrings before! :idea:

cellentani and colorluvr, what size are your diamond halo jackets for your stone sizes?
As colorluvr said, her jackets hold 4mm studs, and I actually have 4mm and the 5mm sizes. Both jacket sizes have 3-point diamonds in the halo, but you can find jackets in all sizes.

Detachable earrings are a fantastic idea - I have a pair that slide onto the post of a stud earring, and you can also get leverbacks with an open loop for interchangeable charms.

Let me know if you need photos of anything - I'm sure I could come up with some.

thbmok

Brilliant_Rock

Yes please! Photos would be very helpful! Thanks cellentani!

cellentani

Ideal_Rock

I can think of 2 types of interchangeable leverbacks:

1) an oval leverback, almost like an oval hoop

2) the more traditional shaped leverback with an open loop

The other option is to dangle a stone from the back post of a stud - mine are in halos, but of course you could do this with a plain basket setting as well. The bezeled accent diamond above the stone isn't even necessary, but the stone should hang low enough that it's not tucked behind the stud. You'll have to consider if it should hang below your lobe as well.

Hope that helps!

Oval Leverback.jpg

open leverback.jpg

IMG_2627.JPG

thbmok

Brilliant_Rock

Very interesting! It looks like a dangle from the back post of a stud is a slightly more elegant and versatile detachable option. Given proper spacing I'm assuming it would work alongside jackets as well? I'm thinking of doing 5-6mm studs for daily wear, jackets for a bit more impact on some days, and perhaps a dangle from the back post for special occasions.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have the traditional open loop leverback style to switch out my earring "studs" which works pretty much for everyday wear. I agree that the longer chain style hanging from a post is more elegant and dressy. I've also seen a hoop style (with diamonds going halfway around it) and interchangable gems hanging off it, which is a little dressier.

thbmok

Brilliant_Rock

Chrono, do you have pictures of your set? How easy is it to switch out the studs? Thanks for your ideas!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

Cellantini - Those are BRILLIANT ideas! Man, its probably so simple and obvious, but seeing the lever backs and then your loop/dangles to add for fancier occassions... why didn't I think of that??? Bravo! Where did you pick up the lever backs? are they simple enough to just pick up anywhere?

Geesh... so simple, yet so clever. Maybe a few little treasures will be my IDJ NYC treat to myself when/if we meet in October!! :naughty:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Switching out the "studs" is very easy and quick: just open the back portion and slide the old stud out, then slide the new stud on. The stud sits in the notched portion of the hoop so it stays centered at the lowerst part of the hoop while still allowing side to side and a certain amount of frontal movement. You'll want the jeweller to tilt the jump ring a little otherwise the stud will be facing downwards and tilted inwards a little. You'll see what I mean with my third picture below.

Leverback1.png

Leverback2.png

Leverback3.png

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I usually hang my dangly extras onto studs, but I'd love to be able to hang them off oval leverbacks too. Does anyone know where I can get a gold pair (real 14-18kt not plated or filled) ?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

chel180|1340020908|3218620 said:
I usually hang my dangly extras onto studs, but I'd love to be able to hang them off oval leverbacks too. Does anyone know where I can get a gold pair (real 14-18kt not plated or filled) ?

Chel,
I had my jeweller order mine. They are 14K, not plated or filled. I have not see the oval type before but would think your local jeweller should be able to source them.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock

Here are a couple sources from a quick search, but they are 14K yellow gold - white gold seems to be harder to find.

This first link is from Rio Grande - if you can't see pricing, you'll need to create an account, which is as simple as signing up with a username and password (you don't need to be trade). The price it's giving me is $41.09/pair.
https://www.riogrande.com/Product/14K-Yellow-Gold-Lever-Back-Ear-Wire-with-Interchangeable-Ring/646611?pos=4

From esslinger: http://www.esslinger.com/14k-yellow-gold-leverback-ear-wire-with-interchangeable-ring.aspx

I think it's worth Chrono's suggestion of checking with your local jeweller as well - by the time you pay shipping, the cost might be nearly the same.

Enerchi (and others who live near/visit the NYC diamond district), I'm fairly certain you can source these a little cheaper through one of the findings vendors. You can also pick up the little jump rings as well.

thbmok

Brilliant_Rock

Chrono said:
The stud sits in the notched portion of the hoop so it stays centered at the lowerst part of the hoop while still allowing side to side and a certain amount of frontal movement.

Thanks for pointing that out Chrono! The wiggle room may bother me a bit for daily wear.

Does anyone keep their colored stone studs on 24/7? What stones are they and how have they held up?

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock

thbmok|1340696837|3223736 said:
Chrono said:
The stud sits in the notched portion of the hoop so it stays centered at the lowerst part of the hoop while still allowing side to side and a certain amount of frontal movement.

Thanks for pointing that out Chrono! The wiggle room may bother me a bit for daily wear.

Does anyone keep their colored stone studs on 24/7? What stones are they and how have they held up?
I used to wear my blue diamond studs (irradiated color, of course), 4 mm in size set in 14kt yellow gold, day and night and they held up fine. So did my brown diamond studs that were 5 mm in size.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The wiggle gives the stone some movement akin to dangle earrings as opposed to stationary studs. A single jump hoop gives limited movement while more jump rings will swish more. My spessartites are able to take 24/7 wear without damage so far and it's been several years. The same goes for my amethyst earrings. Spinels are tough so no worries there either.

petit_bijou

Shiny_Rock

This thread is awesome! So much learning! Does anyone know if there is a thread with ear pics of different size studs?

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock

petit_bijou|1340717224|3223772 said:
This thread is awesome! So much learning! Does anyone know if there is a thread with ear pics of different size studs?
Absolutely. There is a pinned thread at the top of "Show Me the Bling!" entitled "Show Me Your Diamond Studs". They aren't colored stones, but there are 26 pages of stud earring bling to enjoy on lots of different sized lobes.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results