shape
carat
color
clarity

Please talk me into or out of this ruby

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
This showed up on the site of a reputable cutter. For the low price, I could probably take his word that it's unheated, or take it to AGL for a rush job during the generous return period. And though it is small, at 5.39x 4.90x 3.42 mm, it looks like an awful lot of color and glow for the price. But the shape..... The only way I came up to set it was in a thick-sided bezel that essentially covered up the bite out of one side. So what does everybody or anybody else think? And how would you suggest setting it? ruby-72-cts.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I've considered this stone myself, and I would put in a pendant that holds the part of the circle that is missing, and makes it look like it is just behind diamond/metal.

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, I didn't need much encouragement, I just sent payment! I respect your interest and your opinion. Will let you know how it turns out.

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
And after all it is a lot cheaper than the Sunrise Ruby, and maybe a better color! We shall see.......

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have seen the photo's on the vendor's site and it looks like an amazing colour. Let us know what you think when you have received it.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It reminds me of a cherry. Maybe you can add a green "tsavorite" stem to it. :naughty:

cherry_stella444_1_.jpg

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
It just got here and I am going cross-eyed looking at it through a loupe. I do love the color, especially how red it is when viewed straight on. It's a complex little beast, and looks quite purple at some angles in the sunshine, but it looks very red in indirect indoor light, too, and that's important. Impossible to photograph accurately. Keeping it. Still trying to figure out how to set it.

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
He has (or had) a blue sapphire cut that way that was very tempting, too.

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
And now I have a little box of unset red stones, from garnet to fire opal to spinel to tourmaline to red zircon, plus the ruby. Thinking vaguely of "rubies by the yard." Who has had something like that done? Bezel settings, I presume.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad you are keeping is. Please snap some pics for us.

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
My photography skills and equipment are horrible. See my avatar for further details.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
A very nice ruby from Gemrite!! :appl:

The video is funny!!! :D

I have a small brazilian Paraiba in this shape!! Better then an eggshaped oval..

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd set it in a pendant with a trillion set in the flat area, have the chain run though the posted nt of the trillions.

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
Not sure I know what you mean by "the posted nt of the the trillions."

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
Proving what a bad photographer I am, here is the red stone that insists on looking purple in my photos. The more I think about it, the better an idea the trillion sounds like. It would look like a logo of some sort.
img_5803.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A half moon diamond above it, making it "complete".

tourma-guy

Shiny_Rock
Chrono|1430393000|3870000 said:

I vote for this. That would be a really neat design. Almost like a planet or sun with something in its orbit. :)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
boerumbiddy|1430339758|3869808 said:
Not sure I know what you mean by "the posted nt of the the trillions."
My idiot auto correct paired with my lack of proof reading - sorry.

I meant I'd run the chain behind the point of the trillion

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tourma-guy|1430401571|3870049 said:
Chrono|1430393000|3870000 said:

I vote for this. That would be a really neat design. Almost like a planet or sun with something in its orbit. :)

+2: this would embrace the shape in a really nice way.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results