shape
carat
color
clarity

Please post your emerald eternity bands

fancysauce

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I would love to eventually get my partner an emerald eternity band, but I'm not sure what my options are. Could you please post a picture of any emerald bands that you may have? Also I am curious where you purchased your band.

Thanks!

fancysauce

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the pic DandT!

Here's an example of something I'm really interested in, except I would want it to be all emeralds and no diamonds. I found this ring online but in a very small size. Sorry these photos are really large ...

emerald_20.jpg

emerald_band_2.jpg

fancysauce

Rough_Rock
Well I found the ring on Lang Antiques, and that was the only size. I'm definitely considering a channel set band so that it will fit nicely against her thin platinum band, but I'm open to other ideas. :)

Thanks for your help. Do you think emeralds are okay for everyday wear?

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Although emerald is a hard enough gem like not prone to scratching. I would worry more about them cracking/breaking for a full eternity because of their inherent nature with cleavage plane. Would you consider maybe green sapphires or just half how about 3/4 or dare I say solder a half band? or mix in some diamonds to maybe on the off chance that the band accidentally hits something hard, that the diamonds will catch the blow instead of the emerald.

But... I don't have much experience with very small emeralds. Hopefully someone with an eternity full of emerald might be able to give you more insight on their durability. im more of a worry wart :errrr: if they arent sapphires or colored diamonds in an eternity band.

fancysauce

Rough_Rock
DandT|1406171758|3719585 said:
Although emerald is a hard enough gem like not prone to scratching. I would worry more about them cracking/breaking for a full eternity because of their inherent nature with cleavage plane. Would you consider maybe green sapphires or just half how about 3/4 or dare I say solder a half band? or mix in some diamonds to maybe on the off chance that the band accidentally hits something hard, that the diamonds will catch the blow instead of the emerald.

Sh!t just got real...I guess I have a lot more to consider besides how pretty emeralds look!

Can you recommend a gemstone vendor so that I can inquire about green sapphires? I didn't even know green sapphires existed.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
green sapphires aren't as vivid as the emerald, they look like these... and might even be a little difficult to come by. Here is a list of all the vendors many of us have had positive experience with
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/can-we-start-a-new-thread-with-respected-cs-vendors.169561/page-5']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/can-we-start-a-new-thread-with-respected-cs-vendors.169561/page-5[/URL]

Also if they are relatively small emeralds, I'm not saying that you couldn't get them, you'd just have to be careful, and maybe going into understanding that you might have to replace some down the road. Diamonds can also crack with enough force in just the right place and need replacing at times.

http://lauriesarahdesigns.com/green-sapphire-statement-eternity-ring-ls1924

sapphiregreeneternity.jpg

fancysauce

Rough_Rock
I see what you mean about the difference in color between emeralds and green sapphires. Since my partner can be pretty hard on her jewelry, I may have to consider a half-eternity band or perhaps a ring with three or five larger stones.

Thank you for the link to the vendor thread!

It's obvious that I know very little about gemstones. Are there certain treatments or characteristics that I should avoid in emeralds?

Thanks again for your help...all this is way over my head :shock:

I *just* noticed the channel set ring you posted earlier. I've written to the Etsy seller. For that price, my partner is free to be a little clumsy!

MrsCornishWed

Shiny_Rock
On topic but possibly slightly deviating but I have to show you! One of my favourite jewellery designers made this custom a while back and I adore it!

img_20140724_080339.jpg

screenshot_2014-07-24-07-59-42.png

screenshot_2014-07-24-07-59-46.png

InToTheMystic

Shiny_Rock
Not the greatest picture, but it was the only one I had handy - should be sufficient to get the idea. I decided to get a five stone that stretched across the entire top of the finger instead of a full band because I was worried about damage to the stones underneath and on the sides.

496.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Emeralds make beautiful bands but they're not a good candidate for everyday wear, especially if she's hard on jewelry. They are susceptible to chipping, cracking, abrasion & exposure to chemicals, such as those in cleaning products, etc. They don't stand up well to heat, either.

This is my half eternity I bought at Tiffany's when I worked there. (Lousy photo of the emeralds -- I was focusing on the spinel ring. They truly are green! :oops: )

I only wear it when going out, never at home. Even with limited wear, the facets are showing some abrasion; it's inevitable pretty much.

Read this thread: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-to-coloured-gemstone-buying-read-this-first.174284/. It will give you a lot of info -- emeralds are mentioned along with useful other stuff.

What other colors does SHE like? You might give her a band of a more durable stone, such as sapphire, diamond (colored or white), spinel, now and an emerald one for special occasions later on. Good luck!

_20609.jpg

fancysauce

Rough_Rock
MrsCornishWed|1406185656|3719648 said:
On topic but possibly slightly deviating but I have to show you! One of my favourite jewellery designers made this custom a while back and I adore it!

Neat! I've never seen a ring like that. Thanks for sharing.

fancysauce

Rough_Rock
InToTheMystic|1406187082|3719655 said:
Not the greatest picture, but it was the only one I had handy - should be sufficient to get the idea. I decided to get a five stone that stretched across the entire top of the finger instead of a full band because I was worried about damage to the stones underneath and on the sides.

Thanks for sharing the photo of your five-stone band. That gives me a good idea of what larger emeralds would look like. I too am worried about having stones all around the band, especially with emeralds being a bit fragile.

I see your band has a friend next to it. Are those emeralds as well?

fancysauce

Rough_Rock
JewelFreak|1406202255|3719712 said:
Emeralds make beautiful bands but they're not a good candidate for everyday wear, especially if she's hard on jewelry. They are susceptible to chipping, cracking, abrasion & exposure to chemicals, such as those in cleaning products, etc. They don't stand up well to heat, either.
As much as she would love the color, I realize that for her it may not be the best stone choice for an eternity band. But she said that she'd be okay with this Cartier blue sapphire band in platinum! Or any of these bands really.
__57__23_.jpg

This is my half eternity I bought at Tiffany's when I worked there. (Lousy photo of the emeralds -- I was focusing on the spinel ring. They truly are green! :oops: )
I like both those rings. I can't imagine how much jewelry (and how little net take-home pay!) my partner would have if she worked at Tiffany. :D

I only wear it when going out, never at home. Even with limited wear, the facets are showing some abrasion; it's inevitable pretty much.

Read this thread: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-to-coloured-gemstone-buying-read-this-first.174284/. It will give you a lot of info -- emeralds are mentioned along with useful other stuff.

What other colors does SHE like? You might give her a band of a more durable stone, such as sapphire, diamond (colored or white), spinel, now and an emerald one for special occasions later on. Good luck!
She likes other colors as well. I am considering sapphire, but it seems hard to find one with a rich blue color. Hopefully we'll have many years of jewelry purchases ahead of us so she may end up with many different gemstones. I'll definitely take some time to look through the recommended vendor thread and the gemstone-buying thread to which you kindly provided a link. Thanks!

InToTheMystic

Shiny_Rock
fancysauce|1406258081|3720240 said:
InToTheMystic|1406187082|3719655 said:

Thanks for sharing the photo of your five-stone band. That gives me a good idea of what larger emeralds would look like. I too am worried about having stones all around the band, especially with emeralds being a bit fragile.

I see your band has a friend next to it. Are those emeralds as well?

Yes they are, Zambian ones though and they are a paler green and with some small dark inclusions. The ones in my five stone band are Colombian and much clearer, brighter and glowier. They work well together though and I haven't had any problems with chipping or abrasion (yet). I'm sure I will in the future with continued wear though, and am resigned to that fact. It's one of the trade-offs you may have to make when you fall in love with a particular type of stone, such as emerald.

I've been slowly putting together an emerald suite over a number of years, but none of my pieces are what you would classify as top-end. I think I feel safer wearing them that way, as it won't be as completely devastated if I damage a less expensive piece! If I had truly magnificent emeralds that cost a fortune, I think I'd be too scared to let them out of the jewellery box which would be a complete waste of time and money in my view. Others are likely to feel differently, but that's the beauty of coloured stones - there are options and variety everywhere to suit your own particular philosophies.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results