shape
carat
color
clarity

Pink Tourmaline

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
What do you think of these for earrings?
4mm eyeclean or better. 2 different pair shown.

hmmm.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock

hmmm2.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
also a question.
Would white or yellow gold go better with these?

Im thinking white would look better but earrings arent something I pay much attention to.

yowahking

Shiny_Rock
Tough to tell color on the computer, if they are really as purple/pink as they show on the screen, very nice color. Most customers are going with white and the 3 prong settings for simple studs. If they have a tinge of orange to the pink, yellow will look nice. Soft pink, either. Most simple settings will show more stone than metal anyway.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
9.gif
Yellow gold, of course. Those are short of edible !
5.gif

I wouldn't dare say "bezel" (who else likes them here?) but you may want to look at THESE prong settings - they are really low and the minuscule progs get lost into the background. My jeweler makes stud earrings just about like this (no bridge between <0.5mm arched prongs) saying that it makes little sense to ahve a "bridge" between the prongs for small stones. It makes sense to me
read.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's the main idea - what eight tiny dots look like versus three larger ones. Each of the three (or few, whatever) prongs must be stronger, but one of eight can be really small.
To scale, the "tips" of the prongs in the pic are less than 1mm in the 3-prong version and half as large in the eight prong version. I do not know if the eight prong type is available off the rack - i've seen them being made of wire though and the jeweler made it look easy indeed
1.gif

eEghttoThree.JPG

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
hmmm I love bezels
I will have to see how much these are....

21393.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Strm, the problem with that type of leverback is that the stone tends to face downward most of the time. You'll need to add a ring or two to keep it facing upward. I'm going to find a picture to illustrate what I mean.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The bezel in this picture also has quite an interesting scrollwork. I like the fact that the stone will also be facing the viewer rather than tilted downward because of the extra "ring" that allows it to sit in that position.

leverback.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks chrono my setting guy said the same thing.
The bezel setting he came up with would blow my budget so its back to the basics.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is the one I think im going to go with.

1924.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock

1924t.jpg

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
What about a simple stud bezel? If not, how about small diamond accents? You could buy them before the national don't buy week.
wink2.gif
9.gif

I love tourmalines. I have two pink pears to set myself!

P.S. I am serious about the small diamonds.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
hmm I thought about small diamond accents but the total budget is under $100 for this project and im right at the limit.
I will ask about stud bezels.

Gale

Shiny_Rock
Where, oh where did you find those deliciously coloured stones?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
www.diamondexpert.com

Im buying one pair the other should be up on his site soon.
One of the stones has a small chip so he is working on replacing it then is picking the pair to send me.
If he doesnt have what you want on the site he will track it down for you.
Gary is great to work with.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
BTW, I like white gold. But, what does she wear & what looks good w/ her coloring.

Ya know, you could always set those in sterling & do the drop bezel. E.R. don't get much abuse & sterling should be strong enough. I am going through that debate as well. I won a sunset topaz & purchased two small pink t's to go into it. It's just a momento so I want to keep costs down w/ design up.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Unfortunately s. silver isn’t an option she is a hairdresser and it reacts bad to the chemicals she works with.
It is a good idea though thanks :}
She wears both white and yellow gold jewelry and sometimes a mix.

Keep the ideas coming I appreciate the help :}

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
What do you all think of this one?

3641.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
sorta like this.,,,

edit.. the more I look at this picture the less I like it maybe in white gold it would look better,,,,

36412.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really like this one.
sterling would be awesome for it with the tarnished look but that will have to be another project for someone else.

36413.jpg

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Most of the jewelry I wear tends to be on the moderne side. I like simple clean lines. The stones are so pretty by themselves. So, I'd vote simple bezel studs. Or you could suspend the stone inside a triangle.

Gale

Shiny_Rock
I really like the white flower shaped setting. But, what would your girl prefer? Does she like/wear jewelery like that?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I found out from my wifey2b that my sister who the earrings are for likes white gold better so thats what it will be.
Still havent nailed down a setting yet but I have time.
Im not sure what she likes in earrings.
I know she dont go for a ton of rings and likes the simplier pendants.
Im thinking im talking myself into having him hunt down a white gold simple bezel and post setting.

Gale

Shiny_Rock
Always a classic choice. And they would be very pretty in any of the settings you have mentioned.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have the stones here.
color: slightly purple pink with large flashes of hot pink. Not as dark as the photos above show The black looking areas in the pictures above are actualy darker pink/purple not black.

Cut: not bad but does have some missed meet points and some areas show rough looking polish: Over all they are cut well enough to look great.

Clarity: from the top id rate them just barely eyeclean.
In otherwords if you find the inclusions with a loupe then you can see them fairly easily without magnification.
Without knowing where they are they blend in well with the coloring and cut of the stone.

Value: I did find some for $15 each + shipping and these were about $10 more than that shipped. A couple vendors that I talked to said that the $15 ones were no where near as nice as these and getting a well matched pair isnt easy. So for the quality I think the price was fair but not a steal. That is pretty much the way I feel about all of the gemstones Iv bought from Gary not the best bargains but a fair price for what you get.

Vendor: not much to say other than Gary @ diamondexpert.com rocks :}
He will be getting more of my money.

Thanks Gary! :}

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
went with this one.
I showed my niece this thread and she went WOW as soon as she saw it so thats the one its going to be.
36413.jpg

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Great choice.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I know you've already decided, and those white-gold flowers look stunning, but has anyone considered rose gold for pink stones? I LOVE rose gold myself.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 9/8/2004 11:42:23 AM glitterata wrote:

I know you've already decided, and those white-gold flowers look stunning, but has anyone considered rose gold for pink stones? I LOVE rose gold myself.----------------

funny you mention that I did look into it and couldnt find it in a stock setting and my budget wouldnt allow anything custom.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results