shape
carat
color
clarity

pink tourmaline + rose gold? Thoughts.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
I recently purchased this beautiful pink tourmaline Pinky1.jpg from Freke, and am working with Brian Gavin to set it in a diamond halo right hand ring. The stone itself will be bezel set inside the halo and I am toying with the idea of using rose gold on the bezel. The rest of the ring will be white gold. There will also be milgrain on the outside of the halo, but not on the bezel.

What do you guys think? Will the rose gold accentuate the pinkness of the stone or wash it out? Will white gold make the stone "pop" more? I'm a few weeks away from getting the CADs, so I have some time to make a decision.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do you have any rose gold to hold next to it? I'm leaning towards yes on the RG, but I'm not 100% convinced...

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Darn! Any new pennies sitting around? They are often too coppery, but it at least gives you an idea!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would do 18K yellow gold. The thing is that it doesn't need help to look more pink, and since rose gold is a bit coppery, it might impede the pink-ness in the stone. Yellow gold on the other hand, is a wonderful contrast, and I think it makes pink and red stones pop more. You could do white as well, but that would be more of a traditional look.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
First, what an incredible stone!! Second, I think a rose gold halo will be beautiful; really showcase the deep pink of the stone. Good luck!

kt

Shiny_Rock
I just posted pics of my peachy pink spinel in a rose gold halo and I love it...in fact, i'm bezel setting a pink spinel in a milgrained bezel by DanielM as we speak...so I would think rose gold would look great!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kt|1320519800|3054700 said:
I just posted pics of my peachy pink spinel in a rose gold halo and I love it...in fact, i'm bezel setting a pink spinel in a milgrained bezel by DanielM as we speak...so I would think rose gold would look great!

KT,
I think light pink stones do much better in rose gold than hot pinks or reds. JMO.

I also adore rose gold, but the only stones I would not set it with are hot pinks, reds, chrome greens, and orange stones.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
kt|1320519800|3054700 said:

I saw your pics! :love: It's beautiful!!!!

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
TL|1320519288|3054695 said:
I would do 18K yellow gold. The thing is that it doesn't need help to look more pink, and since rose gold is a bit coppery, it might impede the pink-ness in the stone. Yellow gold on the other hand, is a wonderful contrast, and I think it makes pink and red stones pop more. You could do white as well, but that would be more of a traditional look.

I see your point, but I'm just not a fan of yellow gold. If I don't use rose gold I will definitely use white.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
I would do all white. I think rose gold looks better with lighter pinks or peachy-pinks.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
stargurl78|1320535070|3054829 said:
I would do all white. I think rose gold looks better with lighter pinks or peachy-pinks.

I've thought about that, and I think you're right. I think if the stone were lighter it would look better. Hmm...

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Lil Misfit|1320535267|3054833 said:
stargurl78|1320535070|3054829 said:

I've thought about that, and I think you're right. I think if the stone were lighter it would look better. Hmm...

I have to agree....I've seen this stone in person and it is a very bold pink.....white would be perfect!

Lori

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I generally agree with stargurl. I find the most rose golds have too much of an orange tone from the copper. Have you considered red gold? It looks like an intense form of 18K YG to me, and I think it can look great with red/pink toned stones. I think it's easiest to judge if you have a sample of the different metals next to your stone.

One big caveat is that if you ever have to have work done on a ring that is made with a nonstandard alloy, you may be a pain to find someone besides the original maker of the ring.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results