shape
carat
color
clarity

pink tourmaline Q

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pad3006

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone;
I was looking on the ACstones website and I found two beautiful pink tourmalines. One is 4.85 carats and the other is 5.08. They are both high clarity which is nice, the smaller one is loupe clean and the other is almost loupe clean. Are stones that size rare?
I am only asking because I am wondering if I should buy it now or wait and look around some more? thanks

Phil

Sagebrush

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Phil,

Haven''t followed your thread very closely. Understand you are looking for an engagement stone and from your last post I get the idea you want a fairly large rock. Also, don''t recall your stating your budget.

With colored stones, so long as they are eye-clean clarity has little to do with the issue. Who cares if a pink tourmaline is loupe clean, has absolutely no effect on price. Even in diamonds the so-called loupe clean standard is little more than an absurdity designed to provide a basis to make a fairly common gem seem rare.

Issue with colored stone is always color first. With an engagement ring durability is also a very important concern as your intended will wear this reing every day. Pink sapphire is your overall best choice for durability. Second choice, pink spinel. Tourmaline is tricky, I have set many over the past 25 years. They vary in hardness between 7-7.25. The softer ones will abrade slowly over time and there is no way to tell as the chemistry of tourmaline is complex and varies.

Since its all about the pink, the question is how pure is the hue, how highly saturated, does it show a mask, normally gray that dulls the purity of the color. How does the stone behave in incandescent lighting? You should look at a lot of stones which is difficult to do online as images can be altered.

pad3006

Shiny_Rock
Hi Richard;
Thanks very much for the post.
I didnt know that about tourmalines being soft, thanks for the info.
I want the stone to be light to medium pink, because it is a reproduction of a Pink diamond ring I saw at Tiffanys.
Any suggestions for a light pink stone? I heard that spindel (sp?) is a good chioce? Thank you again

Phil

triphane

Rough_Rock
Look at this eye candy Pink Tourmaline.

http://www.liveoakminerals.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=36&products_id=319&os

35.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/15/2005 12:03:59 AM
Author:pad3006

Are stones that size rare?
No. 5 cts is not rare for tourmaline. Pink is rare if intense (like that wonder found by Triphane) in any size.

If the ring will be worn often, sapphire or spinel make better choices and light pink (is this what you are after) is not very expensive in either material. 5 cts would be relative rare for these gems, but 2-3cts not quite.

Speaking about light pink:

In keeping with the size, price and color of one of your tourmalines ...
TPK-00231-s.jpg

a soft pink spinel from the same place
SPI-00172-s.jpg

and light pinks from Gemwow

p10708_0.jpg
p09862_0.jpg

& light levander from Gemcal (link)

t691-79.jpg

and from Cresla (their pictures do not fir here, take a look at #6858 and #6855)

There are a few light pink sapphire listed here, but prices are quite a bit higher ($500-$1000 /ct) as usual.

In the previous thread you asked about a setting... Well, it is simple, but finding one ready made to fit a large stone like that it is quite unlikely. Having one made custom would not be any more expensive than most off the rack options. Four prong basket with diamonds on the shank would make a wonderful, elegant ring with a large pink stone like those !
5.gif

Does any setting on this page match your plans ?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results