shape
carat
color
clarity

Pink Star Sapphire Ring

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I picked up my 1.95 ct pink star sapphire ring today. It is set in 18 kt red gold by Stephen Vincent Design in Minneapolis in their "ribbon" design. The stone is nearly round at 7.1-7.2 mm and was purchased from Vance Gems at Intergem. Bill Vance told me he personally picked it out on a buying trip to Sri Lanka.

I am delighted with this ring. It looks amazing in the red gold, and I'm loving the color in all lighting. The star pops out readily when a spot of light shines on it. A real star sapphire ring that I have been wanting since my high school days when Linde stars were all the rage.

First, the glamour shot by Stephen Vincent.

glamourshotsvincent.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Some more photos showing it in the sun, the shade and under incandescent lights.

starring_3345.jpg

starring_3352.jpg

starring_3343.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
From the side.

starring_3357.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
The loose stone before setting.

starsapphire_2602.jpg

starsapphire_0.jpg

starsapphire_2622.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for looking! :wavey:

starring_3382.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Verrry nice. The setting highlights the star really well.

--- Laurie

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful! I agree that the red gold looks great. And I love the design. I really allows the stone to pop! Congratulations. :appl:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Really sweet ring. One doesn't often see round cabochons and I love seeing the star move around in your pictures. Legs are straight and sharp too. The setting looks like it is an open backed setting? How does red gold compare to rose gold or are they one and the same? How does it compare to 14K anf 18K yellow gold? Is the difference slight (only when side by side) or it's obvious it isn't yellow gold?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know I've said this before, but I look forward to every one of your posts, FG, because you take such pretty stones and mount them with simple elegance that shows off the stone. I love this ring. I love the amount and color of the gold, and I love the sapphire, even though its pink (not high on my list of colors, but that stone :love: :love: )

Sigh...Fly, can I come over and play? Please? :bigsmile: **icon batting big innocent eyes ever so sweetly**

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like that.
Very cool!!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's beautiful! Everyone's star sapphire posts have been making me want one, which is weird because I never liked them before. But yours looks so enchanting!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Thank you HotPozzum, Arkteia, JewelFreak, Upgradable, Chrono, minousbijoux, kenny, distracts, and MTG.

When I saw a sample of this setting at the jewelers, I figured that this round, fairly flat sapphire would look great in it. The setting has a closed back, and it is all in 18 kt red gold. This designer calls it "red gold" and I don't know how the exact mix of metals in it. I can tell that it isn't red gold, but I'm not sure it is obviously at a quick glance. The back of the sapphire was uneven, and he checked with me to see if I was o.k. with his decision to keep the bezel even and so one side of the stone comes up a bit above the bezel. You can see that most clearly in his glamour shot, because it is at the front of that picture. It was more important to keep the star centered, and I agreed with his decision.

I think the designer did an amazing job of setting this stone. The star is centered and the color of the sapphire is rich and beautiful. I wore it all day today, and I really can see the star more often than I was expecting. It pops out without a lot of urging. They called it a "perfect summertime treat" on one of their web sites, and I agree. :cheeky:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The sign of a good jeweller is his or her ability to work with the stone to make it look its best. It's great that he took the imperfect cut into stride and still came up with a fabulous end result.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I had a chance to compare my star sapphire recently to a vintage "star sapphire" stone from the 1960s of the same color, but which was not a natural sapphire. The vintage star was sharper than mine and the stone color was completely even, but the star floated around on the top of an opaque stone. My star isn't perfect, but it's pretty sharp, and the sapphire color is a bit uneven (you can see some waves of color across the stone). The best part of my stone is you can see down into it, and the star looks like it is coming from within the sapphire.

Anyhow, I was playing with my ring today, and watching the star roll. I put together some pictures of the star rolling around in the sun.

I really like this ring. I've worn it every day since I picked it up. :love: :cheeky: :love:

rollingstar.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So fun, isn't it? This is why I feel that star cabochons are best in rings. Love your new pics.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful ring. I think there is something special about star sapphires and pink is my favorite.

ChrisA222

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I LOVE this stone..if this stone was more purple and less pink, I'd be all over it! Until I found this forum, I thought all star sapphires were like the linde stones...these little opaque blue things with small, but perfect stars.

I had no idea that the stones could be diferent colors, shapes, sizes and most importantly, that cool translucency shown in this stone. Boy, if you could include the 'perfect" stars of the Linde stones, with the translucency and color of the natural stones, you would probably have one unbelievable (and unbelievably expensive) stone!!

But anyways, this is a beauty!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Thank you omc111, Chrono, LisaRN, Chrisa222, and Cookie. I think that since my sapphire has been set, it is more of a magenta than pink. The vintage Linde star that I was comparing it to had belonged to the grandfather of the woman who was showing it to me. He had worn it in a ring. She had it reset into a pendant for herself that she wore on a very long chain, so she could hold it up and admire the star. What amazed me was the body colors were nearly identical.

I'm quite pleased with how well this ring turned out. When I was looking at Bill Vance's star sapphires, I have to say that this one was not my first choice. He had larger blue ones, but I didn't love the grey tones in the blue. I already own a couple of grey-blue star sapphires that I should just sell because I am quite sure now that they will never be set. I finally picked up this funny little pink one, and when I rolled the star around the stone, I was smitten. The back was uneven and there is a bit of black matrix rock there that I can see at some angles now that the stone is set. It is the setting that really makes this star sapphire sing. It looks amazing set, and I'm glad I sprung for a master jeweler to do the job. He definitely took this stone up a notch.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results