shape
carat
color
clarity

pink sapphire v. pink tourmaline

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
pink sapphire v. pink tourmaline

Which would you prefer and why? (color sought is a light pink, slight orange overtone welcome)

Thanks.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Hmm. To me, they're not interchangeable, so which I'd prefer would depend on how I was intending to use or wear it. What did you have in mind?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Skip both and get a pink spinel.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Oh, that's right. I forgot about spinel (& I'm a spinel lover, too). Perfect. Thanks.

I think I wanted to also compare the qualities of a pink sapphire v. tourmaline. Purpose - for a ring.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sonomacounty said:
Oh, that's right. I forgot about spinel (& I'm a spinel lover, too). Perfect. Thanks.

I think I wanted to also compare the qualities of a pink sapphire v. tourmaline. Purpose - for a ring.

Pink tourmaline
1) Low RI
2) If a hot pink color can be heated and/or nuked. A lab cannot detect this treatment as far as I know
3) Not super durable
4) Comes in larger sizes, so that's a plus, and affordable.
5) Luster is okay.
6) Pretty clean unless it's a hot pink stone

Pink sapphire
1) Almost always treated, diffused or synthesized
2) Comes in small sizes, and can be very expensive in larger sizes, even for heated stones
3) Durable
4) Typically very badly cut, especially if coming from Asia where most of them come from
5) Nice luster
6) Often included

Pink Spinel
1) Untreated as far as I know
2) Reasonably priced in stones less than 3 carats, and even some 4 carat ones can be inexpensive if they have an orange undertone and are not very saturated. Very undervalued right now.
3) Very durable
4) Great luster and sparkle
5) Not badly included

Okay, I'm biased, but if you're looking for an affordable, brilliant, durable light pink stone with an orange undertone, I don't think there's any competition. JMO

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
You go, TL. Wow, thanks.

Yes to this one for sure "Pink sapphire - Typically very badly cut, especially if coming from Asia where most of them come from."

I agree on the pink spinel. You are not biased - you are right.

Big, huge thanks to you, again.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results