shape
carat
color
clarity

Pink Sapphire / Diamond Pendant.. Help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Intern Bob

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

First time poster and I am looking for a bit of advice. I am currently working on purchasing my girlfriend a sapphire / diamond vertical pendant as a gift. This is my first, what I would call major, jewelry purchase for me...

So, I''ll lay out what I am looking for and my situation and graciously accept all responses.

I am currently looking to purchase a three stone pendant with two sapphires sandwiching a diamond. I am looking to spend around $750 up to $1500 and am not looking for the biggest stones, just something nice. Another note, I pretty much have to purchase this gift from a local jeweler in her hometown where her extended family buys gifts. I have talked with them several times and trust them to do good work, but I want to make sure I have my facts straight and get a solid value.

First, what I can expect to get for the amount that I am willing to spend.

Second, I have heard that many sapphires are cut for ct weight not necessarily wow factor, is there anything that I should do to combat this? I guess I would be willing to pay a bit extra for a proper cut.

What size should the sapphires be in relation to the diamond for the right look. I guess I would like the bottom sapphire to be a bit bigger than the diamond in the middle and the first sapphire.

Based on the price range, I know that the diamond will not be huge. Having said that, are color and clarity upgrades worth the extra price, ie is it worth looking for a VS diamond at a good color level, will that bump the price significantly?

I am not in the same town as this jeweler, but will have the opportunity to visit them in a few weeks. How easy is it to pick loose stones and have them set them fairly quickly (within a week), should I expect them to have a decent selection of pink sapphires if they know that is what I am looking for?

What should I be looking for in the two sapphires?

Finally, they have shown me a few pictures of vertical pendants, but not the three stone look I am looking for. Is it relatively easy for the jeweler to accomodate my requests even if they don''t have this specific look in stock?

I know that I have listed a bunch of questions, but help with any/all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Bob

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

gemmy1

Rough_Rock
Date: 7/8/2006 10:31:38 PM
Author:Intern Bob

First, what I can expect to get for the amount that I am willing to spend.

Second, I have heard that many sapphires are cut for ct weight not necessarily wow factor, is there anything that I should do to combat this? I guess I would be willing to pay a bit extra for a proper cut.

What size should the sapphires be in relation to the diamond for the right look. I guess I would like the bottom sapphire to be a bit bigger than the diamond in the middle and the first sapphire.

Based on the price range, I know that the diamond will not be huge. Having said that, are color and clarity upgrades worth the extra price, ie is it worth looking for a VS diamond at a good color level, will that bump the price significantly?

I am not in the same town as this jeweler, but will have the opportunity to visit them in a few weeks. How easy is it to pick loose stones and have them set them fairly quickly (within a week), should I expect them to have a decent selection of pink sapphires if they know that is what I am looking for?

What should I be looking for in the two sapphires?

Finally, they have shown me a few pictures of vertical pendants, but not the three stone look I am looking for. Is it relatively easy for the jeweler to accomodate my requests even if they don''t have this specific look in stock?

I know that I have listed a bunch of questions, but help with any/all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Bob
If you think in terms of spendin around $1000 for the stones, your outer budget should handle the chain, pendant finding and labor.
You are then looking at perhaps a 4mm and 5mm sapphire with a 4.5mm diamond (1/3ct) in between. a well cut G-H Si1 diamond will be fine and will be in the neighborhood of $600 leaving approximately $400 for the sapphires.

It will be important to get well cut sapphires and for them to match. Do not expect the jeweler to have those in stock, but they should be able to get them for you within a week or so. Make sure you emphasize the importance of nice cutting. Regarding color, medium tone stones will work nicely. No need to insist on super saturated top gem, in fact I would prefer them to be a little lighter (but not pale). Gem dealers sometimes refer to "bubbble gum" pink. Not too purple or red. Depending on how the sapphires are priced you might not spend the entire budget.

Regarding the pendant style itself, your jeweler should be able to access casting companies like the ones already suggested here. There are many variations available and they should be able to find one just right for your project. Once you place the order, you should be prepared to give them at least a week. They should not need more than two weeks if they run an efficient operation.

Good luck. It will be a very pretty and interesting piece that your girlfriend will really enjoy wearing.

Intern Bob

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the help and advice. I now have a great idea of what I am looking for, and a decent idea of price.

I wanted to discuss the pricing aspect a bit more if anyone could add any input. When I talked to the jeweler (in Chicago) about a 1/3 ct diamond (Si1 at G or H color) to go with the two sapphires, she said that the price would be around $800 or $900, which seems to be a bit high for what you guys have posted and other things that I have read. Maybe I am wrong?? And that based on a 4 mm sapphire, 4.5 mm diamond as discussed, and another 5 mm sapphire and that matched well, we would definitely be at the $1500 mark. Nothing fancy with the casting or chain.

I realize that this jeweler is a family run, one shop business and that they will do quality work and spend time to make sure that I get what I want, so I do not expect a deep discount rate. I also do not know much about how much time and labor it takes (and or costs).

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks again.

gemmy1

Rough_Rock
I wanted to discuss the pricing aspect a bit more if anyone could add any input. When I talked to the jeweler (in Chicago) about a 1/3 ct diamond (Si1 at G or H color) to go with the two sapphires, she said that the price would be around $800 or $900, which seems to be a bit high for what you guys have posted and other things that I have read. Maybe I am wrong?? And that based on a 4 mm sapphire, 4.5 mm diamond as discussed, and another 5 mm sapphire and that matched well, we would definitely be at the $1500 mark. Nothing fancy with the casting or chain.

I realize that this jeweler is a family run, one shop business and that they will do quality work and spend time to make sure that I get what I want, so I do not expect a deep discount rate. I also do not know much about how much time and labor it takes (and or costs).

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks again.
The price quoted on the diamond is high compared to what you can find online, but it sounds like you will get a high level of service, which is worth something. If they use nice stones and do clean work, then you are getting the piece you want within the budget you have set. Everybody wins!

Intern Bob

Rough_Rock
Julie, you seem especially appalled at that price. What would you say an average price would be if you went into a brick and mortar jeweler and purchased a diamond of this cut and clarity?

I understand that the service the jeweler provides also has value, but how much does labor factor the end purchase price?

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
I think the toughest part of this will be picking out the pink stones.

Pink saphs have rather "very broad" variations in their pricing, based on the origin, saturation, and cutting of the stones. Some saphs also have been subjected to treatments, which also affects the pricing. The type of treatment should be explained to you thoroughly and put in writing on the sales receipt. Heat treatment is to be expected. But a lot of stones,especially saphirres have been heated with beryllium, which may be acceptable in the future, but now is sort of a slight negative type of treatment.

Essentially the pink saphirres should look "good enough to eat". Cutting is paramount to the value of the stones.

Make sure the center of the stone doesn''t have the "see through" appearance, which is common for colored stones. Another attribute is the modifying color of the stones. Pure pink will be the most desireable ( at least by the trade). Good to look carefully at the color to see if there is a secondary color factor, such as grey, brown, or purple/violet. The intensity of the color, and the inclusions are also a factor.

If the liveliness ( loosely termed sparkle ) is important, you might also want to look at natural pink spinels. I''d describe the best color as being "electric pink". Spinels can be ALMOST as sparkly as diamonds when cut properly.

But be aware that most colored stones are not cut well, because they are cut for weight retention, so make sure you tell the jeweler what you expect to see. He should be able to show you a nice selection ofrf stones in varying qualities for you to pick from.

Just some hints to help you,

Rockdoc

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
about 500 for a G/H SI1, AGS ideal, online price.

i doubt your stone comes with a report. maybe 4-450 for stone without report, very fine cut. half of what your jeweler told you.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results