shape
carat
color
clarity

Pink/peach color-shift tourm - What metal for setting?

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all,
I'm a recent convert to Colored Stones (I spend most of my time on the diamond forums) and I'm LOVING these colored beauties! :love: I've had so much fun looking at everyone's pretties, and I feel like I've learned so much from reading other PSers' threads.

I recently purchased my second stone - a pink/peach color-shift tourmaline from BB. What kind of setting might work with this stone? I was thinking rose gold from LOGR, but they've gotten so pricey.... I'd love to hear other suggestions as well!

tourmday.jpg

tourmday2.jpg

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
A couple of low-light pics. Hopefully these show the color-shift accurately. I can't believe how hard it is to capture the tourm's true color(s). And I'd thought diamonds were hard to photograph!

tourm_incandescent.jpg

tourm_incandescent2.jpg

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
I forgot to add specs. Here's what Barry had to say:

2.00cts, 8.0mm round brilliant, Nigerian tourmaline
Shifts from a medium-light pink color in natural and fluorescent light to a peachy color in incandescent light. Cut from a nodule, it is flawless and bright.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally agree and think it would look awesome in yellow gold, but I am by no means a jewelry/setting expert...

Beautiful stone! Barry has such beautiful cutting - congrats.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Given both the beautiful colors that stone puts on, I think yellow gold would look terrific. RG with the pink strikes me as not enough contrast & would bring out the pinky element of its copper incarnation. Seems to me yg would accent both colors well. Very nice stone!

--- Laurie

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
Minous and Laurie,

Hmm, I looove rose gold but I hadn't thought about rose gold being too pink.

1)What do you think about this LOGR setting in yellow gold:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-9mm-ROUND-Cut-62ct-DIAMOND-14K-White-GOLD-PAVE-SEMI-MOUNT-Engagement-RING-7-/250922350996?pt=US_Fine_Rings&hash=item3a6c233994#ht_11494wt_909

2) Or this lan.bo setting.... Is there too much going on in this one?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Round-8-5mm-Solid-14K-YG-Yelow-Gold-0-43CT-Diamond-Engagement-Wedding-Ring-/200816070395?pt=US_Fine_Rings&hash=item2ec1920efb#ht_3571wt_919

I've never had anything set before, so trying to judge settings is new to me!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Fantastic tourmaline! I love the almost irridescent glow in one of those pics - great stone!!!

I like the RG idea! I have a morganite in RG and it is a very warm looking ring and one of my DD's favourites, of all the stuff I have. I did buy from jewelryhoo and the melee was not very good - I have already lost one diamond from it and when I loupe it (only a x10) I can see really unfortunate prong work. I'm only mentioning that as a word of caution. If you can upgrade the diamonds, that may be worth it and confirm that they will very closely inspect and adjust the prongs to properly hold the melee.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most rose gold tends to have a brownish color, and it always makes peachy stones, to me, appear more brown. I would suggest yellow gold in this case. Nice tourm!

tanzelf

Rough_Rock
I would strongly suggest yellow gold for that gorgeous tourmaline. Rose gold would almost make the stone blend in or look washed out. You want the beautiful color to stand out. White would also look good, but I think yellow would look best. Have you considered making it unique by adding another colored stone for accent stones? A suggestion would be green tourmaline because it is often paired with pink tourmaline or like you would see in a watermelon tourmaline. Just a few suggestions for that beautiful stone. I'm sure whatever you choose to do with it will be beautiful.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A white metal will provide too much contrast. A rose gold will be overly strong for the indoor colour. I think yellow gold is best and compliments both the indoor and outdoor colour, much the same way yellow gold is an excellent choice for peachy sapphires.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results