shape
carat
color
clarity

Pics of 8 x 6 ovals set? Oval size, setting question

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Do you have a 8 x 6 mm oval stone that is set? Could you post a picture of how you set it and your ring size?

I have an oval stone that is approximately 8.4 x 6.4 mm. I like ovals, but I am drawn to those that are 9 x 7 mm and over. 9 x 7 mm cushions also look much larger to me. While the small difference in dimensions does not seem like a lot, my eye really notices it. I have a size 4.5 finger, and it looks very small to me.

When I purchased it several years ago, it did not look small, but now it does!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Okay, I think I should expand this to a request for East-West oval settings. I am trying to stay away from halos.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, JoCoJenn for your reply! I wasn't sure I would get any responses because it is such a specific question.

I really like how the stone looks in your setting. It complements the stone, and it looks really "right" on your hand. I get stressed out about setting stones because I feel unsure of how it the finished product will look.

Did you find that that stone looked bigger or smaller after you set it? I am looking at my stone and still thinking it is too small. I guess I have DSS, but for CSs.

S

SparkliesLuver

Preg, I have an E-W set oval stone, and I love the setting. It's a smaller stone, for sure, and my fingers are quite sizable. I'll try to take a picture tonight for you.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1420656354|3813049 said:
Thanks, JoCoJenn for your reply! I wasn't sure I would get any responses because it is such a specific question.

I really like how the stone looks in your setting. It complements the stone, and it looks really "right" on your hand. I get stressed out about setting stones because I feel unsure of how it the finished product will look.

Did you find that that stone looked bigger or smaller after you set it? I am looking at my stone and still thinking it is too small. I guess I have DSS, but for CSs.

I find all stones look smaller before they are set. If that helps. :wavey:

I had an oval but it was closer to 8x7 so I didn't think it would help.

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
Mine is 7.5x6.5 and I think it has decent finger coverage on my size 5 finger, especially with the side stones.

_25845.jpg

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1420656354|3813049 said:

I think mine actually felt the same once it was set. Not helpful, I know, but I think that is due to the contrast of the spinel against the white metal.

I think lighter colored stones set in white metal blend and might visually appear smaller as a result, and vice versa when there is more contrast between the stone & setting.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
SparkliesLuver|1420660708|3813086 said:
Preg, I have an E-W set oval stone, and I love the setting. It's a smaller stone, for sure, and my fingers are quite sizable. I'll try to take a picture tonight for you.
SparkliesLuver, can't wait to see you pic!

Niel, I love fat ovals (7x8). I bet it is yummy.

Ricezo, I love your three stone. Do you know how big the sidestones are (carat and mm diameter)?

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Preg I can't remember the weight but they are 3.5mm sapphires.

I know my stone is slightly rounder than yours but given your finger size is smaller than mine I think the 8x6 will give you plenty of finger coverage, especially with side stones!

S

SparkliesLuver

Please excuse the horribly windowed stone, Preg. It was one of my first rings - from way back in high school - before I knew anything. :oops: I still like the setting although it's clearly way too small size-wise now. Hope this helps somehow!

_25855.jpg

_25856.jpg

_25857.jpg

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Laughing...I wish I had tinier finger specifically so I didn't have to worry about finger coverage. But I wear a size 7.75 - 8 so understand the concern. But I have made stones smaller than yours work. Here are two:

Sunstone E-W Setting

sunstone_1.jpg

Small cheap aqua that I was given in my teens...not a good stone but had sentimental value so I reset so I could wear on my older/aging hands.

aquamarine_ring_1.jpg

aquamrine_with_bracelet__2_.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Ricezo, thanks that's a big help. mm size is more important anyway.

SparkliesLuver, thanks for your pics! I like the color of your stone against your skin. I also LOOOOVE your nails.

Limosun, those are beautiful and blingy. I like the halo alternatives. The sunstone has a great color. Does it have sparklies inside? I don't know what they're called. Hematite? (Already fantasizing about buying a sunstone...stop buying stones Preg!)

Okay, I think I'm convinced that I can do a 3 stone and get okay finger coverage.

S

SparkliesLuver

pregcurious said:
SparkliesLuver, thanks for your pics! I like the color of your stone against your skin. I also LOOOOVE your nails.

Okay, I think I'm convinced that I can do a 3 stone and get okay finger coverage.

Sure thing. Aw, thanks. I'm quite ghostly looking, especially this time of the year! hahaha Why thank you. It's one of my "crazy" polishes...Acinom may be familiar. ;-)

Great!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had one such stone but it is now loose with the setting modified and repurposed for an emerald cut stone. :bigsmile: For more finger coverage without going the halo route, you have several options:
1. 3 stone ring
2. Setting with highly decorative sides (diamonds used to make the decorative pattern such as leaves, X or whatever)
3. Metal illusion setting (metal used to make the decorative pattern much the same way antique settings are done).

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm, I have one to show along the lines of what Chrono is describing...let me go dig up a pic or two.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Chrono. You summed it up perfectly. Wait a sec, have you posted your emerald ring?

I am headed towards your option 2 (with option 1 in the wings). I want diamonds because it's for my red spinel, which is the prized gem of my collection. It is medium dark, so I am avoiding halos/bezels.

All my other stones, going forward, are probably going to be less elaborate as I only need one special RHR in addition to my ER (which is a halo). My other stones also tend to be larger.

Thanks PS for CSSS = CS shrinking syndrome

Thank you, Minou. Can't wait to see you beauties.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
SparkliesLuver|1420681900|3813259 said:
pregcurious said:

Sure thing. Aw, thanks. I'm quite ghostly looking, especially this time of the year! hahaha Why thank you. It's one of my "crazy" polishes...Acinom may be familiar. ;-)

Great!

What color is it? I am rocking black sparkly nails today, but they are all chipped. Have you tried the Miracle Gel Top Coat from Sally Hansen (no UV)? I put it over regular polishes, and it makes a huge difference with chipping. My nails still chip, but much less.

S

SparkliesLuver

pregcurious said:
What color is it? I am rocking black sparkly nails today, but they are all chipped. Have you tried the Miracle Gel Top Coat from Sally Hansen (no UV)? I put it over regular polishes, and it makes a huge difference with chipping. My nails still chip, but much less.

It's (3 coats of) "Rad Red Party Dress" from Lynnderella. :D And I always use Seche Vite top coat with my big glitter polishes - it really helps. Your black sparkly nails sound intriguing. You may just have to post a photo. :naughty: I haven't tried that top coat yet.

http://lynnderella-lynnderella.blogspot.com/

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Example of #2 (with decorative diamonds) but also with a slight antique flair from Lang's.

_25872.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I took a pic just for you and put in my ering set just cause it's PS.

It's not an impressive glitter effect because the glitter is very, very fine. It's Secret Admirer from Sinful Colors, a brand I found at my local Rite Aid. It gives better coverage than other blacks that I've tried (especially Essie's black sparkly color, which you need 3-4 coats to get good coverage). You only need 2 coats of this black, then a top coat to protect.

img_6614.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Same setting as Carmen. Love this butterfly setting, and think the stone is great size-wise. However, the LOGR setting is really thin and I just don't wear it.

bb_garnet_ring_1_10-2-13_0.jpg

bb_garnet_2_10-2-13_preview.jpg

S

SparkliesLuver

pregcurious said:
It's not an impressive glitter effect because the glitter is very, very fine. It's Secret Admirer from Sinful Colors, a brand I found at my local Rite Aid. It gives better coverage than other blacks that I've tried (especially Essie's black sparkly color, which you need 3-4 coats to get good coverage). You only need 2 coats of this black, then a top coat to protect.

I like it, preg. :D There's a place and time for impressive glitter and a time for something more subtle. I'll have to add that to my polish list. Thanks for sharing!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Minou,
I love that LOGR setting design. Is that in yellow gold? I'd take it off your hands anytime. :))

njblinger

Rough_Rock
My oval is around 9x7 set in 18kt wg 0.25 tcw. This stone was my first CS and I'm getting hooked!

blue_zircon.jpg

TrakHack

Rough_Rock
I'm late to the party, but I had my 8.2mm x 6.5mm barion oval from Dana set east/west into a Sholdt semi-bezel. Ring is size 5.75.

20150109_104827.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
carmen1|1420749450|3813655 said:
Sorry this is the only photo I have on my phone here at work, but thought it might help since the setting adds some coverage, but the center stone is roughly 8x6, ring size 7. Please ignore my gnawed cuticles

This is the LOGR setting: http://www.ebay.com/itm/6x8mm-Oval-..._Engagement_Ring_Settings&hash=item565aa9ff36

Thanks, Carmen. My stone looks very similar to this. I like what this setting does for your stone.

Minous, I like yours too. Good to note that I should not do LOGR.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
njblinger|1420817947|3814032 said:
My oval is around 9x7 set in 18kt wg 0.25 tcw. This stone was my first CS and I'm getting hooked!

Thanks njblinger. I have found I really like 9x7s, and in halos...but I can't halo my stone because it is medium dark and am afraid it will look dark in a halo.

Trakhack, that's very helpful. Your ring size is close to mine.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results