shape
carat
color
clarity

Photoshop help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
I don''t have photoshop or know how to use any programs to mock up designs so I was hoping some kind, loving soul could help me out a bit
9.gif
(ok so I''m trying to kiss butt just oh so slightly to get some help) This is related to my other question (the price one) because I want to know what this stone would look like in a simple bezel set pendant. Can anyone help me out please????? I''ll post the stone and then a bezel pendant I really like.

403.jpg

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
This is another slightly odd shaped "round" stone that I like but have more or less ruled out.

262.jpg

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
Ok here is a pic of one of the bezels that I love only its on a bead chain instead of a loop chain. Thanks to anyone and everyone that can help me out here!

612631320.jpg

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You will not be able to buy an off the shelf bezel setting for this stone, it will require that you have it custom designed. Many of the jewelers who do this type of work will be able to do a cad cam rendering for you so that you can see what you will be looking at for the finished product.

Wink

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2006 1:56:49 AM
Author:ilovesparkles
I don't have photoshop or know how to use any programs to mock up designs so I was hoping some kind, loving soul could help me out a bit
9.gif
(ok so I'm trying to kiss butt just oh so slightly to get some help) This is related to my other question (the price one) because I want to know what this stone would look like in a simple bezel set pendant. Can anyone help me out please????? I'll post the stone and then a bezel pendant I really like.
Ok, you got me ils, but because you dedicated this post to kissing more than to explaining what you want
9.gif
there no much details.
Your pendant picture does not look like a simple bezel to me, more like a halo, so i made one for your stone's shape. It turned 35 degree to point down instead of up (you need to clarify this too). Would be nice to know the size of the stone also.

BlueWHaloSomething.jpg

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/18/2006 11:11:31 AM
Author: Pricescope

Date: 4/16/2006 1:56:49 AM
Author:ilovesparkles
I don''t have photoshop or know how to use any programs to mock up designs so I was hoping some kind, loving soul could help me out a bit
9.gif
(ok so I''m trying to kiss butt just oh so slightly to get some help) This is related to my other question (the price one) because I want to know what this stone would look like in a simple bezel set pendant. Can anyone help me out please????? I''ll post the stone and then a bezel pendant I really like.
Ok, you got me ils, but because you dedicated this post to kissing more than to explaining what you want
9.gif
there no much details.
Your pendant picture does not look like a simple bezel to me, more like a halo, so i made one for your stone''s shape. It turned 35 degree to point down instead of up (you need to clarify this too). Would be nice to know the size of the stone also.
Thank you thank you! That rendering is SO gorgeous
30.gif
and way beyond what I can afford. OK so that wasn''t a perfect bezel pic. It is a bezel just the reflection off the diamond kinda looks like a halo. So I have been discussing things with my mom (this is a gift from her for graduation). And it seems we had a miscommunication about the budget. Imagine that happening between mother and daughter
3.gif

So I have to consider a stone I don''t love quite as much
39.gif
But I will try to be as specific as possible so I can get those king loving souls
28.gif
to help me again if possible. The stones info is "Gem 187 - Blue Zircon - 0.99 ct. A nice deeper neon blue from Cambodia. Color 4, Clarity 5" and is 5mm. I would like the stone to be positioned so the points are NSEW. Ok so this square cut really doesnt have points because they are cut off but I think you know what I mean. It should be tilted 45 degrees from the position it is now. I will put up a few pics of other bezels/pendants that I like to give you a better idea of what I am looking for.

18702.jpg

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
Ok here is the bezel set princess by kittycatsmac that I would love to do for this stone. My one question though is for the stone I am looking at, would the fact the the points are cut cause a problem for this? I didn''t think so but I am no expert which is why I am here.
9.gif

bezel princess.jpg

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
If I didn''t do a bezel and instead did a prong setting I would do something like this. Except I don''t like the way the loop that the stone holds onto the chain shows. I want the chain to attach directly to the stone setting like in the bezel set princess above.

nsew princess pendant.jpg

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
Lastly (for now anyways ;P) this is a better view of the round bezel I like. But it seems none of the stones I find in my price range are a simple round shape.

bezel94521.jpg

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
One more thing. You said "Ok, you got me ils". What on earth does ils stand for?????

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
I Love Sparkles, silly.
Do you think 4 tiny trillion diamonds will fit into your budget? I am going to make new photoshop with first bezel your posted as i feel you like it the most.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Actually i think round melee will work too, but it's not necessary to place anything in those corners, i guess "cut outs" will be just fine in a bezel as is.

ILS_DiaBlue.jpg

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/18/2006 7:49:21 PM
Author: riogems
How are you able to do that in photoshop?

That''s amazing.
Thanks Adam, as one alcoholic ones asked "How can you drink so much?" said "Just lots of practice baby..."

ils, last bezel is not square but going around the stone shape.

SimpleSh_Bez.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/18/2006 7:03:30 PM
Author: ilovesparkles

But it seems none of the stones I find in my price range are a simple round shape.
A WG setting for the five-point cut will probably be custom, but it may not be as bad as you think. Here''s what happened to some large aqua trillions custom-setting-wise: LINK

Frames matching the outlines of the stones just under the girdle:

DSCN6325_Assorted.jpg

and claw-like prongs holding stones in place:

DSCN6628_Assorted.jpg

sum total - the settings are quite discrete... and there was no carving, casting or CAD involved, of course.

DSCN6636_Assorted.jpg

IMO, the strategy makes perfect sense if the setting has to accomodate custom cut gems of unusual shape - it doesn''t seem to make a whole lot of difference if the stone has three, five or ten points. And for a smaller stone, it should look even better.

A random idea...

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Given that zircon would really make use of a more airy setting (bright as it is), I would rather have an open one... despite liking bezels quit alot.

I wonder if a 'Diamonds by the yard' style bezel ('girdle setting, called sometimes - not sure if this is common) wouldn't be less difficult than a cast bezel on the five-corner stone.

Wish I had an example of such a thing on a suitable small stone, but don't. Imagine a 'U' shaped strype of metal that is bent to hug the girdle and then welded in a spot where the bale is connected. The result looks like THIS. Not sure how much it is done - most of the examples I know are custom work. These bezels sound like the simplest pendant settings on Earth... but the unusual shape may change that. Top down, there isn't much difference from any other type of bezel seting, but the pavilion of the stone remains in the open.

Leaving the five-cornered blue aside, the square should be no problem to set in a bezel... maybe it would even for a ready made setting (see Adwar's catalog for some - Wink uses them and should have a quick verdict about whether the second stone fits a calibrated mounting, I don't know).

pend5.jpg
.... rather glamorous 'case in point'
5.gif

Not sure if small diamonds could be coaxed next to the tips of the square, but on the chain, there should b not much thouble at all.

My 2c.
38.gif

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
WOW
30.gif
You are the absolute best! Thank you thank you THANK YOU
36.gif
I think you just sold me on buying this stone and forging ahead with my project! The diamond melee really won't fit into my budget but might be an upgrade next year when I graduate again (big sigh). Now though I am second guessing WG for YG since you put my stone into that princess bezel pic. Sigh decisions decisions.

This might be the wrong place to ask but since you are all here anyways...... how easy or difficult would it be to add a halo to the setting next year if I got the princess bezel set this year?

Again I cannot thank you enough for this help it really gives me a much better idea than my sill paint attempts!

Amanda

ETA: ILS, hahaha of course! No one ever used that before.

riogems

Shiny_Rock
If you like that princess bezel - you should add the round melee. Just to give you an estimate on price... let''s say someone would charge you $600/ct - you would need 4 stones -- if you use 1/2 pointers, that would be a 0.02ctw -- which would be $12. If you use 1 pointers, you''d be at $24.

Another option is a beaded halo. I just made some earrings like this - I just took a picture to show you (since I can''t do photoshop magic). I think you need to see the picture to know what I mean by beaded. The gold is beaded in place of where the diamonds would normally go. We did this to reduce the cost on a popular style to reach more customers. This particular one still has 4 small diamonds.

e1-013-wg-ct-1-master-a.jpg

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/18/2006 10:15:37 PM
If you like that princess bezel - you should add the round melee. Just to give you an estimate on price... let''s say someone would charge you $600/ct - you would need 4 stones -- if you use 1/2 pointers, that would be a 0.02ctw -- which would be $12. If you use 1 pointers, you''d be at $24.

Another option is a beaded halo. I just made some earrings like this - I just took a picture to show you (since I can''t do photoshop magic). I think you need to see the picture to know what I mean by beaded. The gold is beaded in place of where the diamonds would normally go. We did this to reduce the cost on a popular style to reach more customers. This particular one still has 4 small diamonds.
OMG I love that beaded halo! Rio I am not sure I found your correct website could you possibly give me the link so I know I am contacting the right people? I know you don''t like the idea of soliciting yourself here on PS and I don''t feel like you are. I am seeking you out! ;-)

Also, PS administrator (is it Leonid? could it be possible I am talking to THE Leonid? THE Leonid is doing photoshop renderings for ME?) If I could ask for one more rendering from you (and your eternally kind and loving soul
13.gif
) to do the square zircon with this beaded halo for me?
9.gif
Then I promise I will be done
27.gif

THANK YOU AGAIN!

riogems

Shiny_Rock
ils - my website: www.riogems.com will not have any of my cool jewelry designs up there yet. Ok.. ok.. I have 3 cool styles up if you search hard enough.. haha (but I''ve got 150 more I''m working on photographing). But I''m working on changing the layout of my site too... and photos. Unfortunately, when I came up with the idea to launch the website, I didn''t realize I would need to create new designs. Almost all of our designs are exclusive to each specific customer we sell. Plus I was afraid the pricepoints were too high for non-bridal jewelry. So I''ve had to basically become a "customer" and design my own styles -- and I decided to use some of that gold beading in places where I would have had some bead-set or pave diamonds. I''ve also thought about white sapphire, what do you think? Anyway, I have a goal to have my first "spring" collection up on the site by May 15th. Please excuse my rambling...

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Coming up
1.gif

Would have a question, Riogems... do you know any jeweler shop online who does schetches in real time (or almost)? Sort of what happened on this thread, bootleg.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
oups... (crooked corners, yiks! way to early for this...).

RoundToSquare.JPG

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/18/2006 11:37:48 PM
Author: valeria101

oups... (crooked corners, yiks! way to early for this...).

Thank you so much!!!!! Don''t worry about the crooked corners! It give me the idea of what it will look like. Decisions decisions. Now I am waivering and am thinking about purchasing the stone this year so I can get the bigger (and better) one and getting the setting next year. Sigh. Maybe I''ll start a poll. Hmmmmm....

OK I am so not writing a case study for class tomorrow. Grrrrr. I am guilty of checking this thread like every 15 minutes. Obsessed? Me? No!

riogems

Shiny_Rock
Ana - I don''t know of any jewelry shop online to do that. I think it''s a great idea though. I just did a few minutes of research, and I''m not sure if there is any online software that can do this...

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/18/2006 11:58:26 PM

I'm not sure if there is any online software that can do this...

Yeah... that's pretty much what I was wondering too - if there is anything specialized. Otherwise, pretty much anything that yields small files would do, as long as the user has a steady hand and instant voice messaging software
5.gif

Haven't used anything fancy to make up posts here (Paint & Ms Photo Editor), but have been trying out a couple of things - Corel (2D, freehand rendering) and something called SketchUp (3D).
38.gif

jetmal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
ooohhh, I"m so glad I am following this thread too, ilovesparkles!!!

Ana, if you remember me, I have the blue zircon( I think thats what it is) ring that I am looking to do something else with. My personal fav out of all these is the one with the halo around it.....

Do you think that would look nice with a trillion sort of shaped stone?
here is a pic of mine again:
Thanks!

DSCN01222.JPG

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/19/2006 8:44:25 AM
Author: jetmal

Do you think that would look nice with a trillion sort of shaped stone?
IMO, diamond frames around trillions don't look bad in earrings .... rings don't look half bad either, so ... would bet that a similardesign would work perfectly for a blue zircon pendant too! Perhaps a 'cousin' of This one - shamelessly photoshopped below
11.gif

bluestr.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results