shape
carat
color
clarity

Peter Torraca new release

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Here's my haul.

A golden grossular pear and a pair of peachy coloured tourmalines. Did anyone else get anything?

Peter Torraca Peach Tourmaline Pears.jpg

Peter Torraca Golden Grossular Garnet Pear.jpg

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I love the demantoid, blue spinel, and Afghani tourmalines! Not getting anything from this drop, though I've been in touch with Peter about custom cutting me an opposed-bar quartz.

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
They are pretty. I don't have any of his stones. I think they are a bit pricey.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
The tourmeline pair will make fantastic earrings. So different. I like the blue spinel too & am looking for one, only a little bit bigger. Sigh.

--- Laurie

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Probably not...in line for something but there are a couple people ahead of me.

You got some nice stuff though!

Laura

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Gailey, your garnet is stunning! I love it. I didn't know Peter Torraca added new gems, thanks for sharing. :))

The blue topaz is interesting, I've never seen a modified asscher like that before. The blue spinel is very pretty and I like the aqua too. That demantoid is amazing! :love:

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Gailey, I really love that golden grossular pear. What size is it?
I look forward to seeing what you do with it.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak said:
The tourmeline pair will make fantastic earrings. So different. I like the blue spinel too & am looking for one, only a little bit bigger. Sigh.

--- Laurie

Thanks JewelFreak. Yes, I think they will. I've got a picture of some inspiration earrings somewhere, I'll find it. I'm a big fan of Peter's blue spinels having bought one previously. I actually got it set just recently with a couple of square old mine cut diamods, courtesey of Uppy.

Peter Torraca Blue Spinel Cushion.jpg

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Largosmom said:
Probably not...in line for something but there are a couple people ahead of me.

You got some nice stuff though!

Laura

Thanks Laura!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Burberrygirl said:
Gailey, your garnet is stunning! I love it. I didn't know Peter Torraca added new gems, thanks for sharing. :))

The blue topaz is interesting, I've never seen a modified asscher like that before. The blue spinel is very pretty and I like the aqua too. That demantoid is amazing! :love:

Thanks BG. I'd love to see the demantoid, I bet it is a real sparkler. In the new year I will be living approximately two and a half hours from Peter. I suspect it could be very damaging to my health!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
VapidLapid said:
Gailey, I really love that golden grossular pear. What size is it?
I look forward to seeing what you do with it.

Thanks Vapid. It's 1.37cts, 5.93 x 8.89 x 4.2mm. Classic pendant I think. I'm not much of a pendant person, but I think I'll make an exception for this. Probably a JKT 18K yellow gold bezel with an Argentium silver outer bezel.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Treenbean said:

I generally like to reply to all comments I get on my threads, but I sort of struggled with how to respond to this one Treebean. Of course you are more than entitled to your opinion. I think at the last count I have around 90 gem suppliers bookmarked. I probably look through them once a month or so. Peter's stones are not the cheapest out there, especially if you are looking at e-bay or other Thai based sellers. But he is far from being expensive - in my opinion.

I buy stones from Peter because a) I love them; b) I trust him implicityly to sell me exactly what he states the stone is; and c) He is a man I like and respect enormously.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
jstarfireb said:
I love the demantoid, blue spinel, and Afghani tourmalines! Not getting anything from this drop, though I've been in touch with Peter about custom cutting me an opposed-bar quartz.

Come to think of it Jstar, I don't think I have ever seen an opposed bar cut from Peter, but funnily enough we were discussing this cut for another stone he is custom cutting for me just this week. It's never been a cut that I have been terribly enthusiastic about when I've looked at photos of them. However, earlier this year, I saw one in person at a trunk show of Stephen Avery's stones. I got to hold it and move it backwards and forwards in my hand. It's a cut that has extraordianry performance. I also understand it's a cut that will help hold or deepen colour. I look forward to seeing your stone.

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Gailey!
I was going to start a thread about his new offerings, and I did buy something !!! :naughty:
He has also cut something for me, just what I wanted, and he did go out of his way
to find the rough and make that happen....

I love Peter's stones, and find him to be an honest, helpful and friendly guy.
I am very happy with what I have gotten from him, and am a very satisfied
repeat customer.

Oh, and you are a very lucky woman to get those Tourmalines and that pear!
WOW !!!!
What nice jewelry those will make!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nothing for me, but boy it's fun looking! I feel like a kid looking thru the toy catalog.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak said:

--- Laurie

Here are my inspiration earrings. When the tourmalines arrive, I will decide what colour I want for the small rounds. I have some 4mm imperial topaz, we'll see.

frenchlarge singlestone 02.jpg

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
ooo~Shiney! said:
Thanks Gailey!
I was going to start a thread about his new offerings, and I did buy something !!! :naughty:

I love Peter's stones, and find him to be an honest, helpful and friendly guy.
I am very happy with what I have gotten from him, and am a very satisfied
repeat customer.

'Fess up Shiney, whatcha get? And don't forget the picture.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
packrat said:
Nothing for me, but boy it's fun looking! I feel like a kid looking thru the toy catalog.

Hey there Packy :wavey:

Can you imagine how I feel knowing I'll get to see his stones in real life soon. No more choosing from photos!!!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Crap..I'd be calling him all the time to see if I could come over to play.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Yes a pendant, I was hoping you were going there. Would it then be with the gold bezel en tremblant in the outer silver bezel?
I remember that spinel when it came out. Oh I was sorry I missed that one. It is just wonderful in your ring with those old diamonds!
Funny, as old as they get (diamonds) they never seem to get stale. I found a half used jar of Fluff® in the cabinet the other day from some ten years ago; that does go stale. Which leaves me no option but to make diamond sandwiches!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
packrat said:
Crap..I'd be calling him all the time to see if I could come over to play.

I'll offer to weed his garden while I'm there, so he can get a feel for how useful it is to have me around sometimes!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
VapidLapid said:
Yes a pendant, I was hoping you were going there. Would it then be with the gold bezel en tremblant in the outer silver bezel?
I remember that spinel when it came out. Oh I was sorry I missed that one. It is just wonderful in your ring with those old diamonds!
Funny, as old as they get (diamonds) they never seem to get stale. I found a half used jar of Fluff® in the cabinet the other day from some ten years ago; that does go stale. Which leaves me no option but to make diamond sandwiches!

Oh that did make me chuckle Vapid. You eat diamond sandwiches and CG has diamonds hanging on her wall in her house. All good fun!

I wasn't sure what you meant when you said en tremblant. I looked it up and I am still not sure how it would work with this little guy. Can you explain what you envisage, I'm intrigued.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
The stone set in the gold bezel hanging from a ring inside the outer silver bezel. The stone the sort of floats in the pendant and moves slightly with every vibration, as though the stone is trembling.
Maybe I'm using the term wrong. It's happened before and I expect it will again.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
VapidLapid said:
The stone set in the gold bezel hanging from a ring inside the outer silver bezel. The stone the sort of floats in the pendant and moves slightly with every vibration, as though the stone is trembling.
Maybe I'm using the term wrong. It's happened before and I expect it will again.

will have to run this by Scott Schreiber, a custom jeweller I met on Facebook and see what he makes of this suggestion. Thanks Vapid. I'll let you know what he says. I know he's made a spinny opal pendant a bit like Crasu's spess.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Gailey said:
jstarfireb said:

Come to think of it Jstar, I don't think I have ever seen an opposed bar cut from Peter, but funnily enough we were discussing this cut for another stone he is custom cutting for me just this week. It's never been a cut that I have been terribly enthusiastic about when I've looked at photos of them. However, earlier this year, I saw one in person at a trunk show of Stephen Avery's stones. I got to hold it and move it backwards and forwards in my hand. It's a cut that has extraordianry performance. I also understand it's a cut that will help hold or deepen colour. I look forward to seeing your stone.

And I can't wait to see yours as well! It was actually MTG's tourmaline that got me hooked on opposed bars, but most of them are so large that they exceed my price range even in inexpensive materials. I actually bought an opposed bar malaya garnet from him a while ago for my mom, but since the stone was sent directly to her, I didn't get to see it in person. Peter did a fantastic job with our first custom cut project together (prasiolite asscher), so I figured I'd ask him about an opposed bar cut too, though I'm waiting until after the smoke clears from some of my more recent purchases. Been on a bit of a spree lately...

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
jstarfireb said:
Gailey said:
jstarfireb said:

And I can't wait to see yours as well! It was actually MTG's tourmaline that got me hooked on opposed bars, but most of them are so large that they exceed my price range even in inexpensive materials. I actually bought an opposed bar malaya garnet from him a while ago for my mom, but since the stone was sent directly to her, I didn't get to see it in person. Peter did a fantastic job with our first custom cut project together (prasiolite asscher), so I figured I'd ask him about an opposed bar cut too, though I'm waiting until after the smoke clears from some of my more recent purchases. Been on a bit of a spree lately...

No sh*t Sherlock, is that ever the understatement where I'm concerned. In addition to today's new stones and the blue spinel ring above, I got a delivery from JKT a month or two earlier, another is on it's way and then there's the damage I've done in the pearl department (nip over to pearls to see what I mean). And in addition to that, I have to major setting projects on the back burner bubbling quietly. I'm not sure if Mr Gailey is going to divorce me or just choke me when he finds out!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I want to see all of your projects Gailey and Jstar! I've been on a big ol' spree too...it's bad. Mr. Freke just about killed me last week... :saint:

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Freke - see page 69 of the Catch-All Thread, about 3/4 of the way down. None of them are done yet. Plus there's the green tourmaline, the tsavorite Gene just cut me that I haven't even seen yet, and the gray/blue color-shift spinel I ordered from Dana on impulse...

I'm a very bad girl. Mr. Jstar (I guess he's Kstar?) just shakes his head and rolls his eyes...

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Gailey said:
Treenbean said:

I generally like to reply to all comments I get on my threads, but I sort of struggled with how to respond to this one Treebean. Of course you are more than entitled to your opinion. I think at the last count I have around 90 gem suppliers bookmarked. I probably look through them once a month or so. Peter's stones are not the cheapest out there, especially if you are looking at e-bay or other Thai based sellers. But he is far from being expensive - in my opinion.

I buy stones from Peter because a) I love them; b) I trust him implicityly to sell me exactly what he states the stone is; and c) He is a man I like and respect enormously.

FWIW, I don't think Peter is any more expensive than most custom cutters around here. My prasiolite was around $150. I think Dan and Barry are cheaper, but they each have different styles.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results