shape
carat
color
clarity

"Permanent" heat treatment question

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am looking at a light blue zircon that is noted to have permanent heat treatment. From what I have read this is done to brown zircon to turn them blue. I also read how heated blue zircons can fade or lose their color over time. Wouldn't that negate the idea of it being permanent treatment? Does the rate of fade/color loss depend on exposure to UV light or other factors? When it's noted to possibly fade over time, is it in a couple years, couple decades, etc?

I would appreciate any expertise or feedback from blue zircon owners sharing their experience. Thanks so much!

PrecisionGem

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I cut a blue zircon for my daughter one time, and she wore it in a tanning booth. The stone turned brown. Slowly after about a week or two it did go back to blue.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! At least it did go back to blue. Was it the same blue or a different tone of blue?

Thanks such for that information. I would panic if that happened though I don't do tanning booths. I wonder if natural sunlight exposure over time would do the same and if it would revert back.

eastjavaman

Shiny_Rock
I thought that is the purpose of tanning booth? to make you brown. Of course lack of oxygen will be the way to make you turn blue. :dance:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is a zircon that is otherwise well cut likely to display a tilt window? It seems to have a higher RI than some other CSs.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JoCoJenn|1433023772|3883091 said:
Is a zircon that is otherwise well cut likely to display a tilt window? It seems to have a higher RI than some other CSs.
All stones WILL show a tilt window. The greater the viewing angle, the more easily seen the tilt window is. A few things will make it less noticeable, but never completely gone:
1. Good cut
2. Darker tone
3. Higher RI

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1433169622|3883681 said:
JoCoJenn|1433023772|3883091 said:
All stones WILL show a tilt window. The greater the viewing angle, the more easily seen the tilt window is. A few things will make it less noticeable, but never completely gone:
1. Good cut
2. Darker tone
3. Higher RI

Thank you for the clarification/explanation and setting me straight. ;-) That does help!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results