shape
carat
color
clarity

Pears for the WF (again)

jbkhere

Brilliant_Rock
Greetings experts! I'm still hunting for that elusive pear. I have found someone with FOUR different stones that I have an interest in. But I thought I'd post them here to get your thoughts too please :mrgreen:
We have a heliodor, a medium dark pink tourmaline, a baby pink tourmaline (may be too small) and a purple cuprian tourmaline. The cuprian looks blue to me in this picture (but maybe that's just me) vendor says it is actually purple. I will post two more pics of it, one where he tried to adjust the color to show as it does IRL.
I definitely have a favorite but may very well purchase them all to see how they perform in the mounting.
So...... what do you think?

heliodor.jpg

baby_pink_tourm.jpg

med_dk_pink_tourm.jpg

cuprian.jpg

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just based on the visual appeal, the medium dark pink tourmaline (#3) is the one I'd pick. I like that shape of pear the best.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think the baby pink tourmaline is going to fit - it looks like a skinny pear compared to the other 3 stones and your setting.

ETA
Are the stones included or just need a bit of cleaning? If not, are you all right with the level of clarity?

jbkhere

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1341853433|3231055 said:
I don't think the baby pink tourmaline is going to fit - it looks like a skinny pear compared to the other 3 stones and your setting.

ETA
Are the stones included or just need a bit of cleaning? If not, are you all right with the level of clarity?

Vendor did tell me that they all have some form of inclusions (though said the helidor is eyeclean) I have definitely learned so far that often times either I don't see the inclusions or its so hard to find them that it doesn't bother me if they are there. There is a liberal return policy so if once I see them the inclusions prove to be too distracting I can always return them.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd go for the tourmaline or, knowing you were looking for something blue way back when, the cuprian. I'd love hand shots of the cuprian in different lighting, and to see if that is some kind of smuuch or dust sitting on it, or if those are inclusions...

jbkhere

Brilliant_Rock
minousbijoux|1341863549|3231128 said:
I'd go for the tourmaline or, knowing you were looking for something blue way back when, the cuprian. I'd love hand shots of the cuprian in different lighting, and to see if that is some kind of smuuch or dust sitting on it, or if those are inclusions...

Vendor says the cuprian is "sleepy due to numerous small colorless inclusions"

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
The cuprian is a beautiful colour and granted the photos are magnified a bajillion times... but those inclusions will not fire off the same sparkle/shine/refraction as the other stones will. If it were me, as much as the colour is gorgeous, the inclusions would bother me too much. I'd hold off for another stone with better clarity or skip this one altogether.

You do have 3 other beautiful options available to you - are you leaning one way over another??

jbkhere

Brilliant_Rock
Enerchi|1341865403|3231154 said:
The cuprian is a beautiful colour and granted the photos are magnified a bajillion times... but those inclusions will not fire off the same sparkle/shine/refraction as the other stones will. If it were me, as much as the colour is gorgeous, the inclusions would bother me too much. I'd hold off for another stone with better clarity or skip this one altogether.

You do have 3 other beautiful options available to you - are you leaning one way over another??

That cuprian color grabbed me hard. :love: But I think I'm going to get it, the medium tourmaline and the heliodor and see if I like the way any of them look in the mounting.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
That sounds like a pretty good plan, provided they all have good return policies! One will definitely stand out over the others, once you pop it into your setting... and I sure hope you post photos of all 3 options, so we can oogle the goods with you! :appl:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, I'm about to tell you my top secret method for testing cuprians. Shhh, lean in close, so no one else hears:

I put it somewhere in very low light, like under a table, in the car at night with just street lights, in the soil of a flower pot filled with flowers. If it glows - if you can see its color in low light conditions, it passes. if it doesn't, its history.

That cuprian does look like it has a lot of inclusions in there - that might make it more glowy or might kill the natural glow that would otherwise be present. The only way to tell is to have it in hand and test it. For me, there would have to something to override the "dust" that it has like significant glow.

jbkhere

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you Enerchi & Minous! I will most certainly post pics!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
At this point, if shipping is reasonable, I'd get all 3 stones to view and play around with. The heliodore could end up prettier, the pink tourmaline might get muddy indoors and the cuprian might end up too sleepy without much sparkle. Seeing them in person will either confirm it one way or the other. I hope at least one will be a good candidate for your setting.

thbmok

Brilliant_Rock
Based on the pictures I like the heliodor! But I have a thing for beryls. :lol:

wordie89

Brilliant_Rock
I like the darker pink with the touch of orange. Nice shape. Have fun!

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Pleased to see you're still on the hunt for the elusive pear and having some success (I've been absent for a while due to "life" :)) . I think it's a good idea to get all three and see how they perform in real life. While we know your preference for blue, it is very included and both the others have good points so we'll wait till you have them in hand. Three that fit! Wow...persistence does pay. So glad you didn't end up with Lisa's and kept looking :)

Crossing my fingers for you.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jeweljunke|1342184902|3233222 said:
All these stones look a little too included except the Heliodor. Here is one that might work. If not, you can return it, and it looks like it might do justice to your setting. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-78CT11X7X...Gemstones_1&hash=item3378157c82#ht_500wt_1180

If I didn't already have my emerald, I might consider it. Here is a photo of it.

_cc8thvwb2k___kgrhqj__lqez_3tgwj4bnm34__z3q___3.jpg

and

_cc8tkzq_mk___kgrhqf__iee0e_ubdhbbnm35tqetg___3.jpg

Oh sorry JJ - may I respectfully disagree? The Emerald is HIGHLY included and opaque looking. The report is also not worth the paper it's written on e.g. nothing about treatment and a guess about origin. It also states that it's an S1 for a type 3 stone! A type 3 stone is one that is typically highly included so S1 doesn't really mean anything at all!

I know that beauty is in the eye of the beholder but an Emerald that looks like this won't perform it will just sit there! I'm sure there are better ones for the money (but as I said, beauty is subjective).

Jeweljunke

Shiny_Rock
Hi LD, I kind of agree with you, but for the price it is probably worth having it in hand to check it out in person for the color and clarity. If she does not like it, she can send it back. If she does, she can send it to a lab. Of course she would have to communicate this with the vendor first. It's hard to see, but it looks like the photo on the evaluation report is better than the photo the seller took. It is SO hard to evaluate a stone from a picture. I have ordered beautiful 'pictures' and have returned them, and I've taken a chance with bad 'pictures' and been happily surprised. So long as a stone is returnable, it is the 'nature of the beast' when it comes to on-line gem shopping. You just never know until you have it in your hand.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with LD on the emerald. To my eye, the stone returns little to no light in the way of dispersion. It is so opaque that it almost looks like chrysophase! I would not take a chance on that one - sorry JJ!

Jeweljunke

Shiny_Rock
:cheeky: No need to apologize to me... we need to find this lady a stone. Keep looking! (Too bad, it was a good size for her ring.)

jbkhere

Brilliant_Rock
Stones got here today. Here are some pics but unfortunately they don't work.
The Helidor fits well but to me it goes too green when not in sunlight. The pink tourmaline is pretty but too big. The cuprian is too big.
Back to the search. a g a i n :nono:

p1160237.jpg

p1160241.jpg

p1160246.jpg

p1160247.jpg

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh... tooo bad....

I like the pink tourmaline colouring on you the best. I think it looks more lively on your skin than the other 2. Best of luck in the continued hunt....!

thbmok

Brilliant_Rock
Oh how disappointing. But at least you now have a better idea of what measurements fit your setting!

I find yellow gemstones to be a really tough color to buy. In my experience they always go a bit green or orange/brown depending on lighting. I have yet to find one that I can live with.

Good luck with your search!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the stones are too big, then your setting needs a stone smaller than 11x7 mm? What is the measurement of the heliodore?

jbkhere

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1342788054|3237135 said:
If the stones are too big, then your setting needs a stone smaller than 11x7 mm? What is the measurement of the heliodore?

The heliodor fit - I just didn't like the green it would get. It was 10 x 7.1
The pink tourm was 10.5 x 8.2
the cuprian was 11.5 x 8.1 and it was REALLY deep - I don't remember what that measurement was tho.....

I've got just a couple of more things I'm going to try. If they don't work - I'm really starting to toy with the idea of just selling the mounting... <sigh> :(sad

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So based on these trials, you should be looking for a stone that measures 10x7 mm?

jbkhere

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1342790435|3237147 said:
So based on these trials, you should be looking for a stone that measures 10x7 mm?

I think I *can* do 10 x 7 . I didn't mind the way the heliodor looked size wise at all. I've had 11mm length stones in the mount and they worked. These were more too fat than long.

jbkhere

Brilliant_Rock
I just want to point out that these all came from Beau-wy. While these stones did not work for me, Beau was an absolute pleasure to work with. I would not hesitate to purchase from him again. I contacted him and asked if he had anything in my size range and he sent me a list to choose from. Even though I'm sad to still have an empty ring, I'm happy to have gained the experience and to work with such a great seller...... :appl:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi JBK :wavey: Any new candidates? What are you thinking about these days? Can you give us an update?

Oh and I second your thoughts on Beau - I have found him to be easy to work with as well.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results