shape
carat
color
clarity

Pear sapphire

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
A few weeks ago, my husband bought me a sapphire from Tan. It's my first stone from Tan; I've been watching for a stone for about a year to buy from him because so many of you have had such good luck. I've attached Tan's pic from the listing first. In the video, which I cannot upload because PS does not allow videos, the stone looked a bit greyer. In really life, it looks in between the two. In some light, it looks more vivid, and in other light, it looks more gray.

I haven't had much time, but here is a quick hand shot that I took with an iPhone. The stone is a little greyer in real life. I'll try to get more accurate shots during the day. I have the best luck with bright, cloudy days, when the light is diffused by the clouds. Overall, I am very happy with the stone, and I would buy from Tan again. I still have to send it to AGL to confirm it is heat only.

ebay_gemcatalogue_1point67.jpg

sapphire_14.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats on the gift. I'd say he picked a nice one. It looks a bit silky? Just like spinels, it is normal for sapphire to shift too, just less strongly than their spinel cousin, so some gray indoors is perfectly normal. I can't wait to see more pictures of your new pear.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Chrono. I sent him a link to the listing and "suggested" it as a gift.

It has a little silk, which was evident on the picture and the video. The amount does not interfere with the overall impression. It makes it very pleasant when I'm outdoors. I think I am going to halo it, with 1.5 or 2 pointers, to make a cluster-like halo. Plain shank, no frills.

My spinel definitely shifts more. I think I'm really starting to understand why sapphires are so prized. The range of colors, combined with the hardness and limited shift in color (for a colored stone) is really great. I still love my spinel though.

Okay, time to look for one my last holy grail stones...emerald. I am such a cliche.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Smart lady! :cheeky: Suggested gifts are the best because you get exactly what you love / want. A touch of silk makes the colour a touch richer and seems to minimize extinction and any unevenness of colouration; I like such stones. A delicate halo will be perfect so more pictures please!

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
that is divine! What a smart hubby :D

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know...most gems shift but spinels seem to shift more easily and frequently. I am sure it is inherent to the material itself and there must be a scientific explanation but I have none to offer.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, corundum_corundum and Davi. Davi, is that a red spinel in your avatar?

The dimensions of this stone are 6 x 8.9 mm. Is this a standard size? Does anyone know of a standard halo that will fit this?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
pregcurious|1381547793|3536217 said:
Thanks, corundum_corundum and Davi. Davi, is that a red spinel in your avatar?

The dimensions of this stone are 6 x 8.9 mm. Is this a standard size? Does anyone know of a standard halo that will fit this?

Yep! Flame spinel from Dana at Mastercutgems :D [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/just-a-little-sumfin-sumfin-i-picked-up.175652/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/just-a-little-sumfin-sumfin-i-picked-up.175652/[/URL]

as for the size -there are stock halos out there in a 6x9 which should work for it. a quick ebay search found this one :D http://www.ebay.com/itm/6x9mm-Pear-14k-White-Gold-Natural-Full-Cut-Diamond-Milgrain-Semi-Mount-Ring-/281182445661?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4177c7a05d#ht_7225wt_1162

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1381546256|3536196 said:
My spinel definitely shifts more. I think I'm really starting to understand why sapphires are so prized. The range of colors, combined with the hardness and limited shift in color (for a colored stone) is really great. I still love my spinel though. .

Oh, I love the shift in blue/violet spinels though, and I get bored with sapphires staying blue. I guess that's just subjective though. Nice stone. I have two sapphires from Tan, and they were as advertised (both have AGL memos) and they were very affordable.

Yigal

Rough_Rock
Beautiful stone, congrats. Love the cut, does not seem to have any windows.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
You'll enjoy wearing that -- very nice! I like the glow of a little sleepiness. Great present!!

Looking forward to photos when you set it.

--- Laurie

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful sapphire. I had admired that stone for awhile but never pulled the trigger because it was pear shaped. I am glad it is a pretty as I hoped it would be. Congrats!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, TL. It was affordable, but I will probably wait a few months to send it to AGL because I like to hand deliver. The shifter I was referring to is my red spinel. In some light conditions (outside, around noon), it can look the way it does in my avatar. At work, it looks like a supersaturated neutral red under whatever kind of fluorescent lights I have in my office. Inside it looks the least vivid.

Thanks Yigal, JewelFreak, and Lisa. I originally preferred a different shape, but then I realized 1) pears are spready, 2) it was my favorite of Tan's sapphires. and 3) I wanted step cut, but I think I would prefer to save that shape for an emerald and aquamarine.

Thank you, Davi!

katharath

Ideal_Rock
That blue is divine...easily one of my favorite shades of blue to see in a gem...so pretty! Congrats on your new sapphire.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous! I have NO luck with Tan's sapphires so I'm pleased this one worked out for you.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Preg: I like the color very much, and appreciate that the silk seems to be preventing that two-toned look that so many pears suffer from. Question for you: do you see much sparkle in it, or is it more of a glowy stone?

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Here are the promised outside shots. The flower shots look a little darker in tone to me than what I see in person. The true color of the stone is somewhere in between the hand shot and the flower shots. As Chrono pointed out, the stone is less gray outdoors. These were taken with an iPhone.

Minous, the stone is not particularly silky or sparkly. In between? The cut is a decent native cut, but a little on the shallow side. No window if I look straight on (see hand shot above), but definitely an easy tilt window. I still need to get to NYC to get this baby tested.

img_1869_crop.jpg

img_1868_crop.jpg

img_2507.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful hand shot!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Chrono. I love this stone. I've been stalking Tan's sapphires for over a year, and I finally got the courage to buy this.

LD, do you think the sapphires look different for you because of the change in latitude? I don't remember where Tan is located.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Weird, the blue color looks so different on my computer screen at work versus at home.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous--I love the color and the slight silk. I can't wait to see it set.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Still the small point halo? I think it will be lovely - I am such a sucker for pear shaped stones in halos!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, everyone.

Minous, I am leaning towards a three stone ring. I think I would ideally like fat tapered baguettes, or thin traps. Most of the settings I see are thin tapered baguettes, and I'm not sure about that. I wish there were a good jewelry store near me, but DC is the closest location, and that takes nearly an hour. VA is even further. I think I need to go to Intergem the next time it is here.

I'm not very confident lately about picking settings, so I take a really long time. Blah.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now I want to see pics! What are thin traps? I just have no imagination, which is why I for one completely get it when you say it will take you a while.

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
I had been watching that sapphire for quite some time. It's more beautiful in your pictures than I would have imagined from Tan's pictures and video. Great find!

Also I love a pear center with pear sides. And the Ritani pear halo setting (plain shank) that Niel had for a while is beautiful and fairly reasonable.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results