shape
carat
color
clarity

Part of my collection ...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gemklctr

Shiny_Rock
I just figured out how to post a photo (I think) so as a long time lurker I thought I would share a portion of my collection. I hope this not too small to see. To tie in to my first posting (in Hangout), the upper right hand corner shows what I, as a guy who does not typically wear diamonds or much jewelry, do with many of my diamonds. (Prior to starting my collection, I turned all of the gems I bought into jewelry for family and SOs.) Clockwise from the upper left corner of the case are topaz, corundum, diamonds, misc. (in the white horizontal oval left-2-right: tanzanite, apatite, iolite, kyanite, sphene, spinels, and 2 rows of zircons at the bottom), quartz (bottom right oval), miisc. (middle bottom: l-r peridot, opals, chysoberyl/alexandrite, andalusite), garnets (bottom left), tourmalines, and beryls in the middle rectangle of the case. Various CZs and other stones are spread throughout.

GKGemcase.jpg

widget

Ideal_Rock
23.gif
Holy Smokes!!!! what a remarkable collection! ....And that''s just a portion???

You simply MUST (please) post closeups of some of your favorite, special stones!!!

widget

PS: Welcome, and congrats for emerging from lurkdom....

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/11/2005 2:25:48 PM
Author: widget

You simply MUST (please) post closeups of some of your favorite, special stones!!!
Yes!

btw, what are the two large cat''s eye rounds ?

Thank you for posting !

Gemklctr

Shiny_Rock
What I still do with other parts of my collection. I had about half of these made up from stones I acquired. The rest were purchased as finished jewelry. They all now belong to my wife, except the Mandarin, which is part of our "investment" portfolio (my excuse for not surrendering sole dominion to her).

GemringsPS.JPG

Gemklctr

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/11/2005 2:28:35 PM
Author: valeria101

Date: 8/11/2005 2:25:48 PM
Author: widget

Yes!

btw, what are the two large cat''s eye rounds ?

Thank you for posting !
Not sure which items you are referring to. The largest cat''s eye is a golden rutilated quartz in the bottom right hand corner. The bluish round near the center is actually a mosaic opal. The reflected light looks like chatoyancy.

I will try to post some close ups later. They are not on this computer.

leggs

Shiny_Rock
OMG!!!! My dreams will never be the same again. Totally GEM WOW!!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Holy moly that is some collection and that''s only part of it??? Lets see the other part!!!!!

Gemklctr

Shiny_Rock
BTW, thanks for the comments. It''s good to finally be meeting all of you (at least virtually). Now, unfortunately, back to work again.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

NO, don''t go back to work
2.gif
........any Imperial Topaz amongst those hunnie bunnies??

cheers--Sharon

Gemklctr

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/11/2005 2:57:58 PM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

NO, don''t go back to work
2.gif
........any Imperial Topaz amongst those hunnie bunnies??

cheers--Sharon
OK, caught me peeking for one more post. 3 Imperial topaz are in the white rectangle in the upper left corner - a pink imperial in the bottom row right, a peach in the bottom row left, and a lighter peach 2nd from the left in the middle row. The remainder are london, swiss and sky blue; green; paraiba; silver/white; golden; and smoky topaz. The emerald cut blue in the upper left has an inlaid cross of small diamonds.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow!!! Your''e wife is one lucky lady! I especially like the matched sets of different colors (garnets, and tourmalines I think?)

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
Lots of fun to see your rocks!

Could we impose on you to take a pic of each group so we can see them up close?

It would be cool for you to group those big bad boys so we could see them together!

Throw in a metric ruler if you have one for perspective.

Love it!

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
That''s an extremely fine collection, and you seem very knowledgeable about gems! Count me as one of those who wants to see close-ups. Your wife is a very lucky lady.

Richard M.

Cave Keeper

Shiny_Rock
Gosh!
20.gif

And gem quality too. Yes, larger pics please. Individual stones, if possible.

In this order of presentation:-

1. Rocks, non-gem stones, Crystals and nuts
2. Bone, Corals, Jades, Opals, Pearls and Ammolites
3. Cat''s Eyes and Stars
4. Amethysts, Citrines and other Quartzes
5. Topazes
6. Garnets
7. Beryls
8. Corundums
9. Diamonds

No need to rush. Please take your time. We really want to look at all of them.

And thanks for sharing
36.gif

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Gemklctr, welcome to Pricescope! I love your colorful collection, they look fabulous and must be really fun to play with. Personally I''d love sorting them by type, then by color, then by size, then by rarity....., holding them up in the light, etc.

Wow, so much you could do to have fun with them. Thanks for sharing & please stick around for the fun.
36.gif

DiaDiva

Brilliant_Rock
GemKlctr, your wife is a lucky woman! My husband can''t understand my fascination with stones and jewellery. Do continue to share your collection with us. It''s great to get more eye candy...

Cave Keeper

Shiny_Rock
Weight, Dimensions, Clarity, Color Hue, Color Darkness, Brilliance Level, if you can.

I think shape and type of cut need not be stated.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
awesome collection indeed.
more pics please!
36.gif

Gemklctr

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the comments and questions regarding my collection. My main attraction to this board is the high degree of interest we share in gems (something I, like apparently many others, haven''t found as much among my non-virtual acqaintances despite the fact that they all like to admire the display when I pull it out of safekeeping) and the impressive level of knowledge and expertise evidenced by the postings. I will be posting more detailed photos of the gem groupings over the next several days and will try to include at least some of the info requested, although a number of the questions are beyond my current level of knowledge, and my photographic skills, particularly with single stones, still leave much to be desired. (I will be experimenting, however.) Hopefully I will get to the first installment a little later today.

PaulaW

Brilliant_Rock
Um, will you adopt me? I don''t take up much space, I''ll clean up after myself, and I''m a heckuva cook!
Seriously, amazing collection. I can''t wait to see the close-ups!

Gemklctr

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/11/2005 6:58:08 PM
Author: Cave Keeper
Gosh!
20.gif

And gem quality too. Yes, larger pics please. Individual stones, if possible.

In this order of presentation:-

1. Rocks, non-gem stones, Crystals and nuts
2. Bone, Corals, Jades, Opals, Pearls and Ammolites
3. Cat''s Eyes and Stars
4. Amethysts, Citrines and other Quartzes
5. Topazes
6. Garnets
7. Beryls
8. Corundums
9. Diamonds

No need to rush. Please take your time. We really want to look at all of them.

And thanks for sharing
36.gif
You''re welcome. Unfortunately, I don''t have much to share with respect to your first 3 categories except for opals. Most of my opaques (turquoise, jade, pearls, etc. are in storage, and I don''t have that many because I only recently started to acquire some). There is a substantial heart-shaped multicolor fluorite in the case as well as an obelisk of the same material. On the left and right are small bottles with gold and silver leaf. The only cat''s eyes are the rutilated quartz in the bottom right and a small alexandrite in the chrysoberyl grouping. There are 2 blue star sapphires (one I believe to be diffusion or similarly treated) and a star ruby in the corundum grouping. I''ll get to your other categories as I find and upload the photos. Thanks again for your interest.

Gemklctr

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/12/2005 9:08:39 AM
Author: PaulaW
Um, will you adopt me? I don''t take up much space, I''ll clean up after myself, and I''m a heckuva cook!
Seriously, amazing collection. I can''t wait to see the close-ups!
You''ll have to stand in line behind many of the women in my office. On the other hand, many of the men would prefer I not show my collection to their wives/SOs, as it can end up being an expensive proposition for them.
2.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Yes, I second Gary''s request for closer pics--of course I am biased toward those Imperial babies.........
1.gif

cheers--Sharon

Gemklctr

Shiny_Rock
OK. One close up and then work beckons. From the very top 2 in the center, then by rows left-2-right:

Oval Amethyst - partially cropped off, approx. 35 cts.
Tourmalinated Quartz (directly below the amethyst)

Left row:

Bi-color smoky quartz/citrine
Golden Rutilated Quartz (just a few well defined needles in a clear fancy cut quartz)
Ametrine
Golden Rutilated Quartz

Middle row:

Fancy Cut Amethyst
Citrine
Dendritic Quartz
Golden Rutilated Quartz Cat''s Eye

Right row:

Ametrine
Copper Rutilated Quartz
Greenish Gold Citrine (they had a name for this many years ago, which I don''t recall)
Rose Quartz

Enjoy. Sorry I don''t have more detailed info about the stones handy.

QuartzPS.jpg

Gemklctr

Shiny_Rock
Oh, and the upper left hand corner shows part of a 100+ ct. smoky quartz.

Gemklctr

Shiny_Rock
Another close up, this time of various gemstones, from the upper left, top 2 rows:

4 tanzanites of various hues

5 apatites- neon, yellow, green and blue

1 iolite trillion (top row)

1 kyanite oval (2nd row)

2 sphenes

circle of spinels

Bottom 2 rows, right-2-left:

1 purplish blue spinel

2 red spinels (one with an orangish overtone)

10 zircons.

TanzetcPS.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results