carat
color
clarity

Paraiba - opinions on this stone

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1471969112|4069042 said:
I was only concerned whether it has been oiled or fracture filled. Given that it isn't, I feel better about it.

I feel better too! I did not want any treatment on the stone.

Minousbijoux, lovinggems, everyone, thanks so much for looking and giving your feedback;. There is so much variation in the price and quality of paraibas that it can be a bit intimidating. Now I am reassured about my choice of stone. I spoke with Leon Mege yesterday, he was very nice and I'm going to make an appointment to bring the stone to his shop in NYC.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah, glad you seem to have a good click with Leon. How special that you can personally take your stone to him instead of shipping! And I was not sure he is setting outside stones and I am glad he does.
Enjoy the proces and please keep us updated.

mmarc77

Rough_Rock
doberman|1472010700|4069321 said:
Chrono|1471969112|4069042 said:
I was only concerned whether it has been oiled or fracture filled. Given that it isn't, I feel better about it.

I feel better too! I did not want any treatment on the stone.

Minousbijoux, lovinggems, everyone, thanks so much for looking and giving your feedback;. There is so much variation in the price and quality of paraibas that it can be a bit intimidating. Now I am reassured about my choice of stone. I spoke with Leon Mege yesterday, he was very nice and I'm going to make an appointment to bring the stone to his shop in NYC.

I completely agree about paraiba shopping being intimidating. It would be great to just be able to look at a large number of gems in hand and pick. I haven't made it to a gem show yet and picking off web photos is a real task and the prices are all over the place.

I am most definitely a novice but I love the way yours looks and prefer that color personally. Congrats on a beautiful paraiba!

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn't realize that it was a possibility that Leon would not set an outside stone. Good thing, or I might not have contacted him! He actually suggested the possibility of yellow diamonds as a halo. I told him that when I brought the stone in he could give me his opinion on what would be best. He said, "Oh, I'm very opinionated" lol. I'm taking it in next Wednesday, I hope it works out.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
At the time I had my faceted Paraiba set, I was told by Perry that Leon did not set outside stones for particular settings (like the french cut setting I chose). But these policies may change overtime...

Anyway, I am glad he will create a masterpiece for you!!! I cannot wait to admire the result! So you will visit him in a few days and discuss design ideas?

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Acinom, I have an appointment this Wednesday. I'm excited, but a bit nervous too. Maybe that's normal?

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Acinom, Leon very specifically will not set stones he does not like :roll:

But instead of just saying no he's known to either give you a ridiculously inflated estimate or some other excuse; I just don't understand why he just doesn't say a simple no!

People have been sending in their stones for him to set for years. :(

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I emailed him the first time to ask if he set outside stones, he did say it depends on the stone. I sent him the GIA # and a pdf of its papers. He sent back an estimate for the Adrianna design that seemed to be in line with what I've heard others pay for designer work. But he may see the stone and not want to set it. I'll prepare myself for that possibility.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
He seems to love working with Paraibas. I am sure he will accept the job. Enjoy the visit!

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We went to see Leon and he couldn't have been more pleasant, showing us tons of beautiful rings. His work is beautiful, such delicate pave. I wound up getting a ring that is actually on his site - a cabochon paraiba with two halos, paraiba and diamond. It was so gorgeous that I fell in love. He was fine with the stone I had and would have set it, but he wasn't thrilled with it. My husband said go for the other ring, he liked it more. They're sizing it to a 7 and it will be ready this week. I'll make a new thread when I get it!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
doberman|1472856759|4072720 said:
We went to see Leon and he couldn't have been more pleasant, showing us tons of beautiful rings. His work is beautiful, such delicate pave. I wound up getting a ring that is actually on his site - a cabochon paraiba with two halos, paraiba and diamond. It was so gorgeous that I fell in love. He was fine with the stone I had and would have set it, but he wasn't thrilled with it. My husband said go for the other ring, he liked it more. They're sizing it to a 7 and it will be ready this week. I'll make a new thread when I get it!

I'm fairly sure I know the ring you're talking about, and it's BEAUTIFUL! Can't wait to see handshots!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay! How exciting for you!!! I am glad it was such a pleasant experience. I think I know the ring you bought and it's amazing. Looking forward to admire your pics.

GLbluegreen

Shiny_Rock
Doberman, I just love the color of your Paraiba. It is even more beautiful in my eyes with the inclusions. It just really pops of that Caribbean hue. I am searching for something of similar color. May I ask who you purchased this from ? I have found very few vendors that have this color and most I have found don't have a lot of inventory.
I would really appreciate your help :razz:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GLbluegreen|1473483162|4074794 said:
Doberman, I just love the color of your Paraiba. It is even more beautiful in my eyes with the inclusions. It just really pops of that Caribbean hue. I am searching for something of similar color. May I ask who you purchased this from ? I have found very few vendors that have this color and most I have found don't have a lot of inventory.
I would really appreciate your help :razz:

I am also curious to hear where Doberman found this beauty!
Have you tried Paraiba International? They mostly have a larger inventory of Paraiba stones and they have a great customer service. Not sure what they have in stock at this moment.

GLbluegreen

Shiny_Rock
Acinom , I check Paraiba Int website frequently and usually see the same selection. They don't change the inventory on their web site often. Do you know if they have more inventory than what we see on their site ? I know many vendors can't possibly list their entire inventory.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GLbluegreen|1473492112|4074803 said:
Acinom , I check Paraiba Int website frequently and usually see the same selection. They don't change the inventory on their web site often. Do you know if they have more inventory than what we see on their site ? I know many vendors can't possibly list their entire inventory.

I would ask Adam if I were you. I can imagine he indeed has more stones than he shows, but that might not be the case for the Paraibas.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, I just saw this. I got the stone from a private seller who specializes in paraibas. This one was a bit more expensive than the others she had because of the color and the origin (Brazil). I've been looking for the right stone for a long time! But I think I'm going to sell this stone to offset the new ring, for which I am still (im)patiently waiting.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ring is here, but it's a bit overcast and I can't get the best photos.

20160913_132423.jpg

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
20160913_133241.jpg
20160913_133644.jpg

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just choked on my coffee! This is so beautiful!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Soooo strikingly lovely doberman!
Awesome choice!

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much! I probably should make a post in SMTB. I don't love the photos I've gotten today, but I can always add some.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG I just said outloud, "THAT RING IS EVERYTHING". My dogs looked at me like I was crazy, but totally worth it because that ring is just so gorgeous. How do you like it?!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my word. :-o :-o

So... can I call dibs? :cheeky: I believe many of us sweated that ring pretty heavily so, yeah, please do make another thread with lots of pics!!!

You could never post enough pictures of it :love: :love: :love: :love:

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you lovedogs, Arcadian, Fisher and elliot86. There's now another thread in SMTB. I will have to take some better shots and post them in the next few days. I just wanted to share right away, guess I'm excited lol.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooh :love: :love: :love:
Your ring is amazing and it looks stunning on you. Both the stone and the setting are gorgeous.
Enjoy wearing your beauty. You have made a great choice.

S

SparkliesLuver

Words simply fall short for this one, doberman. Wow! This is so elegant and tastefully done considering it's not too simple or just one color/metal type. It's a beautiful ring, and I hope you cherish it forever. Wear it in good health! (Aaaaaaaaaaaand now I'll be going to your other thread in hopes of drooling over more pictures... ;-) )

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been lusting after that, on Leon's site, forever. I'm so happy you got it!!!
It's exciting to see your hand shots. It looks great!
I'm officially requesting more pictures. :naughty:

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful, gorgeous, amazing! :love:

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Am I the only one that thinks your old stone had a much more (much much much) more jaw dropping glow??

I love your new ring as a whole but just comparing the paraibas.... I completely prefer the old one for the colour and glow. The black inclusions (I think?) On this one are just to distracting for me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results