shape
carat
color
clarity

Padparadscha lovers and experts needed!

Hi LD - Yes, that's exactly right! It's quite vivid (and glowing) and also shows more pink in artificial lighting. It's more delicate and orangy in natural daylight. I would actually prefer to highlight the orange/peach tones in the stone if possible, as opposed to the pink, which is why I was leaning away from the yellow gold (it was killing the warmth and only pulling out the pink when I put it next to the stone). The rose gold just seems to enhance the overall color more without pulling the pink. The white seems to be washing it out. Of course, this is just how it appears to my eyes when I hold the stone in tweezers against each color of gold. It's not a perfect science to be sure! But I think it's just enough to give me an idea of what to expect when set. Anyway, thanks so much for your help!

Chrono and fussy - I appreciate the input. I've decided on a white shank and rose head 3-stone half carat trillion design. Let's hope I made the right decision! :shock:

~Autumn

Preg and TL - Thanks so much for all the info! That photo of the morganite was very illustrative. But my eyes are not seeing brown in that stone. Of course, that's not to say it isn't there... could just be my eyes (or monitor). I do see a (sizable) darkened and included window in the center, which gives the impression of some brown, but I'm not seeing brown in the actual stone around the unwindowed edges. It actually looks to be a rather pretty soft petal pink to me. But the clarity (especially for a morganite) and cut are a mess! So again, I think that's distorting the color. But if the rose gold is pulling out brown in the morg that I'm missing, I think using a two-tone of the white and rose might help alleviate this problem. 18k rose gold also tends to be a little softer and a little less coppery than 14k (which that ring appears to be). So you have a little warmth from the rose gold through the basket and prongs, but then you also have the contrast of the crisp white metal and diamonds. For me, going all yellow or all rose (especially in a halo-type design) wasn't really something I considered, because I felt it would overpower this particular stone. But I did have a tough time deciding whether I should go all white, two-tone rose/white, or two-tone yellow/white. Again, I can only hope I made the right decision by going two-tone rose/white. When I paired the stone with my 18k yellow pieces, the gold was just too bright and "out warming" the stone, and I didn't want to go with 14k. Even still, the two-tone yellow/white was my second choice...

Well, wish me luck! I'll post pics when she's completed... unless I'm too busy crying and hitting the noggin against a wall repeatedly for not listening to TL (and everyone else who said yellow!).

~Autumn

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You have to do what makes you happiest. I'm really sensitive to brown and I see it (and grey) in almost every stone there is. However, the pink gold might work for you, and that's what you are most attracted to (like the morganite ring), then go for it. :))

Thanks, TL. :) Again, I'm not usually this indecisive or "needy" (lol) when it comes to my jewels! But this one was absolutely stumping me... so I'm glad I got some fresh perspectives. This is why I posted here... the PSers always come through.

Anyway, thanks again hon and have a great night (or morning or whatever)!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results