shape
carat
color
clarity

Padparadscha help

susan_a

Rough_Rock
Im a newbie to the forum, but I have been a long time reader.

I have been searching for a padparadscha sapphire to set in a custom ring for about 6 months and I am really struggling so I thought I would reach out to the PS community to see if anyone can help me find the right stone, and to get some feedback on the two stones my local jewellers have presented me with so far as being 'padparadschas' - I'm not convinced, but I also haven't seen any other padparadscha stones in person before.

I'm looking for:
- 3cts or less
- cushion / oval / emerald cut
- pinkish-orange (I'm not a fan of the brownish or really orange pads)
- heated or unheated (no other treatment)

I am a huge fan of Saracen's and TravelingGal's pads if that provides any guidance as to the colour mix and saturation that I am after.

The added complication is that I am in Australia, so I am not expecting to be able to see US / Canada based stones in person, but our international post is so expensive I have to be reasonably sure before I commit to buying one even if there is a returns policy.

Can anyone help?

_26090.jpg

_26091.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Blech. I sincerely doubt the second one would be considered a padparadscha by any self-respecting lab due to the brown. The first looks to be a pretty stone, but at least in these photos, it looks more like a light tone, lightly saturated pink sapphire more than a true pad. It is also hard to tell if it has a window or whether thats a product of the tilt its on (is it a shallow stone?).

So I would ask you - does it have to be a "real" padparadscha (i.e., have a lab report that specifies such), or is it simply that you want a sapphire in that color family? Have you seen these both in person? If so, did you favor one with respect to color more than the other? We can definitely help you narrow it down based on color, shape, etc., but eventually, you likely would still have to pull the trigger and have it mailed to you - is that okay? Another possibility is to work with someone like Doug Menadue of Bespoke www.bespoke-gems.com,, who may be able to help out with Pala stones and the like.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh and pardon my manners! Welcome! Thank you for coming out of the shadows to post here. :praise:

susan_a

Rough_Rock
Thanks Minousbijoux!

Of the two stones my preference is the lighter pink, but you're right - I have seen it in person, it is a bit shallow and I wasn't able to see orange flashes. But, quite pretty it its own right if I wasn't too fussed on having the mix of pink & orange I probably would have gone with it and just chosen an appropriate setting.

Whilst I want the stone to be certified, I think I'd be happy with an orangish - pink colour descriptor rather than 100% needing it to say padparadscha.

I am definitely happy to buy from overseas, I have been in contact with some of the PS recommended vendors, but unfortunately none of them have any pads at the moment.

I'm happy to go as small as just over 1ct for the right colour as long as it doesn't face up too small.

:)

InToTheMystic

Shiny_Rock
Hi susan_a - there are some lovely options available at Gemfix at the moment. They run the whole gamut of the orange to pink colour range, and there's a good mix of sizes and treatments as well. Do any of these particularly catch your eye in terms of the type of colour you're after?

http://www.gemfix.com/sapphire_pink.html

(Oh and hi to a fellow Aussie as well! There's a few of us bouncing around the CS section at the moment :) )

puppyguts

Shiny_Rock

susan_a

Rough_Rock
I've just looked at Gemfix (photos below), they look to have some interesting stones, have people had good experiences with them?

I'd welcome any thoughts on these stones...

Puppyguts, I actually emailed Gary a few weeks ago and he showed me that stone. I've only just adjusted my weight guidelines to get close to 1ct, but my strong preference is to stay in the 2ct+ range (ie. in the last few hours out of mild desperation!) I might have to reach out to him again, I did think this one was sold though.

_26096.jpg

_26097.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't get attached to Gemfix, as I understand they have a fairly low limit on the value of stones they will send to Australia, unfortunately. Apparently, kangaroos intimidate them. :roll:

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Hi,

try this vendor - he is from Australia. Should be able to find a padparadscha for you.

http://sedagems.com/

And my advice for you - a high price is NOT a sign for high quality!!!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marlow|1421506056|3817996 said:
Hi,

try this vendor - he is from Australia. Should be able to find a padparadscha for you.

http://sedagems.com/

And my advice for you - a high price is NOT a sign for high quality!!!

:appl: :appl: And my advice: its not a padparadscha unless it comes with a lab report from GIA or AGL (or a couple of others) saying such.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
susan_a|1421493097|3817938 said:
I've just looked at Gemfix (photos below), they look to have some interesting stones, have people had good experiences with them?

Puppyguts, I actually emailed Gary a few weeks ago and he showed me that stone. I've only just adjusted my weight guidelines to get close to 1ct, but my strong preference is to stay in the 2ct+ range (ie. in the last few hours out of mild desperation!) I might have to reach out to him again, I did think this one was sold though.

Gemfix won't ship anything over 1k overseas I believe. Besides, those both have a brown modifier.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock

sparkleismyfavcolor

Shiny_Rock
Finewater always seems to have the best ones. The 1.11ct still shows as available on his website, so you may want to double check! =)
There is a pretty 2.05ct one on his site that's reserved darn it, (unless you reserved it :D )

ATG gems has this one, http://www.atggems.com/Photos_Sapphire1.htm

1.40ct Oval Pinkish Orange Sapphire. (Purchased as a Pad) (egaj-11-10) $3,500

You could also try Africa Gems (they are kinda pricey I think) - http://www.africagems.com/orpa.html

Or AJ's Gems - don't have much knowledge/experience working with them - http://www.ajsgem.com/padparadscha-...=sell_price&sort_order=DESC&items_per_page=21

Good luck! =)

atg_pad.jpg

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Take your time and really evaluate the stones - get pictures and video if possible. I looked around a long time before I settled on a pad, but I really wanted unheated/untreated and of good size. The amazing thing about pads is that they photograph so differently depending on the lighting, you'd swear it was a different stone, so seeing them in person is important. I had to return one with fabulous color because it had a glaring window. Remember, there is always another stone, or at least that's what I told myself. You've gotten some good vendor names already.

20141119_142324_resized.jpg

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
The ATG one has no mention of treatment, so do ask them about that and about getting a report if you're interested in it

InToTheMystic

Shiny_Rock
minousbijoux|1421502143|3817969 said:
Don't get attached to Gemfix, as I understand they have a fairly low limit on the value of stones they will send to Australia, unfortunately. Apparently, kangaroos intimidate them. :roll:

Oh I'm so sorry I suggested them! I had no idea :/ Dammit, now I'm going to have to stop looking at their pages in case I fall in love with something inadvertently...

Teknorpi

Rough_Rock
I was in your shoes a couple years ago, here are my observations.

1) make sure you have a return policy on a stone you're looking at. Pads are impossible to photograph, so look at it at home in all light conditions and decide whether you like it. Sunlight, incandescent and LED lighting will all show different colors. Tho should never be brown or purple.

2) any stone classified (and priced) as a pad should come with certification. If it doesn't, insist on having it done. If it says Ceylon, make sure it has an origin report. This is especially true for unheated pads. The seller of the stone I was looking at insisted it was unheated and was shocked to find the report saying it was - don't take their words for it.

3) the selection is tiny and you will have to wait for a while to find the one you want. If you want the exact stone that you have in mind, pick another color.

4) besides the perfectly colored pads, it isn't unusual for a pad to be called pink or pad based on the mood of the gemologist. What I am trying to say is there are pink stones that have an orange hue that aren't certified pads. They can be gorgeous and half the price.

5) flawless pads are gorgeous but also way too expensive, find a stone with flaws that are acceptable to you and in your budget.

6) don't be upset when people tell you how lovely your pink sapphire is. :-p

treasurehunter

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
my friend has a stone I was going to buy it but 3ct padparadchas are expensive.
This is certified by the GRS as PAD heat only no berlyium

1601467_782337405185468_4909582501104535890_n.jpg

treasurehunter

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I am not selling this stone , however I may be able to put doug menadue in contact with my friend if pricescope rules permit.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Treasurehunter, in one of the photos the colour becomes brownish and orangey. What lighting was that taken under? If it's under fluorescent light, I don't recommend it to the OP because she'll probably be seeing it a lot under fluorescent lights indoors. I have a spinel that shifts into a very similar colour in incandescent light. Neat, even if it's not considered a good thing.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to PS :wavey:
Good luck with your search for a nice pad. They are gorgeous stones.
Will you have your stone set in Australia? You could perhaps have it set in the US; in that case Gemfix ships it to a US jeweller. Or perphaps an independent appraiser could appraise the stone for you in the US and then have it shipped to you. I have a one time experience with Gemfix and the photo's seem to be quite accurate.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Susan-a

The first one you posted (the lighter one) appears to have violet undertones. If that's the case, it's highly unlikely to be designated a Padparadscha. Unfortunately what you're looking for is a rare stone (as I'm sure you know) and it will be a case of keeping your eyes open and constantly looking at vendors to see what they have. I see lots that have brown modifiers or ones that are so saturated that I (personally) don't feel they fit the criteria.

Some of those you've been linked to have promise but what you really want to do is get a few on approval because one thing that hasn't been mentioned is that Padparadschas can look very different in lighting conditions and so it's important to see the in real life. I appreciate this can be difficult logistically but it's an expensive purchase and you want to get it right.

treasurehunter

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
The photos were taken in natural sunlight. Its certified by the GRS as Padparadcha, pretty much all coloured gemstones colour shift depending on the light source.
I believe the second light source is office lighting.

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I was talking to Michael at litnon.com and he told me he just got an unheated 2.33 ct orange pink pad in an emerald cut. It is not posted on his website yet and I don't know the cost but he told me it was coming in.

susan_a

Rough_Rock
Wow. The power of PS is amazing! Thank you all for all of your responses.

Please keep them coming, I dont think I ever would have stumbled across this many stones otherwise.

LoverKites - you are right, I am indoors most of the time under office lights, so I am keen to get a nice stone which looks nice under incandescent lighting.

Acinom - absolutely happy to get it set in the US if I can find another recommended jeweller! This is my 'once in a lifetime' stone & ring so I will be doing this the right way without making rash decisions. **Runs off to check the PS recommended jewellers listing** :)

MJO - I have sent an email to Michael, thank you for the heads up.

Sparkleismyfavcolour - that ATG Gems stone is just lovely! I will get in contact with them as well.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Curious about the Litnon stone too. So far, nothing catches my eye as the shifts are clearly brownish, many have cut issues (large windows) and I know that some have shipping restrictions and are therefore out of the running.

kellyb727

Rough_Rock
Please don't get discouraged it took me over a year to find what I was looking for (unheated, with certification, approx. 2 ct range) with an orangey-pink color, but was worth the wait. The right one for you IS out there, don't settle! :mrgreen:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

The bottom stone from GemFix has too much brown to be a pad.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1422241653|3822088 said:
I'd welcome any thoughts on these stones... * * *
The bottom stone from GemFix has too much brown to be a pad.
Just to clarify, lest anyone be thinking that Andrew Guli of GemFix is guilty of misrepresentatation, he does not describe a sapphire as a Padparadscha unless he has a report from AGL or GIA classifying it as such. That stone [his stock #460] isn't held out to be a Pad or even of Pad coloration:
http://www.gemfix.com/sapphire_pink.html

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results