shape
carat
color
clarity

Padparadscha Engagement Ring

anImaru

Rough_Rock
Sadly nothing worth showing from my trip to the diamond district. Went to natural sapphire company's showroom and most of the stones were very light colored. Didn't see anything I liked.

The other vendor who had stones to show me had ones that I liked a bit better but were too dark. When I was unsatisfied he told me that what he had in the color I liked around 3-4 carats would require $100K+. I feel $25K-$30K/carat is very overpriced based on what I am reading, but I haven't seen any stones that I really like either. He also has to ship the stones here from Asia so will probably have to wait a week or so before I can see them.

Just a couple of the better ones although neither are satisfactory. Didn't bother to take pictures of the rest.

$17K from NTSC:

$30K from vendor #2:

20141007_0.jpg

20141007_121343.jpg

20141007_111730.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I agree with you that those are dark. The last one looks quite brown.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
RandG|1412160633|3759713 said:
There are very good NYC based auctions coming up through year-end, as well as the Miami jewelry show. All good places to source something unique like this. Also, both Harry Winston and Tiffany have worked with this gemstone in recent years. Tiffany did a few one-of-a-kind Blue Book pieces which were spectacular. I would contact the personal shoppers at the NYC store for more information. There is a lovely Oscar Heyman ring on 1st dibs as well. The stone is in your desired size/budget and if you don't love how its mounted for an engagement ring, you can reach out to Heymans NYC office or one of their distributors to ask about a new mounting. Shreve Crump, an extremely reputable dealer can also assist, I'm sure. https://www.1stdibs.com/jewelry/rings/cluster-rings/oscar-heyman-padparadscha-sapphire-ring/id-j_110465/

Good luck in your search!

I dislike Shreve Crump and Lowe with a passion. I have experienced absolutely horrible customer service on 2 separate occasions, both involving luxury watches. They size up people and treat you horribly if you do not "look" like you can afford something there.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
I'm sorry your trip to NSC and the other vendor were so disappointing. I'm with Preg in that the last shot looks nothing like a Pad.

When you were at NSC, did you take the stock numbers of the ones we had pointed out (both loose and rings) and see those specifically?

As you're finding out, Padparadscha is a term being very loosely applied, much like Brazil and Burma for origin - (don't stones come from anywhere else anymore?).

The only other thing I can suggest is to email Jeff Davies who is in Thailand and see if he can find something for you. It may take some time but the upside being the majority of his stones are very well cut. and he appears to have good sources. http://jefferydavies.com/

anImaru

Rough_Rock
I did except for one which NSC didn't have in office and had brought the wrong stone in. But judging from the ones I saw it would probably have been disappointing as well.

I am going to start emailing some international vendors and see what they have.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
What a shame!

I think it's a good strategy at this point. Make sure to include the Africagems picture you showed us as the colour you are looking for and meanwhile we'll keep looking.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
anImaru|1412723268|3763934 said:
$30K from vendor #2:

If the photo is accurate, this is horrible. I can find a lot of better things to spend $30K on then some windowed brown gem that looks like a $5 pyrope garnet. Sorry, but this just angers me. :angryfire:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sorry that your trip didn't bear any fruit this time but chin up, you are on the right path by reaching out to other vendors and not limiting yourself to local vendors.

anImaru

Rough_Rock
Can someone help provide an estimate on how much the setting I like would cost to get custom made. I am thinking of a simple platinum band with a half moon on each side of the center stone and with the prongs holding the padparadscha in 18k rose gold. If I am looking at a 3 carat center stone I am guessing the half moons will be around 0.4 carats each. So pretty much this Harry Winston design but with the prongs in rose gold rather than yellow: http://www.pinterest.com/pin/562035228470615625/

Currently one jeweler is quoting me $5K for the hand made band and around $6K for the two half moons.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
TL|1412740648|3764075 said:
anImaru|1412723268|3763934 said:
$30K from vendor #2:

If the photo is accurate, this is horrible. I can find a lot of better things to spend $30K on then some windowed brown gem that looks like a $5 pyrope garnet. Sorry, but this just angers me. :angryfire:

1+ :appl:

Both stones are overpriced! dIrty pink is not padparadscha!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
anImaru|1412820852|3764637 said:
Can someone help provide an estimate on how much the setting I like would cost to get custom made. I am thinking of a simple platinum band with a half moon on each side of the center stone and with the prongs holding the padparadscha in 18k rose gold. If I am looking at a 3 carat center stone I am guessing the half moons will be around 0.4 carats each. So pretty much this Harry Winston design but with the prongs in rose gold rather than yellow: http://www.pinterest.com/pin/562035228470615625/

Currently one jeweler is quoting me $5K for the hand made band and around $6K for the two half moons.

$5K just for the hand forged setting (sans stones) sounds too high, as is $6K for two 0.4 ct half moons. I think it should be closer to $3K for the setting and $3K for the diamonds.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
anImaru|1412820852|3764637 said:

You could contact Victor Canera (http://www.victorcanera.com/) on the West Coast. For the East Coast, Steven Kirsch (www.stevenkirsch.com) and Diamonds by Lauren's "Uber" line are hand forged (diamondsbylauren.com).

For a standard 3 stone, I think CAD/cast is a good option (more $ towards the stones!). ERD does a very good job (http://www.brilliantlyengaged.com/), and I have had a good experience with them on a halo. They also do hand forged.

anImaru

Rough_Rock
Okay now I have a point of reference when talking to the vendors. All but two (wildfish and a local one) started talking about the setting when I first spoke to them. I had hoped they would find a stone I liked first...

I have also heard back about a few more stones. Wanted to hear your thoughts before requesting more info on them. All prices are for the stone only.

4.41 carat heated, $35K

3.06 carat unheated, $32K
Seller says it does appear to have window from what she can tell in the ring

_23067.jpg

_23069.jpg

_23068.jpg

anImaru

Rough_Rock
And two more stones:

5.22 carat heated, $43K

3 carat unheated, $60K (stone only)

3_carats_pad_no_0.jpg

Attachments

• 5.pdf
    23.4 KB · Views: 52
  • _81.pdf
    23.3 KB · Views: 37

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This one wouldn't be so bad if it didn't have an enormous window. Can you get a better picture of it on the vendor's hand, where the table is facing up directly at the lens. It's hard to see if that's just a huge tilt window or a regular window. You also need pics of it in artificial light and sunlight I would want an origin report on it from a very highly reputable lab stating Sri Lankan. Those sell at a premium.

_23067.jpg

Crappy photo though.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

anImaru

Rough_Rock
I love the color of that africagems one as well but I really want to stay around 3 carats. I think minimum will be 2.5. Would rather increase budget than go smaller than that.

I will try and obtain more pictures from the seller of the other stone.

Also I have managed to track down the Wise gem I linked to earlier. Think it might be the best option so far. Going to find some time to go see it in person.

1970.jpg

_23049.jpg

pad_ring_on_amy_sm.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
The RWWise, Pala and Africa Gems pads have decent color. The Africa Gems stone looks slightly crooked to me.

The other stones have huge windows. There is no way I would spent that much money for such a badly cut stone. It would make me angry to see such a huge window when there are better cut stones out there and available.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
pregcurious|1412910922|3765207 said:
The RWWise, Pala and Africa Gems pads have decent color. The Africa Gems stone looks slightly crooked to me.

The other stones have huge windows. There is no way I would spent that much money for such a badly cut stone. It would make me angry to see such a huge window when there are better cut stones out there and available.
Totally agree with this. Preg you're right in that the Africagems pad appears to be rounder on the left than the right.

anImaru
it is important to determine the size you want in mm rather than carats. This is because sapphires face up smaller than say, diamonds of the same weight. In addition, you may find a 3.5ct stone where all the weight is in the belly and not the face up size. Weight is basically irrelevant.

The RWWise stone does appear to be very nice and I hope it works out for you.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's true that the AfricaGems padparadscha doesn't have a perfectly symmetrical outline but with that colour and the the fact that it is untreated, I'm not going to complain much about it. :cheeky:

I also agree that the OP should shop by mm measurement rather than carat weight because some stones are cut so deeply that a 3 carat stone can sometimes face up (or look like from the top view) as small as a 2 carat stone.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
anImaru|1412902925|3765150 said:
I love the color of that africagems one as well but I really want to stay around 3 carats. I think minimum will be 2.5. Would rather increase budget than go smaller than that.

I will try and obtain more pictures from the seller of the other stone.

Also I have managed to track down the Wise gem I linked to earlier. Think it might be the best option so far. Going to find some time to go see it in person.

I would take it out of that setting. It doesn't do much for the stone, and makes it more brownish, especially in this photo.

pad_ring_on_amy_sm.jpg

It should be evaluated loose. The gallery is way too heavy, and you might not be able to see the depth. For the kind of money you're spending, you should insist on an AGL prestige report with origin for any gem, and just know there's a fine line between orangy pink and a peachy color, which is more brown. You don't want a brown padparadscha.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just for fun, I wanted to post this picture, so you would know what a fine stone looks like. You have a huge budget, and this will give you an idea.

a1b2e04fa0c352790b403ff1deed5810_1_.jpg

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
I actually posted that one from StarRuby back on page 1. It also has a GRS lab report.

There is a video on the website and here is a photo plus a snap from the video - they seem to match pretty well so that's encouraging.

It says eye clean but it looks to me as though it has a couple of carbon spots - I'd query those. I'm not worried about the ones on the back but there appears to be one to the right of the table on the video (which may have been photo shopped in the still because you can juuuust see it in my video snap below).

video-snap.png

starruby-pad-3.png

S

SparkliesLuver

Sorry, Starzin. I missed that. :oops: Didn't mean to duplicate.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
No problem, it may have been overlooked in the huge post I made! LOL.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Starzin|1412920097|3765254 said:
it is important to determine the size you want in mm rather than carats. This is because sapphires face up smaller than say, diamonds of the same weight. In addition, you may find a 3.5ct stone where all the weight is in the belly and not the face up size. Weight is basically irrelevant. The RWWise stone does appear to be very nice and I hope it works out for you.

Starzin,
Your post stuck with me (and I know that I know this but somehow it didn't occur to me to check) so I compared the AfricaGems and Richard Wise stones and found them to face up almost the same size. When rounded up/down, the RW 3 ct padpardscha faces up like a 2 carat stone.
RW = 3.09 ct = 8.11 x 6.18 x 6.59 mm (slightly over 90% depth)
AG = 1.75 ct = 8.17 x 5.67 x 4.41 mm (close to 65% depth)

That said, because nice looking padparaschas are rare as hen's teeth, I would not hold this against the stone. My point is to be aware of such things and understand the trade-offs (paying for carat weight you cannot see).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results