shape
carat
color
clarity

OY... I think I'm doing this backwards

KarenFe

Rough_Rock
I saw a sweet little ring in a local store. It's a square shaped ring and the stone is a peridot. I don't see much mention of peridot here and I imagine it's because they are a 6.5 - 7 on the moh's scale. At least, that's my guess.

Based on information I've read here, I found this setting that looks similar to what I saw - square, simple with a little flash, and little diamonds going down the band part of the ring.
http://cgi.ebay.com/DIAMOND-14K-WHITE-GOLD-SEMI-MOUNT-RING-CUSHION-8MM-/260751520872?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb6007468

*If* I were to eventually get the setting (and I'm too new at this to consider such a thing right now), then that would mean I would need, I believe, an 8mm cushion stone.

Limiting myself to an 8mm cushion seems to be making a stone hard to find. That and I think I want a green stone.

Am I going about this backwards?

Thanks!

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
You know, I bought this setting and my 8.25 by 8.35 mm cushion did not fit in it (setting too big). I don't know if there was something wrong with the mold or LOGR flat out sent me the wrong size but I ended up returning it (they were very nice about the return - but they insisted it was really 8mm by 8mm).

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
KarenFe|1300581416|2875519 said:
I saw a sweet little ring in a local store. It's a square shaped ring and the stone is a peridot. I don't see much mention of peridot here and I imagine it's because they are a 6.5 - 7 on the moh's scale. At least, that's my guess.

Based on information I've read here, I found this setting that looks similar to what I saw - square, simple with a little flash, and little diamonds going down the band part of the ring.
http://cgi.ebay.com/DIAMOND-14K-WHITE-GOLD-SEMI-MOUNT-RING-CUSHION-8MM-/260751520872?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb6007468

*If* I were to eventually get the setting (and I'm too new at this to consider such a thing right now), then that would mean I would need, I believe, an 8mm cushion stone.

Limiting myself to an 8mm cushion seems to be making a stone hard to find. That and I think I want a green stone.

Am I going about this backwards?

Thanks!

Peridot is a soft gem at 6.5 on the Moh's scale of hardness. Although some people love them, you won't see many peridot rings on this site because I do believe that people are probably concerned about their softness for a ring stone. They also have a low RI, and look somewhat glassy in appearance, which is also a turn off for some, not all.

Other green stones that are harder are tsavorite (pale yellowish green tsavorite looks similar to peridot), some green tourmaline, and there are probably others, but I can't think of them right now. Finding the right size white diamond is usually easy, but in the world of colored gems, it's a bit more difficult. You can find calibrated pieces of inexpensive poorly colored peridot in specific shapes on some sites. However, if you want fine color, it does often limit your search if you look for a gem with that specific size and shape.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've got peridot rings but dont wear them often. Yes, you are doing it backwards. Look for the stone first. You don't often see Peridots in cushion cuts so it could be a long wait. :(sad

KarenFe

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replies. I can see it would be a mistake to buy a setting first. It just looks so pretty though........

I've looked for tsavorite on some of the sites mentioned here, but it's hard to really know what I'm looking at. When one does catch my fancy, it's usually "sold." But I'm not ready to buy yet anyway.

Stone comes first and that makes perfect sense. I have noticed that there is an International Gem and Jewelry show near me in May. Are shows like this a good place to look at and possibly buy a stone?

Thanks!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
KarenFe|1300630396|2875708 said:
Stone comes first and that makes perfect sense. I have noticed that there is an International Gem and Jewelry show near me in May. Are shows like this a good place to look at and possibly buy a stone?

Thanks!

If you don't care about undisclosed treatment, then yes. That being said, if you are looking at tsavorites and peridots, they are not treated gems to my knowledge, so you should be okay. I also find the International Gem and Jewelry Show to be high priced for some vendors, so shop around. Stay away from Chinese peridot if you want good material.

I forgot to mention emerald as a green stone, but good ones are pretty cost prohibitive, and you really need to know what you're doing to buy one, as many have different levels and types of clarity enhancement.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i think despite being a mere 6.5 moh, peridot is under appreciated. with the right setting and care it can be worn frequently....i've seen an excellent peridot after years of wear that still looked fine. but it was an exceptional peridot in the first place and the 18k gold setting was an artistic inspiration.

i think we get all hung up on the moh thing. i've got many jasper rings that are set with cabs with a much lower moh and they're just fine. granted i don't wear them 24/7....but the are HUGE and i am rough on things.

fine peridot can rival tsavorite for a lot less $. not often one sees such a piece but they are out there.

MoZo

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Even the finest peridots I've ever seen have a slight yellowish component to their green. The finest tsavorites have a bluish component to the green. Therefore, depending on what you like, yellowish green or bluish green, I think that's where some people need to decide which stone is for them if they are looking at both, and strictly at color.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
as its been said, find your stone first, then look for the setting. I have plenty of times did it the other way (man o man that trigger finger of MINE! :shock: :wacko: )

The only cushion cut peridot I've seen are usually custom cut. Cellantini has one which was custom cut. Very gorgeous stone. :lickout: I believe that Laurenthepartier has one too. I forget if its round or cushion, I just know its custom.

So if you wanted peridot, custom may be the way for you to go.

Peridot can look kind of glassy, waxy, oily (take your pick) and some really aren't fond of them. Chinese peridot can be quite yellow. I don't dig them. Burmese, Pakastani periot...whoosa! Love the stuff!! My biggest peridot is Pakastan material at 6.05ct. I'm always on the hunt for the perfect burmese stone as they really shimmer at larger sizes.

Also, can't forget the American stuff from San Carlos either. (here's some good info about san carlos peridot http://minerals.usgs.gov/minerals/pubs/commodity/gemstones/sp14-95/peridot.html )

in 2008 I went to a gem show and asked about emeralds, the vendor told me they were all filled with Opticon. He also called it a standard treatment. At the time I knew that many emeralds are oiled but I wasn't so sure about the Opticon, so I did some reading.

Pretty good info about it right here http://www.ruby-sapphire.com/catfights.htm

Here's some buying info on tsavorites, should you decide to go that route:
http://www.palagems.com/tsavorite_bancroft.htm#buying_guide

I will sometimes buy the setting first if I'm getting a really great deal and worry about the stone later. (yes I know, I shouldn't do it but well....)

Hopefully some of this info helps!

-A

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
KarenFe|1300630396|2875708 said:
Thanks for the replies. I can see it would be a mistake to buy a setting first. It just looks so pretty
In your case, you'd probably be better off buying the setting first. The reason is that cushions are measured across the sides, which is the shortest distance across the stone, BUT the are held across the corners, which is the longest distance. Now cushions can have sharp corners or very large radius rounded corners and this makes the actual distance from corner to corner quite variable. If you're going to get a cushion and a stone from separate vendors then you need to match that critical corner to corner distance as well as possible. By having the setting in hand you can measure t he corner to corner distance and them buy a stone that fits that requirement. If the stone's a little big, that's fine, as it's usually easier to trim the corners on a stone to fit the setting, than find a setting with the correct dimensions to fit a specific stone.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Stone first then setting for definite.

I have a couple of issues with peridot... I'm an August baby so I've been given a few over the years.

First, I'm not at all hard on my jewellery and I've managed to knock a huge chunk off a peridot that was set in a pendant. Secondly, I have seen the results of exposing a peridot to household cleaner for 20 seconds and it was not a pretty sight!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
as in all things, there is peridot and then there is Peridot and then there is PERIDOT.

http://www.burmarubies.com/Peridot22.html

for my $, fine peridot v. so-so tsav wins any day........and i've seen a lot of so-so tsav both online and in person.

MoZo

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's one that may fit your parameters, though its definitely not the color MoZo is referring to. Also, HKK indicated some issues with that setting. This gem seller is very responsive to inquiries, so you may want to email her and ask about the stone. It does look like there may be a window (her photos are hard to tell that's why I typically email her with all my questions).

http://cgi.ebay.com/4-15CT-8-5mm-PRINCESS-CUT-LIME-GREEN-BURMESE-PERIDOT-/380325646037?pt=Loose_Gemstones_1&hash=item588d2cced5#ht_2255wt_1141

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Karen if you go for the stone that Minous has found then you need to ask LOGP to customise your setting. From experience, that setting comes up small. I've got a cushion shaped Sphene in mine and the stone sits very high. From a protection point of view it's pants!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here is a pic that Barry took. The tsavorite is on the left, the peridot on the right. The tsav photographs poorly-it is a pure blue-ish medium green in real life. Being that Barry is in Arizona, it is possible that the peridot is from Arizona. I really have no idea!

MVC-002S.JPG

KarenFe

Rough_Rock
Everyone is very helpful! Every bit of advice and links and opinions have been noted. I feel like I should be in the wading pool but instead find myself in the ocean. :tongue:

I'm reconsidering the peridot because, while I love the color, I think I want something harder. I plan on wearing any ring I eventually might have and do not want to ruin it. I need to start safe.

Thanks so much for all the comments!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results