shape
carat
color
clarity

Oregon sunstone has arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
I love this stone!

12.00mm X 7.30mm
4.34 ct. Oregon (schiller) Sunstone
Cut by Dan Stair--scissor topped emerald cut. Nice job Dan! The orientation of the schiller is lovely.

I've been wanting a schiller sunstone for awhile. I love inclusions in colored gems, and this has got to be one of the loveliest--mmmm copper platelets!

I'm going to set it in a ring. East/West and rose gold. Don't know who's going to set it yet, as it has to be handled carefully. 6-6.5 mohs and 2 directions of cleavage!

sunstone4.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Awesome!!! Love stones like that with lots going on in different lights and angles. Wonderful color as well! Thanks for the pics!
36.gif

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I love the color Coatie! It will look fabulous.
30.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi there Miss Coati!!!!
35.gif
I LOVE THE COLOR DROOL DROOL
3.gif
30.gif
3.gif
3.gif
30.gif

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Miz Coati:

Can you explain some more about this stone? I've never heard of it! It's really kool!

Assuming Oregon is the mine location?

"Cut by Dan Stair--scissor topped emerald cut. Nice job Dan! The orientation of the schiller is lovely.
I've been wanting a schiller sunstone for awhile. I love inclusions in colored gems, and this has got to be one of the loveliest--mmmm copper platelets! " Whatsa schiller? And what are copper platelets?

YOU BE THE TEACHER: I'LL BE THE STUDENT!

thanks!

LS

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Skippy and Kelli!

Miz LS,(thanks!)info for you...

Schiller is copper platelets(tiny flat copper particles)that are found in some copper bearing gemstones. I have seen photos of copper bearing tourmaline that also has these platelets suspended within the stone.

Oregon sunstone is a plagioclase feldspar. It is the aventurescent variety of labradorite feldspar. Aventurescence is a type of phenomenon found in some gemstones--a glittery effect from the reflections of certain minerals within the gem.

So, that is actual copper within my stone. You can see the individual platelets through the loupe and actually with the naked eye. I love the effect--I think it's one of the coolest inclusions!

Not all Oregon sunstone is aventurescent and many prefer the type that is darker in color (orangeish red) and inclusion free. I like this stone, because the body color is peach and independent of the schiller. Many sunstones have schiller but no color. For me, this stone is the best of both worlds--I love both the body color and the schiller.

Coats

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Ooooh .... Awwwww. Wow, Coati, that is a lovely stone!
I cannot wait to see how it turns out once set. It is going to be stunning.
Love your ideas so far ... Hurry up and get it set already - I''m dying here!

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Spark! Long time no see!
35.gif
How are you, friend?

I''ve been emailing folks for quotes on different rose gold custom settings. I don''t know exactly how I want it to look, but I want it to be substantial--maybe a thicker shank?

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/18/2008 10:54:24 PM
Author: coatimundi
Thanks Spark! Long time no see!
35.gif
How are you, friend?

I''ve been emailing folks for quotes on different rose gold custom settings. I don''t know exactly how I want it to look, but I want it to be substantial--maybe a thicker shank?
Hi
35.gif

Long time no see, indeed! I''m great - thanks! Wedding planning is coming along nicely AND I just recently confirmed that I passed my GIA Diamond Essentials course. Woohoo!

How are you? How are your GIA GG courses coming along? You definitely starting to sound like a real pro, lady!
2.gif
Something is sinking in!
34.gif

With regards to you setting ... one word.... YUM! Substantial sounds perfect. I know that Simon G works with rose gold quite a bit and from what I saw so does Maytal Hannah. Not sure if that helps you at all but no harm in sharing.

Good luck and I have no doubt that whatever you decide on is going to be gorgeous.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations on passing your course, Spark!
36.gif

I bet you had a tons of fun with it!

I love the colored stones course. I graduate in November--just around the corner. We''re basically in lab every day with the gem identification. The diamonds portion was fun-we finished that awhile back. Our requirement for colored stones is to identify 1700 gems--I''m at 950--only 750 more to go.
41.gif
haHA!

I''m glad your wedding planning is going smoothly! Have you chosen a dress? I don''t often visit the Brides forum--do you post there? I want to see your dress!
27.gif
and I maintain my vote for your something blue--heh-heh.

Have you chosen a wedding band?

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Wow! It looks like it''s full of glitter. That''s one awesome stone!

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/19/2008 12:16:25 AM
Congratulations on passing your course, Spark!
36.gif

I bet you had a tons of fun with it!

I love the colored stones course. I graduate in November--just around the corner. We''re basically in lab every day with the gem identification. The diamonds portion was fun-we finished that awhile back. Our requirement for colored stones is to identify 1700 gems--I''m at 950--only 750 more to go.
41.gif
haHA!

I''m glad your wedding planning is going smoothly! Have you chosen a dress? I don''t often visit the Brides forum--do you post there? I want to see your dress!
27.gif
and I maintain my vote for your something blue--heh-heh.

Have you chosen a wedding band?
Thank you! Wow - The Colored Stones course sounds difficult. It sounds like so much fun though ... You''ll get through those next 750 like nothing. I''m so jealous. I was registered in the Diamond grading lab to be held at the end of this month but I had to cancel because I have been laid off.
39.gif
I was so disapointed but I hope that I will be able to take it at a later date. Life!
20.gif

I haven''t yet chosen a dress. Basically everything but. I plan to do that around Dec/Jan or so. I do have an idea about my wedding band ... I''m SO excited about it. It will be approx 1 ct thin eternity band with milgraining and there will be some yellow diamond melee around the edges to go with the yellow gold on my rings. Sounds foul, maybe but it should look delicious! We have selected fi''s band though. He loves it and so do I. I will post pics once we actually place the order. This is all so much fun!!!

Something blue, huh?
11.gif
I vote that Monkey Pie needs to get it.
27.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dan is the man.

Lovely stone!!!Looks all coppery and perfect for Fall!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Nice!

I have been eyeing up a few over at Art Cut Gems - but they would break my ''only allowed to buy garnets at the moment'' promise.
15.gif

The schiller is fabulous on that piece - look forward to seeing how you set it!

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
BE STILL MY HEART.....I''VE BEEN WANTING A STONE LIKE THAT AND YOU''VE CAPTURED IT PERFECTLY....YAY COATI!!!
30.gif

Lori

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
My goodness Coati, your sunstone is amazing!!! I can''t wait to see it set and I so love the way the tiny coppyer platelets dance across the stone!
36.gif

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/19/2008 12:17:35 AM
Author: MonkeyPie
Wow! It looks like it''s full of glitter. That''s one awesome stone!
I second that sentiment! It''s really, really cool!

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/19/2008 7:23:42 AM
Author: Pandora II
Nice!

I have been eyeing up a few over at Art Cut Gems - but they would break my 'only allowed to buy garnets at the moment' promise.
15.gif

The schiller is fabulous on that piece - look forward to seeing how you set it!

Thanks Pandora! I'm so excited to set this one.

re garnets--I've been trying to find my ideal Malaya hue--it's been tough. I think my next will be a golden yellow grossular. mmmm garnet joy!

Thanks for the nice comments ladies!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
COATI, it''s awesome!!!!!!!

I just made my very first Dan purchase today! Can''t wait to see them in person!

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/19/2008 12:53:29 AM
Author: Sparkalicious

Thank you! Wow - The Colored Stones course sounds difficult. It sounds like so much fun though ... You''ll get through those next 750 like nothing. I''m so jealous. I was registered in the Diamond grading lab to be held at the end of this month but I had to cancel because I have been laid off.
39.gif
I was so disapointed but I hope that I will be able to take it at a later date. Life!
20.gif

I haven''t yet chosen a dress. Basically everything but. I plan to do that around Dec/Jan or so. I do have an idea about my wedding band ... I''m SO excited about it. It will be approx 1 ct thin eternity band with milgraining and there will be some yellow diamond melee around the edges to go with the yellow gold on my rings. Sounds foul, maybe but it should look delicious! We have selected fi''s band though. He loves it and so do I. I will post pics once we actually place the order. This is all so much fun!!!

Something blue, huh?
11.gif
I vote that Monkey Pie needs to get it.
27.gif

Oh Spark-I''m so sorry you were laid off! I hope you get into the grading lab soon.
I''m so excited to see your wedding band when it''s finished. I''d love to see your FI''s band too! ...and when you do choose a dress--I''d love to see!

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/19/2008 6:56:56 PM
Author: LaurenThePartier
COATI, it's awesome!!!!!!!

I just made my very first Dan purchase today! Can't wait to see them in person!

oooo Lauren! What are they?? so exciting! (and thanks, dear!)

Thanks Freke! Dan is the man!

LIB! Whatup woman?

Thanks Gecko--how's your search going?

Loriken--get one! I believe Dan has more rough.

Blingaddict--I've always wanted an east/west setting--can't wait--thanks!

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/18/2008 10:29:38 PM
Thanks Skippy and Kelli!

Miz LS,(thanks!)info for you...

Schiller is copper platelets(tiny flat copper particles)that are found in some copper bearing gemstones. I have seen photos of copper bearing tourmaline that also has these platelets suspended within the stone.

Oregon sunstone is a plagioclase feldspar. It is the aventurescent variety of labradorite feldspar. Aventurescence is a type of phenomenon found in some gemstones--a glittery effect from the reflections of certain minerals within the gem.

So, that is actual copper within my stone. You can see the individual platelets through the loupe and actually with the naked eye. I love the effect--I think it''s one of the coolest inclusions!

Not all Oregon sunstone is aventurescent and many prefer the type that is darker in color (orangeish red) and inclusion free. I like this stone, because the body color is peach and independent of the schiller. Many sunstones have schiller but no color. For me, this stone is the best of both worlds--I love both the body color and the schiller.

Coats
Thanks Miz Coati!

So I have learned a new thing today! yay!

And, I''ve now seen this kind of stone (for the first time) in 2 different websites! (there''s one on GemScoop too).
So interesting. I love the colour. And before today, I NEVER knew what a schiller was! woohoo.

LS

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results