shape
carat
color
clarity

Ordering my FIRST gemstone ever!!! HELP

lovemesomecolor

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone! :wavey:

I love all things gems, especially colored gems. I am getting married in March next year :appl: and my future husband knows I LOVE gems and he knows nothing about jewelry or gems. He knows I want a colored gemstone ring so he asked if I wanted to choose the stone and then we can both decide on a setting for my engagement ring. We decided on that and ideally I want an intense pink spinel as the center stone or possibly in a solitaire (depending on gem). I've done my research and you guys have been FABULOUS inspiration AND education for me!

Long story short, after emailing Barry, Peter Torraca and searching on Jeff's and Gene's sites I understood right now such a color of spinel is kind of a needle in a haystack. I managed to come across what I thought was a pinkish lavender spinel at Roger Dery's site. Turns out it's PINK! Roger sent it today so I can look at it. I am crossing my fingers this baby is all I dream for my ring!

I am a bit nervous at the whole thing as I have no experience :rolleyes: .

It's a 2.17 carat - It is an intense pink, - not - showing purple or orange as secondary colors. It is also a very bright stone with lots of small flashes as it is moved about. Description provided by Roger:
-Dimensions are 7.6 x 7.2 x 4.95mm.
- This Spinel was mined at the Mahenge site in Tanzania, likely in late 2011 or early 2012 when it was still producing larger roughs
- the outline is a cushion style, while the facet arrangement is similar to what you would find on a Portuguese cut round.
- Cost is US$975 per carat = $2115.75 + shipping costs . Don't know about pricing but my guess is it's alright?

If you guys have some experience with Roger's work I would love for you to share. His work seems to be awesome and I can"t wait for the spinel to be here. Also, PLEASE share any tips for me to consider while deciding on this gems and mistakes to avoid. I know I'll be super careful handling it as I read a post here of someone damaging a stone by accident.

Don't know how to add pictures :blackeye:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe I have seen that stone first hand and it is lovely. IMO, it is a bit unusual as it is not the typical magenta pink (which I think of as a reddish/purplish pink) and that's what makes it special. When you buy a stone from Roger - or some of the other precision lapidaries - you are paying for their skill in cutting as well as the rough of the stone; many times you are buying something one of a kind. I hope you love it. :))

lovemesomecolor

Rough_Rock
Thank You!

I fel like a kid waiting for Christmas! :appl:

Your are right. And that is one of the reasons I started looking on these lapidarists work. I want a unique piece of art. That's why I also wanted a custom ring to accomodate whatever we find/choose. Thanks for answering

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know enough about spinels to comment on pricing but I wanna see this bad boy, so here's how you ad a picture.

Save the picture to your computer. Drag it to your desktop is the easiest way

Open your thread and post a new comment.

You have to type something in the box, so type away ::)

Under the comment box, you'll see two blue tabs, one says options, one says upload attachment. Click upload attachments.

Click choose file and find the file you want to post.

Then just click add the file.

London

Shiny_Rock
lovemesomecolor|1398729136|3662262 said:

I love all things gems, especially colored gems. I am getting married in March next year :appl: and my future husband knows I LOVE gems and he knows nothing about jewelry or gems. He knows I want a colored gemstone ring so he asked if I wanted to choose the stone and then we can both decide on a setting for my engagement ring. We decided on that and ideally I want an intense pink spinel as the center stone or possibly in a solitaire (depending on gem). I've done my research and you guys have been FABULOUS inspiration AND education for me!

Long story short, after emailing Barry, Peter Torraca and searching on Jeff's and Gene's sites I understood right now such a color of spinel is kind of a needle in a haystack. I managed to come across what I thought was a pinkish lavender spinel at Roger Dery's site. Turns out it's PINK! Roger sent it today so I can look at it. I am crossing my fingers this baby is all I dream for my ring!

It's a 2.17 carat - It is an intense pink, - not - showing purple or orange as secondary colors. It is also a very bright stone with lots of small flashes as it is moved about. Description provided by Roger:
- This Spinel was mined at the Mahenge site in Tanzania, likely in late 2011 or early 2012 when it was still producing larger roughs
- the outline is a cushion style, while the facet arrangement is similar to what you would find on a Portuguese cut round.
- Cost is US$975 per carat = $2115.75 + shipping costs . Don't know about pricing but my guess is it's alright?

If you guys have some experience with Roger's work I would love for you to share. His work seems to be awesome and I can"t wait for the spinel to be here. Also, PLEASE share any tips for me to consider while deciding on this gems and mistakes to avoid. I know I'll be super careful handling it as I read a post here of someone damaging a stone by accident.

This sounds really lovely! I'm loving the idea of a colored stone as an engagement ring so so much. It's funny I always thought engagement rings had to be a diamond but just recently it has hit me like a ton of bricks that color soooo much better!

I don't want to hijack the thread but quick question, would you happen to know if any of the bolded guys you mentioned above also have rubies? I am trying to consider all possible options for my ruby hunt. TIA if you happen to know.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
London|1398735435|3662327 said:
I don't want to hijack the thread but quick question, would you happen to know if any of the bolded guys you mentioned above also have rubies? I am trying to consider all possible options for my ruby hunt. TIA if you happen to know.

I did not recommend Barry, Peter, Jeff or Gene because I know they will not have what you are looking for. They deal with different types of gems and a totally different budget range.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LoveMeSomeColor,
The 2.17 ct spinel is different from the usual hot pink spinel. Of course there are different colours from the Mahenge region but this one doesn't look like the colour than Mahenge is famed for producing. If you love it though, then that's totally different. This thread shows the various flavours of spinel from Mahenge.
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-us-your-mahenge-spinels.138168/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-us-your-mahenge-spinels.138168/[/URL]

spinelpinksqcu2_17ct.jpg

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1398776181|3662573 said:
LoveMeSomeColor,
The 2.17 ct spinel is different from the usual hot pink spinel. Of course there are different colours from the Mahenge region but this one doesn't look like the colour than Mahenge is famed for producing. If you love it though, then that's totally different. This thread shows the various flavours of spinel from Mahenge.
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-us-your-mahenge-spinels.138168/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-us-your-mahenge-spinels.138168/[/URL]

Although pretty, it looks like it has a lot of purple in it- not what I would call pink. I'll be interested in seeing the in hand photos. And Roger is a lovely person to work with. =)

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1398776143|3662572 said:

I did not recommend Barry, Peter, Jeff or Gene because I know they will not have what you are looking for. They deal with different types of gems and a totally different budget range.

Pure, untreated or heat only ruby rough is through the roof these days. I don't believe any of these vendors (perhaps save Jeff) are in a position to tie up the considerable amount of capital it would take to purchase ruby rough, so you are better off with one of the bigger online vendors. Have you tried Pala yet by any chance? Is there a local jeweler who can order via Pala for you to see their stones? Just a thought.

London

Shiny_Rock
Chrono|1398776181|3662573 said:
LoveMeSomeColor,

Some of these are spectacular! that one from Leon... wow!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
London|1398787237|3662735 said:

Leon Mege set the spinel only; he did not provide the 4 carat stone.

London

Shiny_Rock
Chrono|1398787435|3662742 said:
London|1398787237|3662735 said:

Leon Mege set the spinel only; he did not provide the 4 carat stone.

Would you happen to know who the stone is from?

never mind, clicked on link

lovemesomecolor

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone! Chrono, here is a picture Roger sent me. He explained that he can't get the color just right in the pics but that he took this other picture that resembles the color more. He explained that although in first picture it looks purplish, in person the gem shows no purple or orange tones. He offered to send the stone for me to see it. It's supposed to arrive today within just two hours!!! Two thoughts... 1. God that was FAST! 2. I can't wait! Super excited! :appl:
:love:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks like a "regular" pink spinel, rather than "hot" pink. More importantly, is this the colour you like and want?

lovemesomecolor

Rough_Rock
Thanks! I have no idea until I see it. I am sort of open to color as long as it is not grayish or purple. I wouldn't mind a lavender spinel though. But this is not the case. Hopefully the package is here soon and I am able to see if I like it for the ring or not. If not, I think the best route is trying to commission from Jeff . But let's see what happens today :naughty:

lovemesomecolor

Rough_Rock
lovemesomecolor|1398729136|3662262 said:

This sounds really lovely! I'm loving the idea of a colored stone as an engagement ring so so much. It's funny I always thought engagement rings had to be a diamond but just recently it has hit me like a ton of bricks that color soooo much better!

Hi! Thanks. Yes I want my enagement ring to have some color! Then wedding band or bands to be just diamonds. That way I can only wear the band(s) if I want a more neutral or soft look or add the E-ring to have some color :lol:

About Ruby, what I learned from communicating with some of the lapidarists is there is very very few ruby available. Of good quality that is. One mentioned finding just very opaque stones that won't make a nice gem and even that is priced pretty high for what it is apparently. Top quality is very rare to find and as Chrono said, super expensive... therefore many people switching to red spinel and now we have a red spinel scarcity situation too :loopy: Not that it was a super common and easy to find gem to start with

PrecisionGem

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
minousbijoux|1398786035|3662713 said:
Chrono|1398776143|3662572 said:

Pure, untreated or heat only ruby rough is through the roof these days. I don't believe any of these vendors (perhaps save Jeff) are in a position to tie up the considerable amount of capital it would take to purchase ruby rough, so you are better off with one of the bigger online vendors. Have you tried Pala yet by any chance? Is there a local jeweler who can order via Pala for you to see their stones? Just a thought.

It's not a matter of the cost of the rough, I can't speak for the others mentioned, but I know I certainly spend plenty every year on rough, but its a matter of not being able to buy ruby rough. As you know, there is a ban on importing ruby from Burma, so even if it were available, you could not legally bring the material into the US. This type of material is almost always cut locally or by the mine owners. Sri Lanka will not allow the export of rough stones, they want the sapphires cut locally to create jobs. So, what does that leave one to do? The option is to recut cut stones. Some of the cutters enjoy this, I really don't, but will do a few every year.

The other issue is the market for more expensive stones is pretty small. How many people here have spent more than $10,000 for a single stone? How many more than $25,000? The Pricescoper's tend to buy a lot of stones, but not real expensive stones. I would think most purchases are from under $100 to around $500. Things really taper off after that. I'd guess that's pretty typical for most people.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the clarification. What about rough from Madagascar or Mozambique? I've seen some beautiful unheated stones from these and other African locales.

lovemesomecolor

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone! :wavey: Here she (or he) IS!!!! :appl: :appl:

Color is different than in pics as Roger said. And it is a great thing as it is way prettier in person! On daylight and most lighting it is pure pink. Can't see any purple. Only in some pictures for some reason. For the pics I used a Reveal light bulb to try to get color accurate. Some of the little things you learn here from other PSers. THANK YOU! :lol:
For some reason I see this gem and it reminds me of Paraiba Tourmaline. Not because of the color obviously but because it is very "glowy" . Just as Roger said it has a lot of very pretty and small flashes. Excuse the low quality of pictures and that you probably can't appreciate the gem as I don't have any tools to hold it and even if I did I would not risk it as I don't know what I am doing. Might risk it w a $100 gem that is "ok" but not this one! So yes, not much can be seen. There are some areas that in the pic look a bit dark but they really aren't. It's just because the stone is sitting in box I guess :rolleyes:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, we're gonna have to give Roger a hard time on this one, because its nothing like his pics; so much nicer! Bubble gum! I think if your pics are only half as nice as the stone, that's a beautiful stone. :))

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are still looking for a hot pink, give Jaimeen of PrimaGems a call. He seems to be one of the few that still has the intensely coloured Mahenge spinels at reasonable prices.

lovemesomecolor

Rough_Rock
minousbijoux|1398920493|3664134 said:
Okay, we're gonna have to give Roger a hard time on this one, because its nothing like his pics; so much nicer! Bubble gum! I think if your pics are only half as nice as the stone, that's a beautiful stone. :))
haha Yes. But Roger was very clear on the pics being very different at first. Then he got another pic that was a bit more like the color. And finally the spinel is, indeed way prettier than in pictures. And I was trying to find a way to describe the color. You got it right. I'd say it is a very vivid bubblegum color :lickout: . I think every day it grows on me a bit more. Which is a good sign. Still have quite some time to decide... boy, This is not easy!

lovemesomecolor

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1398946421|3664214 said:
If you are still looking for a hot pink, give Jaimeen of PrimaGems a call. He seems to be one of the few that still has the intensely coloured Mahenge spinels at reasonable prices.

Thanks Chrono! Will check their page now.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't bother with their website; they never post their nicer gems online. Calling them is best, emails can be a bit slow.

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
lovemesomecolor|1398916473|3664109 said:
There are some areas that in the pic look a bit dark but they really aren't. It's just because the stone is sitting in box I guess :rolleyes:

I think part of this is that when you look at a stone with your eyes, you're seeing it from two slightly different angles, so each eye is seeing different areas of the stone light up (in effect, you see more brilliance). The camera is getting it only from one angle, and only catching the reflections bouncing back to that one spot. I keep testing this with my garnet - if I look at it with one eye, I see fewer reflections/flashes coming out of it, and that's pretty much what I get with the camera.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The colour and sparkle of the gem is slight different when we view it in the gem case; the colour is generally more muted and the gem looks less sparkly.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results