shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions- white or yellow gold for my spess?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
A preface- most of my jewelry is in white metals (especially anything acquired recently). Everyone keeps saying that spess should go in yellow. The rich yellow gold that we see around here often is really fabulous, but I wonder if it''s not me. To further complicate the matter- I love Harriet''s and Chrono''s stones in white. hmm. Another issue is that my stone definitely has a bit of yellow secondary, which I do not wish to play up. Opinions, please!
1.gif

A quick photo reminder-

spess help.JPG

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Pretty stone. If you want a white metal setting for it, get a white metal setting.

mochi

Ideal_Rock
IMHO...I think you can go either white or yellow gold. I like yellow myself but your stone is just spectacular and it will stand on its own...
30.gif
30.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/11/2009 10:15:15 PM
Author: mochi
IMHO...I think you can go either white or yellow gold. I like yellow myself but your stone is just spectacular and it will stand on its own...
30.gif
30.gif
Ditto. what do you wear most? white or yellow gold?

I'm loving all these projects on the CS board
36.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My pear is in yellow gold, and I think it takes away from the stone. I would prefer the larger contrast with the white gold. I think Harriet and Chrono''s stones are fine examples that a spess can look beautiful in white metal.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Two-tone: yellow gold prongs and basket/head with a white gold band. That way, you get the warmth of the YG near the spess, and the WG against your skin. That spess, btw, looks amazing!

ETA: actually, the two-tone might depend on what kind of setting you're thinking about. If you're going to have a lot of metal around the stone (bezel or bead-set halo), all WG might be better. If it's going to be a very delicate halo (so there's just diamonds showing) or just a basket setting, you could do the two-tone without it blending in too much with your stone.

Magenta

Shiny_Rock
I''ve got no idea, but I eagerly await to see what others say. I''m in a similar position now too.

Do you have pictures of yellow gold with the stone next to it? Like the stone against the side of another ring?

Icce

Shiny_Rock
If you want the stone to stand out more I think the contrast of WG is what you should pick. I think YG might take away from the centre of attention though putting both types of necklaces around the stone and see which colour combo you like more

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/11/2009 10:13:04 PM
Author:icekid
A preface- most of my jewelry is in white metals (especially anything acquired recently). Everyone keeps saying that spess should go in yellow. The rich yellow gold that we see around here often is really fabulous, but I wonder if it''s not me. To further complicate the matter- I love Harriet''s and Chrono''s stones in white. hmm. Another issue is that my stone definitely has a bit of yellow secondary, which I do not wish to play up. Opinions, please!
1.gif

A quick photo reminder-
White, since yellow is not you and your stone has yellow.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I am interested to see the answers to this, I was wondering the same thing. Everyone told me to go with yellow gold, but now I am not so sure.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
I really think you can go either way. I have a citrine in a white gold setting and I think it looks great. (and I''ve seen citrines in yellow gold more often) I think I am going to go with 18K yellow gold for my spess from Richard Wise. I really like the warmth of the yellow gold with the orange of the stone. However, as you said, Harriet''s and Chrono''s stones look wonderful in white. And you said you wonder if yellow gold is not you. I want to have a mixture of white and yellow gold which is why my setting for my spess will be yellow. I think I will have a lot of other colored stones (cooler colors) that I will set in white gold.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like white for your stone. What kind of setting are you thinking?

Magenta

Shiny_Rock
I'd always expected to use gold, but had the opportunity to sit mine next to some gold rings. I've attached pictures, in the hope that they're useful, as the stones look to be similar in colour (in the lighting I took them in, at least!)

I get the feeling that we're (those of us thinking of setting our spess' in yellow gold) are trying to blend three tones that are relatively similar, and it's just not working so well. I presume it would look better in a higher carat gold, like movie zombie's, or in a different shade entirely.

spesswithgold.jpg

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I tend to like lighter shades of yellow/orange stones in white gold (the gentle, pastel ones) and the more saturated colors in yellow gold, but there''s nothing written in stone. Two tone is a good suggestion. I guess it all comes down to finding the best balance between what you like, what''s good for the stone, and what you''d wear.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Lovely stone, I think white gold will look really good. Or white gold with a bit of yellow gold as accents?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

If you want to downplay the yellow, then I’d pick a white metal. Plus, you prefer a white metal and I know if you get a yellow metal, you might not enjoy wearing as much. It will always bug you in the back of your mind.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the help, everyone!

White it is! I just thought I must be missing something since everyone kept talking about spess "belonging" in yellow. Can''t wait to be able to carry the spess around with me and not worry about dropping it
3.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am too late to vote but I am glad you picked white gold. I have 2 spessartite rings and the stone stands out more in WG.

ETA. I love your stone. Pretty color.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/12/2009 9:05:24 PM
Author: marcyc
I am too late to vote but I am glad you picked white gold. I have 2 spessartite rings and the stone stands out more in WG.

ETA. I love your stone. Pretty color.

marcy- You are not too late! I am glad to have your input, as well. Your gem collection is lovely and it is very reassuring that you also think white is the way to go
9.gif

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Icekid - I adore your spess and love that it''s in your av! I am another vote for white gold. Especially after seeing the recent pics.

tsavvy

Shiny_Rock
Another vote for white gold here - the contrast with the orange will look great. What type of setting are you thinking of?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Look at your avatar. It looks great next to the white gold/diamonds so I think you''d be safe with white gold. It would look equally as nice in yellow but if you''re after contrast then white will do the job.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I like the contrast of the orange stone next to WG myself. I think it sort of depends on the shade of the spess though. Some of them seem to work very well with yellow gold.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/13/2009 12:01:58 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
Look at your avatar. It looks great next to the white gold/diamonds so I think you''d be safe with white gold. It would look equally as nice in yellow but if you''re after contrast then white will do the job.

Duhhh, you are so right Loving! It was there in my avatar the whole time
3.gif

tsavvy- The setting is going to be from Sally on etsy.

thanks, inner. I am glad everyone is validating my white choice
9.gif

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it will work well in white gold or yellow gold...its that kind of stone.

-A

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results