shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions wanted - another sapphire

IrisSphere

Rough_Rock
Hi CS experts!

i got really good advice last time I posted, and was ready to pull the trigger but apparently that sapphire was sold a while back and I wasn't looking at updated inventory (::sad face::).

But I came across another sapphire that caught my eye. The price is great as well ($325). I know it's likely this cheap because of the colour - it's sort of light, but as mentioned before I do like these tones and can see it set in a pretty halo with yellow gold.

Here are the stats:
Video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyXhxw4gA2w
11081811_776065899179393_1715241719_n.jpg
11101671_776066125846037_1394932171_o.jpg10965742_776065859179397_974241646_n_0.jpg

What do you think?

Appreciate it and love to learn from all of you!

treasurehunter

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Its priced due to it being Purple - If it were a fine blue it would command a higher price .
This is well priced for a purple and a nice tone if its purple you like

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Based on the video and photos it looks really nice! You could ask Jeff for a photo with the stone on his hand.
Jeff's prices are really reasonable.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
I think it's a good looking stone with no red flags and reasonable price. Ask him about how the colour shifts in various lighting, as sapphires are moody and can become overly grey in some lights. Most don't like that.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are looking for a light purple, right? If so, it might be the right sapphire for you.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This stone is on my eBay Watch list for some time, as I believe it is a very nice stone, and would have bought it if I had the spare pennies to do so.

DK :))

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For the price, its a good stone with good color. The only part I'm concerned about is how the stone isn't lit evenly. Are the images from video? that would explain the light pattern I'm seeing, but if not, I probably would wait.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Arcadian|1427718892|3854469 said:
For the price, its a good stone with good color. The only part I'm concerned about is how the stone isn't lit evenly. Are the images from video? that would explain the light pattern I'm seeing, but if not, I probably would wait.

Yeah, the ends are darker. If OP's budget is tight it's still worth considering imo.

IrisSphere

Rough_Rock
Thank you all! Your additional questions to ask Jeff were very helpful, I am waiting for his responses.

And yes, I was hoping for a lighter blue instead, but for a first sapphire I think a purple would be quite nice as well. Hope it all works out, but it looks promising!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that there is a possible colour issue with the sapphire but if a person is on a tight budget, this stone is a possible candidate. What is the setting type you plan to use? Iris, do you have additional tax considerations when importing a CS to your home?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would say that's a medium toned sapphire. The larger pic has some glare on the table, making it look brighter. The smaller pic looks darker.

IrisSphere

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1427802087|3854980 said:
Iris, do you have additional tax considerations when importing a CS to your home?

Hmm good question - what do you mean tax considerations? I hadn't even thought of that (I admit, I am a complete newbie). I'm in Canada, do you know what that might entail?

Edit: after some googling, it looks like I'll have to pay a provincial tax (13%). Would have to consider that as well.

In terms of settings, I'm currently discussing some options with a local jeweller who is quoting a halo setting, and one without a halo but intertwining bands (will little pave diamonds).

Something along these lines (I believe the second one came from the colored rings thread, but now don't remember whose it was. I'm happy to give credit!):

twistsapphire2.jpg
cross.jpg

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My wife has been thinking a purple sapphire as well, this stone is quite beautiful. If I wasn't such an honorable person and had lots of money I would sniper this!! hahahaha

On a side note: Many people say purple is an undesirable color for sapphire, is this due to it looking like the less desirable and much cheaper amethyst? (have heard the same for purple topaz despite being supposedly rarer than red 'imperial' topaz)

Cheers,
Jordy

ElleK

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I believe that second picture is Catmom's hand.

Amethyst does purple better than basically every other gem variety. Sapphires are harder than amethysts. It's really a toss up as to what the wearer wants/needs. There are sapphires out there that can rival amethyst in color, but they are quite rare.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jordyonbass|1427870026|3855414 said:
My wife has been thinking a purple sapphire as well, this stone is quite beautiful. If I wasn't such an honorable person and had lots of money I would sniper this!! hahahaha

On a side note: Many people say purple is an undesirable color for sapphire, is this due to it looking like the less desirable and much cheaper amethyst? (have heard the same for purple topaz despite being supposedly rarer than red 'imperial' topaz)

Cheers,
Jordy

That's because most purple sapphire looks rather flat. There are some purple sapphires that have a violet or reddish secondary that make them more desirable.

For example, the oval purple in the ring below is rather blah, but the loose oval is more saturated, as well as the cushion in the Leon Mge ring. It's much more difficult to find purple sapphires like the finer ones I posted, especially reddish purples.

purple_sapphire_and_diamond_ring.jpeg

purplesapphire_ov_vert_1_.jpg

r5490_0003-hands_wx_1_.jpg

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Here's mine that I got mine from Jeff Davies as a comparison. It's a shifter and can look blue in some lighting, but looks purple most of the time. It's really hard to get the purple to show in a photo because for some reason the camera sees blue when I see purple. I think the stone in the Leon ring is perfect for a purple sapphire.

purple_sapphire_cushion__2_.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results