shape
carat
color
clarity

opinions on this blue sapphire?

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
here is a blue sapphire
with quite a bit of feather inclusions that is not eye clean.
i know alot of members need eye clean stuff but i actually like unique inclusions.
i like the colour though. vendors says the feather is not surface reaching.

3ct 8.74 x 6.68 x 4.82 mm

abcd2 (1).jpg

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
dont freak out these are marco shots so its lot more visible

abcd44.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HD does this come with a report from a Lab? I''m seeing what I think is evidence of dying/filing?

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/18/2010 4:30:38 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
HD does this come with a report from a Lab? I''m seeing what I think is evidence of dying/filing?
good call for being cautious
yes very reputable lab . natural no heat
i love the colour too

SB621

Ideal_Rock
To me it looks like a bright flash went off with those photos so I would think the color would be darker in RL.

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
any other thoughts from the many active members here? =p

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
wow pretty blue! Nice size! Is the inclusion visible to unaided eyes? Its good to know that it does not break the surface. But it is running across the stone, will that pose a durability issue? maybe a blow at the right spot might break it into half?

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/18/2010 11:22:45 PM
Author: chictomato
wow pretty blue! Nice size! Is the inclusion visible to unaided eyes? Its good to know that it does not break the surface. But it is running across the stone, will that pose a durability issue? maybe a blow at the right spot might break it into half?

its visible to the eye
i am worried about durability but i dont know if the feathers will be that a problem =(

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/18/2010 11:36:10 PM
Author: haagen_dazs
Date: 5/18/2010 11:22:45 PM

Author: chictomato

its visible to the eye

i am worried about durability but i dont know if the feathers will be that a problem =(

hmm.. I am not sure on that, hopefully some expert will chime in:)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope it's priced accordingly for such an included and zoned gem without a gemological memo (what's the treatment?). Personally, I think that would have been better off as a cabochon it's so badly zoned and included. To me, while I don't mind inclusions, I find them extremely distracting on that gem. It does have good size though, so maybe an open bezel might hide the zoning better, but please know that inclusions that are so visible and go across the table of the gem are going to make it worth significantly less than a gem without them. The tone is at least medium and doesn't black out, and you can see it is blue. It's not the most saturated blue, but it does face up blue. The color is okay although it kind of died in the second photo.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
With an inclusion that large across the table, the price had better be very good as they are very poorly valued no matter the colour. Do you mind sharing which lab reviewed the sapphire? I don’t mind inclusions if they aren’t obvious or doesn’t detract from the overall look but I’m concerned this one will. Not only that, but I don’t know if it will affect the durability with the inclusion being far reaching. How close are they to the surface?

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its certainly blue! I''m ok with some types of inclusions but have to admit even to me those are on the larger side and distracting. That may be a stone you have to see in person to decide if you''re really ok with it or not.

-A

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/19/2010 8:19:14 AM
Author: Chrono
Do you mind sharing which lab reviewed the sapphire?
AIGS
36.gif

i dont know if the feather will be a problem. feathers are not surface reaching

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any idea how close it is to the surface? I don’t know how that will impact the structural integrity; I’d be very concerned if it is close to an edge like the girdle where it is more likely to be easily damaged.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does the AIGS state HT or HT() with something in the parentheses? If it''s a heat only stone, then I wouldn''t pay more than $35/ct for the gem.

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/19/2010 4:21:21 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Does the AIGS state HT or HT() with something in the parentheses? If it''s a heat only stone, then I wouldn''t pay more than $35/ct for the gem.

its zero heat all natural.......

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/19/2010 4:14:34 PM
Author: Chrono
Any idea how close it is to the surface? I don’t know how that will impact the structural integrity; I’d be very concerned if it is close to an edge like the girdle where it is more likely to be easily damaged.

i will probably find out

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
What are your plans for the stone? That might make a difference RE durability.

Personally I like the color zoning b/c I think it looks cool. I''m sure it does impact price, though, and you don''t want to overpay even if you really like it. I can''t throw out numbers b/c I''ve never bought a sapphire and have very little knowledge of good asking prices.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/19/2010 4:26:17 PM
Author: haagen_dazs
Date: 5/19/2010 4:21:21 PM

Author: tourmaline_lover

its zero heat all natural.......

okay, then no more than $100/ct. I can''t emphasize enough that the inclusions/zoning are bad, really bad, dude, even for me, which is a shocker.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Even if it is not surface reaching, I would be very worried about durability:

1- Looking at both the top and bottom view, it seems like it a very large internal fracture
2- The large "feather" (I wouldn''t call that a feather, though) starts where a prong would usually go. I would wory that the pressure during the setting process might cause it to reach the surface

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/19/2010 4:44:18 PM
Author: Lady_Disdain
Even if it is not surface reaching, I would be very worried about durability:

1- Looking at both the top and bottom view, it seems like it a very large internal fracture
2- The large 'feather' (I wouldn't call that a feather, though) starts where a prong would usually go. I would wory that the pressure during the setting process might cause it to reach the surface
I agree.

HD if you're going to buy this please make sure you get it thoroughly checked as durability is clearly an issue.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
If only it were a cab, it''s got such a lovely shade of blue... I think that says it all.

Sagebrush

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hagan_daz,

Your inclusion appears to be a feather which is really a partially healed fracture. The whitish area contains a system of tiny voids that are visible under magnification.

Though it is impossible to make a determination from an image, healed fractures tend to be durable. The most traumatic event in a gemstone''s life is usually the cutting of it. If it holds together though that its likely to be ok. However, that said, it should be checked out by a competent gemologist to make sure.

Best,

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think if the price were right for you, and you like the color, I''d get it with the condition that you can return it if your jeweler rules that it''s unsafe to set.

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
thanks guys
great to see the expert richard wise chip in his thoughts too
most appreciate it

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results