shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on CAD

carmen1

Shiny_Rock
Hi all -

My husband surprised me with a lovely chrysoberyl for my birthday a few months ago, and he's offered to get me the setting for Christmas. In my excitement, I sent the stone off without taking any of my own photos of it, so the vendor photo is all I've got:
231ct_yellow_chrysoberyl_756x758x554mm__custom_round__untreated_peter_torraca.jpg

The setting I selected is based on this ring: https://www.etsy.com/listing/153244981/handmade-antique-cushion-cut-lemon

I got the CADs today and they look great to me, but I figured I'd see if there is anything I'm missing before I give them the go-ahead. My main concern was that it wouldn't be too high - it actually looks pretty good to me in the CAD given that the stone itself is 5.5mm deep and the setting has scrollwork & scalloped prongs. Also, my stone is a good bit smaller than the one in the inspiration ring so I was a little worried about the proportions, but that also looks fine to me in the CAD. One thing I didn't expect was the head-on view - it appears to be kind of squared-off rather than round and I'm not sure how I feel about that yet.

Thanks in advance for any opinions/advice/thoughts on this, this is my first CAD and I'm not sure I know what I should be looking out for!

_242.png

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I'm not real experienced either, have had only 2 rings made, but it looks very pretty to me. I like the proportions & love the gallery. My new wedding ring is squared on the edges rather than round & I love the look. It's a little different & more modern without being a major draw to the eye. Somebody wiser than I might have advice for you otherwise. I'm glad you went with yg -- will be super with the chryso.

What a nice DH you have! A keeper for sure.

--- Laurie

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it looks beautiful!

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
I love your inspiration setting! I think your ring will look amazing.

carmen1

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for your comments, I feel much more confident now about telling them to proceed with the ring! I think the squarish-round shape has grown on me, it definitely adds some interest and it's good to hear that others have similar rings that they like. I'll come back to update when I get the ring !

katharath

Ideal_Rock
I've never had CADs to evaluate personally, so I'm really no help. But I have to say that I think this setting looks BEAUTIFUL!! I really love it! I hope you'll post pics when it's completed.

carmen1

Shiny_Rock
Update - the ring is finished and I've got photos from Adzia! Michael at Adzia said it looks "fantastic" but sadly I doubt I'll get to see it in person until Christmas, my husband is a meany - he didn't even have it shipped to our house ;(

So I probably won't be back with handshots for a few weeks, unless I can find where it gets hidden and sneak a few :devil:

P.S. sorry for the enormous photos - I was so excited to share I didn't bother with resizing!

_142.jpeg

_143.jpeg

ring3.jpeg

ring4.jpeg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
You tell that husband that he's now on probation, and if he wants to keep his job, as your husband, that he takes pics and gives them to you so we can see. Mention that we like handshots, in particular. And he has to give it to you on Christmas Eve. :Up_to_something: :wink2:

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Just lovely - I love the way it just nestles into place. Very pretty ring.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
carmen1|1386278509|3568326 said:
Update - the ring is finished and I've got photos from Adzia! Michael at Adzia said it looks "fantastic" but sadly I doubt I'll get to see it in person until Christmas, my husband is a meany - he didn't even have it shipped to our house ;(

So I probably won't be back with handshots for a few weeks, unless I can find where it gets hidden and sneak a few :devil:

P.S. sorry for the enormous photos - I was so excited to share I didn't bother with resizing!

First of all, love it! But you probably knew that already. I'm really hear to applaud you on your search to find it and surreptitiously take photos without him knowing, bwah hah hah ha! You are our type of woman - that is for sure! :wink2: :Up_to_something:

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
Love it! Can't wait to see the handshots. Sometimes it's fun to wait! :)

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
Its gorgeous!!! What size is the chrysoberyl???

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Your husband is sneaky. Tell him we don't appreciate that! We want hand shots -- maybe the ring will look excellent on him. =) It's a beauty all around!

--- Laurie

carmen1

Shiny_Rock
Thanks all - I can't wait to get it in my hot little hands! I just hope he hides the ring somewhere in our house so I can find it :Up_to_something:

erinl|1386326016|3568681 said:
Its gorgeous!!! What size is the chrysoberyl???
Erin - Thanks - it is 2.31 ct and around 7.6mm

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Need face up pictures....need hand shots....Hurry up Christmas! Congrats on such a beautiful ring.

carmen1

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone - and I apologize for being such a slacker and not posting photos sooner! I am having the hardest time capturing the color I see on my hand, which is a shame because to me it is so different from how it looked loose. I admit that I my eyes are not the best at picking out color variations and undertones like you all can, but I just wish I had remembered to take pictures of the chrysoberyl before I sent it off to Adzia. To my eyes the loose stone looked just like Peter's photo - definitely yellow but more of a golden hue, not the nearly neon green-yellow that I see now. It was a happy surprise that the yellow gold setting brought out a bright chartreuse yellow color, is that normal?

Anyhow, I love it. The setting is perfect and the "new" color now pops out at me which is great because it isn't a huge stone for a solitaire setting. It is bright everywhere - outside, at home, at work - I can't find lighting that it doesn't like. However, I cannot capture any of this in my photos. The closest I could get to the color was when I used flash. So here are a few of my cell phone photos, I'll have to see if the real camera does any better. I apologize for the scaly hands, there isn't enough lotion in the world to keep my perpetually dry hands looking normal in this weather!

I should add that I think Adzia did a great job, had excellent communication, and had it turned around pretty quickly despite the holiday season.

new_ring.png

with_and_without_flash.png

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is so pretty! I love the setting!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
tyty333|1389215073|3589060 said:
That is so pretty! I love the setting!
Oh goody more photos! It's super pretty, and I love yellow stones in yellow gold. They did a very nice job.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Love it! It's just so pretty. Sometimes setting a light-ish colored stone does make the color look different. I found that with a peachy tourmaline when I set it in yellow gold. But your ring is really really nice & I'm glad your DH let you have it finally. You must get a ton of compliments on it!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I love that it's a good performer. I think this is where precision cuts are really worth the money.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks more beautiful after being set. Yes, metal type and design can affect the look of a gemstone, playing up/down any modifiers and perceived tone.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
I love the pics - it really turned out so well!! Nice to be able to follow along from the beginning with the cad pics, thanks for sharing. Enjoy your beautiful ring :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results