shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinion on 50CT Oval Cut Amethyst purchase please

shinyhand11

Rough_Rock
Hi i recently won a 50.50CT Oval Cut Amethyst Quartz from government auctions and the price is about $200. I read a lot of bad reviews about this company and their name seems to be a close attempt to be fraudulent. So i am rather scared now. The estimated value on the gem card says $3.5k. I have attached pictures of what was shown to me before purchase. I would like your opinions on this purchase. Is it worth it? or was I scammed? What is this gems ballpark figure?

gem1.jpg

gem2.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The evaluation is beyond overpriced, I'm afraid. Poor colour and poor cut makes it worth very little.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
I'd say it's probably worth about what you paid. I've paid as high as $50 per carat for fine quality and precision cut amethyst; but even that is closer to the high end in my experience.

Chrono is correct that the color/saturation of this gem is lacking, meaning it's not a good example of a fine amethyst.

You paid about $4 p/carat which isn't a necessarily a bad price for what it is. I don't know that you really overpaid, but I do know that there is absolutely no way it's worth their "evaluation", in the sense that if you tried to resell it, you'd probably be lucky to sell it for what you bought it at. Sorry if this is bad news :(

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You paid $200.00 for a $80.00 to $200.00 Amethyst worth that only because of size. It is not worth any more because it is way too pale to be considered a high quality material. If you like it that is all that matters.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results