shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinion: Natural Alexandrite Diamond Ring GIA Certified?

gemvalue

Rough_Rock
I am a fan of natural Alexandrites, I have 3 gems and 2 rings already and always hunting for more.
I have found a deal starting with $1 auction on ebay, here are the pictures of the ring, the alex looking genuine it has GIA certificate as well, not sure what is the quality of the stone, also looking at the color, I have not seen Alexandrite color like this before is it rare color? I seen only green ones but this is kind of mixed, asking for your opinion please? refer to the pictures below:

Here are many pictures and link with the GIA certificates as well:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221630947651

_25073.jpg

_25074.jpg

_25075.jpg

eastjavaman

Shiny_Rock
The video does not show color change, it looks more like a Chrysoberyl to me, but 14k WG ring and 0.70ct diamonds?
All for 1$ is too good to be true. If all are natural untreated stones,you probably are getting the deal of the century. :-o

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The alexandrite is 1.34 ct (if you dig down deep enough to find this information) and the colours are not the usual desired colours (brownish greenish yellow to pinkish brown). It is not a rare colour, just a very poorly coloured alexandrite.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Depends on the reserve - maybe the ring and diamonds a good. Ask our jewellery experts.

The alexandrite is not very nice and the clarity .... you see a bluish shine ( first pic) - could be a Tyndall effect - extremely small inclusions - like your breath on a sunny winterday or some drops of milk in a glass of water. I would not pay 150-200 Dollar for this alexandrite.

I miss a picture were you see the whole stone ...why??

If you get it cheap remove the stone and set a nice one...

liao

Shiny_Rock
that play of word... 2.04ct total carat, while the weight of the alex only 1.34ct

The color is very bad. brownish greenish-yellow to brownish pink? With that low saturation, I will call it color shift chrysoberyl than alex. Even if a gun pointed to my head, and the seller sell it for $100, I will not buy the stone

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's olive brown. If you like that color, andalusite is a very affordable alternative, although it doesn't have color change, it has strong dichroism showing olive and yellowish hues depending on how it's facing you and the cut. It was often called "poor man's alexandrite," because it mimicked the color on some more olive green shades of alexandrite.

andalusite-diamond-ring_1_.jpg

gemvalue

Rough_Rock
liao|1418237190|3798986 said:
that play of word... 2.04ct total carat, while the weight of the alex only 1.34ct

Alex over 1ct are very expensive, so 1.34ct it's not considered small size I think

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results