carat
color
clarity

Open-minded and creative input sought, please

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is my 20th anniversary RHR.

After wearing for 6 months 2 issues: (1) way too much wear (beyond patina) on platinum & (2) slight abrasions on sapphire crown facets.

We've agree to remake it in a different plat alloy (probably tried & true 90/10 iridium).

So - what to do about the sapphires? This is where I'm seeking ideas. Babying the ring is not the solution, although I'm willing to be more careful. It's my mom's diamond and I want to wear it all the time. Despite others' prudent habits, my social circle wears their wedding/anniversary rings ALL the time.

Some ideas I've put forward:

try to lower the sapphires

double bezel

bezel and prong

Big prongs

replace sapphires with champagne diamonds

One of my good friends has a 3-stone diamond/sapphire ER. She said she wore it 20 years and when the sapphires were too beat up she replaced them (prong-set)

Any & all ideas welcomed!

FightGravity

Shiny_Rock
I know this is heresy on here, but...

Smaller sapphires?

I bet part of why they are getting abraded is because they're off the side of your finger, rather than being directly on top. You could also try tucking the stones closer together.

S

SparkliesLuver

What about a different orientation? N-S, maybe? Or some sort of asymmetrical cluster style ring? Or a really neat bypass style?

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Fightgravity and Sparkliesluver for your feedback. I't a conundrum that's for sure.

If the sapphires have to keep being repolished they will be smaller - haha.

N/S? - hmmm - cool out-of-the-box idea!

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would not be able to wear such a wide ring, whether on a daily or occasional basis. It would be uncomfortable and I'd worry about the possible damage, which appears to have happened to your very special ring.

What about making a new bezel ring for just the diamond, would be stunning, I'd think, and then using the sapphires in earrings?

Or, if you really want all three in one piece, would a much finer bezel bring the width of the ring down enough so that it no longer was wider than your finger? That alone could make a difference maybe?

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually it's so comfortable, it's like "butter" to wear; for weeks I never removed it, but you're 200% correct about the damage - no question there!!!

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I made this piece for my sister about 5 years ago and the sapphires are now damaged so badly that they are nearly fish tank gravel. I had no idea that someone could be so rough that they'd actually break small sapphires like that. Funny thing is that she had no idea that she was beating the ring up so badly...never felt any impacts or had it get caught on anything.
If I was to do this over I would definitely change the design. I think that the major change would be to make the sides of the bezel higher so that the stones could not be impacted at all. Most of these designs have the tables of the stones significantly above the top of the bezel. While it's hard to make a high edge on a bezel, (since pressing the bezel down onto the stone is almost impossible), it is possible to make the bezel sort of a two tier affair with the inner tier holding the stone in place and the higher outer tier keeping the stone away from impacts.

three_rounds_0.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Smaller sidestones could help. As well as tucking the sidestones under the center stone for a bit. David Klass made such a ring. If I remember well it was posted in your other thread about this topic.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In my experience, before platinum gets to a patina it looks REALLY beat up and scratched, and over time as you add more scratches that tones down and it looks soft, instead of mangled. I don't know that changing the alloy is going to alter that - I have 90/10 and it definitely looked awful for a time before coming out the other side with a patina. But I haven't seen pictures so I don't know if this is what is going on with your ring or not. No suggestions on how to stop facet abrasion, but good luck!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MIchael, Acinom, & distracts. Your input is all helpful! Ahh - what to do, what to do?!?!

Smaller side-stone? Fish-tank gravel? I'm thinking thru every scenario. THANK-you for sharing your thoughts & experiences. Really!!

gingercurls

Shiny_Rock
I think that if you are set on keeping the Sapphires in your ring, it would be a good idea to consider the ring that Neil posted. It has a low profile, the setting would protect the stones, and the North-South orientation would mean that it would get less knocked around than your current design.

agingsparkle

Shiny_Rock

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that you have a limited set of options:
1. Set the stones very deeply into the bezel but this will affect both the colour and sparkle of the sapphires negatively
2. The sapphires are overhanging your finger and getting damaged - go with smaller sidestone or a N/S design might help with the overhang if they don't go past the knuckles.
3. Go with diamonds instead of sapphire

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Michael_E|1432947286|3882855 said:
I made this piece for my sister about 5 years ago and the sapphires are now damaged so badly that they are nearly fish tank gravel. I had no idea that someone could be so rough that they'd actually break small sapphires like that. Funny thing is that she had no idea that she was beating the ring up so badly...never felt any impacts or had it get caught on anything.
If I was to do this over I would definitely change the design. I think that the major change would be to make the sides of the bezel higher so that the stones could not be impacted at all. Most of these designs have the tables of the stones significantly above the top of the bezel. While it's hard to make a high edge on a bezel, (since pressing the bezel down onto the stone is almost impossible), it is possible to make the bezel sort of a two tier affair with the inner tier holding the stone in place and the higher outer tier keeping the stone away from impacts.

Beautiful ring. I am surprised it sustained that much wear in a bezel! I guess everyone is different.
I wear my anni ring every day, but take it off at night, washing dishing, shower, etc. There is no design that is foolproof, especially if being worn 24/7.

carmen1

Shiny_Rock
I agree the options are limited, here's all that I could think of:

1. A three stone prong setting with the side stones tucked slightly behind the center stone. I'm not entirely sure this would work, given the significant width of your stones vs. the narrow width of your finger. Even with removing the bezels and hiding the edges of the sapphires, you may not be enough to prevent the ring from extending beyond the width of your finger. Also not sure whether it would potentially expose the center stone more than the current setting, just another consideration.

2. Possibly angling the stones in a bypass, or maybe stair-step style may keep all the stones within the width of your finger - again, I'm throwing it out there but I have no idea whether it would actually be doable given the actual size of your stones.

3. North-south as others have mentioned, I imagine this would take up all your finger real estate from knuckle-to-knuckle.

4. If replacing the sidestones with smaller ones is something you'd be open to, then that is probably the easiest and most obvious solution.

Looking forward to hearing what you decide!

_30754.jpg

three_stone.png

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW Carmen, thanks for the pics. I too have been clipping a few styles, where I think the sapphires would be more protected. Yours are good ones to add to my collection!

I'll let you know.

carmen1

Shiny_Rock
If you are set on bezels, then you should definitely downsize your side stones so the proportions are similar to those of the 3 inspiration photos you posted. I think re-setting your existing stones in a new east-west bezel setting is not really going to make much of a difference vs. your current setting.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm willing to consider prongs. I guess I could downsize sapphires.

BMI

Shiny_Rock
Hi motownmama. I am hardly ever on this forum but I was looking for asscher setting inspiration when I somehow stumbled upon your threads asking for input. I am not sure what the dimensions of your stones are but I wanted to tell you that I have a three stone sapphire ring and all three stones are 7mm. My stones are prong set, and the key to making them fit across the top of my finger is that the side sapphires are tilted on quite an angle and they are tucked a bit under the center stone on the inside edges. I do not wear this ring 24/7 (I never sleep or shower with any rings on), but I do wear it around the house all day and on my right hand. I have had the ring for three years now and I have banged this ring numerous times and even closed a suitcase on it with no damage to any of the stones. If any of my sapphires were to get scratched or abraded it would most likely be my center stone because it sits up quite a bit higher than the sides but since your center stone is a diamond it can take the most beating. I am in no way a jewelry expert, but I think that the third setting you posted (the three semi-bezels) could work to remedy your current problems with your ring. Best of luck to you with your decision!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
THX BMI - that sounds like a pot'l solution.Do you have a picture?

BMI

Shiny_Rock
Hi, my side stones are pear shaped and this is the setting I have from Unique.
image_3603.jpg
Here is a picture of the ring on my left hand, though I primarily wear it on my right hand which is just a smidge bigger. Hopefully you can get an idea from this pic of how slanted the side stones are and how they tuck under the center stone just a bit.
p1020448.jpg
Sorry, I don't have a good picture of the profile view to show you, but the stones do not extend past my finger. I think my fingers are larger than yours though. This ring is a loose 71/2.
I also want to let you know that I have frequently heard that sleeping in rings can cause excess wear and tear due to the hands rubbing against sheets all night. I have no personal experience to validate this, but just a suggestion that might be helpful since your sapphires are showing abrasion in a rather short amount of time.
I hope you find a solution that makes you happy!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results