shape
carat
color
clarity

Opal Hunt

freewheelinrose

Rough_Rock
Hey everyone! I've posted on the diamond boards but not this one yet and I'm looking for some advice.

I am searching for opals on the internet and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction.

I like firey opals with a full showing of the color spectrum. I like the rolling floral patterns best and then probably the most commonly seen crystal pinpoint flashes with interest in any pattern that displays brilliant color.

My ideal stone would be a clear/transparent enough to read text through opal with a full rainbow of color present. However, I also like flashy black opals.

I do not want a doublet or triplet, solid stone required.

I'm willing to buy large and have it cut/polished down to a reasonable size for a center stone in a ring, but I don't know how/anyone who could do that for me.

One last question, does anyone know about the hardness/strength difference between a lighter colored opal vs. black opals?

Thanks for the assistance!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
http://www.codyopal.com/cody0405/index.html
http://www.internetopals.com/index.htm
http://www.opalauctions.com/

There's a ton of information about different types of Opal in the above two links. The third one is an Opal auction site that was recommended to me by a lapidary. You can find absolutely everything there and it works a little like Ebay. Opals will always be priced by colour-play, certain colours are more sought after than others (i.e. red) and certain patterns also attract a premium. Basically, everyone wants Opals with lots of colour and colour-play but it's very personal! I have all types of Opals but my very best is a Lightning Ridge Opal that has a red rolling flash through it that's absolutely mesmerising.

The clear/water/jelly Opals (they're called different names depending where you buy) are gorgeous and clear with typically a colourless, translucent or yellow base are very pretty and good ones will have a lovely colour play BUT they're not the "OMG look at the colours on that" type of Opal that you get with the darker background one. Curiously, I've just bought a Welo Opal and was going to start a new thread, so have a look at that or a coloureless type.

The links above DO differentiate between natural, doublets, triplets etc but be aware that on Ebay and some unscrupulous sellers sometimes omit that from their information.

Do please post pictures when you get one won't you?

freewheelinrose

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the help thus far! I had already stumbled upon opalauctions.com, but I wanted to make sure that it was reputable.

I am ultimately trying to design/find an engagement ring. We are on a tight budget (~$1500) and it is very (very!) difficult to find a *nice* diamond + ring (setting) for that much. I figure I'd want a firey diamond, so why not go for something that shows color all the time. I've always loved opals and would be very content if I found the right one to display.

Most of the opal jewelry I've seen is not to my liking. Either the setting looks poorly made or the opal is of poor quality or it is simply not my style. That's why I would ideally like to find a beautiful stone that I can turn into a ring. After looking some more, I think I am drawn to what they call crystal opals, that tend to be closer to the translucent side that still exhibit a full range of color. I don't want the opal to look too milky white, blue, green or grey. I like the slightly clear/clear-blueish coloring

This opal is a good example of the color/style that I prefer. (please click link to see)
http://www.internetopals.com/opal-jewelry/rings/kat/kat-608.htm

and this too!
http://www.internetopals.com/opal-jewelry/rings/Str/str-338.htm

I have a hefty men's gold ring that has four small (~.25 ctw) diamonds in it that I was hoping to use as well. Either to defray the cost of a setting/custom work and to use the diamonds. Plus my one and only (boyfriend) has also had some family give him some old jewelry to scrap.

I don't want anything too fancy. I still really like the three halo ring style I posted about on RockyTalk, but maybe with opals instead of diamonds....

I don't want to get caught up in buying loose stones only to be cut short with the cost of cutting the stones (if bought large/rough) and design of the ring. I am totally unfamiliar with creating a ring from scratch. I'd initially wanted to do that with a diamond ring, but it was just unthinkable with the costs of the diamonds themselves alone...So please give me some feedback about the costs of having someone design a ring for you/having a larger opal cut down...if I should just give up on this idea too?

Am I going down the wrong path here? Help!

freewheelinrose

Rough_Rock
Also, if I do go down this path does anyone have a recommendation for setting style bezel vs. prongs? I know opals are much softer than diamonds and so I figure a nice bezel would be better as to protect the opal more than having open gaps between prongs where it could be knocked and cracked or damaged....This would not normally be my preference as I feel it makes everything too flat. I don't like rings that are too tall though, so much so that they would be caught on materials/scratch/scrape children/people. I feel sooo lost. I hope all you friendly PSers can help me out or point me in the right direction!

just some extra info that might help y'all determine more about my preferences...I'd say that overall I like things to look smooth and well made, almost a minimalist, but with a elegant edge. I like things to be even, symmetrical! especially on a ring that I'd wear every day. That's why I don't want pear shapes or anything like that. I wouldn't be able to handle it. I like round and oval shapes mostly; with a growing interest in cushion cuts. The way that I prefer my opals are the smooth and polished cuts with no faceting - cabochon I believe it is called. Green has long been my favorite color. I wouldn't mind some half moon black opal with green/green-blue coloration to flank the central opal.... but I'm rambling now. I hope that helped more than confused!

Thanks again for all the help out there! This site is so wonderful, to have guidance/opinions/ideas from people who are NOT trying to sell you something.

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Opal is a wonderful stone...I personally don't think it's a good choice for an engagement ring that will be worn everyday as it's soft and scratches easily, even in a protective setting.

Ethiopian opal, (also called Wello, Welo opal for the location it is from), is also not recommended for rings unless you take it off when you wash your hands. It is a porous opal called hydrophane, that will soak up the water, and usually lose its color. When the moisture dries out, the color comes back.

Your best bet for a ring stone is an australian crystal opal. I am by no means an expert, and I plan to violate the above statement because I am going to set a Welo opal into a ring, but it will be on and off my finger a lot, I think.

Good luck on your hunt.

Laura

freewheelinrose

Rough_Rock
Sigh! That is what I feared, with the stone being so soft. Is there anyway to put a "protective cover" on it that would make for a harder, more impermeable surface without compromising the nature of the opal??? Oh well, I'll keep digging.

Thanks Laura! (good name! --it's my name too!)

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would also agree that an Opal needs some careful looking after and if you're exceptionally soft on your jewellery then it might be ok but generally speaking it's not recommended. Years ago, Opals were often seen in engagement rings but they were normally quite small.

I've not seen many bezeled Opals (especially cabochons) but that's not to say you couldn't find somebody to do it BUT most cabs sit reasonably high from your hand and so will be prone to knocks and bumps. Typically faceted and cabbed opals are prong set.

Just a thought but you can get Opals (good ones) fairly cheaply. As you love them, why not buy a gorgeous one and then have it set into a necklace to wear on your wedding day. That way, it'll be a special necklace and a compromise to having it as your engagement ring.

For engagement rings, diamonds, rubies, sapphires and chrysoberyls are a good bet as they are the most durable. There are other gemstones you could have also but again it depends on how accident prone you are/aren't!

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
freewheelinrose|1296409190|2837364 said:
Sigh! That is what I feared, with the stone being so soft. Is there anyway to put a "protective cover" on it that would make for a harder, more impermeable surface without compromising the nature of the opal??? Oh well, I'll keep digging.

Thanks Laura! (good name! --it's my name too!)

Yes there is but then it would be a doublet.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
100% talk to Rick at Art Cut Gems.

Opals are his thing and he's a great person to deal with.

I'd also be very wary of opal as an e-ring stone unless you are okay with replacing the stones, are very soft on your jewellery and are okay not wearing it for most of the time.

I have a garnet in my e-ring (no cleavage, pretty tough and a 7.5 on the Mohs) and I only wear it when I go out - it comes straight off when I come home. I'm very careful with it and even so it already has a tiny chip on one of the crown facets and a scratch on another. I will probably have it repolished in a couple of years.

freewheelinrose

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the input!

colormyworld: I guess that a protective coating would make it a doublet, but I thought maybe just some oil/wax or something like that would maybe be available to help it out. I said I didn't want doublets because I don't want a glued together stone....

thanks for the search results lovingdiamonds! it is a lovely welo (not as nice as yours!) , but since I have been told and looked up myself how soft they are it seems like I should reconsider that type. :( they are beautiful

and Pandora! Thanks for your help too! I will have to write up and email to Rick!

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
No, I'm afraid that it would be very difficult to cover the opal with something that would protect the stone and yet not get damaged itself.

If you don't mind periodically replacing the stone, then you may be able to get what you want...and you will have to be very careful with it. Bezeling would make replacing it far more difficult, but it can be done. You will want to find a goldsmith with experience setting opal whether you go with prongs or a bezel--and critical if you bezel it.

If you really love opal, there is no reason you should no have what you like for your e-ring...except that you should understand the risks up front. I like opal for my right hand, and have a sapphire as my e-ring stone.

Good luck whichever way you decide to go. There is some amazing Aussie opal out there too, it is generally pricier per carat than the Ethiopian opal, at the moment at least, and some can be very pricey, but also quite beautiful. Opal Auctions is a site that was also recommended to me.

Laura

freewheelinrose

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the help out there, but I guess I've decided to go in another direction since I don't want to have to replace my stone every so often and I'm afraid such a soft stone with no outstanding track record of durability.

I do like the idea of maybe later on having some opals cut for just for fun jewelry, they are still one of my favorites what with all the colors of the rainbow! I have what is probably a triplet or man made or something in a simple silver ring I bought on my college campus a few years ago and I love wearing it because it still has the fire, but I dream of owning a lovely natural, untreated, firey cabochon one day!

If anyone stumbles across this thread and have ideas or thoughts on other colored gems for e-rings, please look for my other threads! Happy seeking fellow PSers!

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Watch Barry Bridgestock's site, he's been putting out some nice Welo opal if you want to get one to tuck away for the future. You have to use his descriptions and your imagination...the stones are extremely difficult to photograph and get a good idea of what you are getting. I purchased one of the cabs from his site recently and am very pleased with it. No photos as it's at my jeweler's getting set (when they get to it, lol). If anyone saw the picture of the stone with all the pinfire..that is the one.

Laura

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
Look up Aussie Treasure Chest. Lots of opals, reasonable prices... I have purchased three, and each was as described.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rick Martin got me the opal I wanted for my daughter. He is known for opals. That my daughter lost the opal ring in which he had set it so beautifully within two or three days of her 17th birthday broke my heart, but at least I had taken pictures of it!

Deb/AGBF
:read:

Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This was a beautiful opal that fit the budget I requested. Knowing that my daughter is careless, I did not want to give her an expensive piece of jewelry I had hoped to give her for her sixteenth birthday. (I still have nor given it to her.) Unfortunately, the ring is on my hand, not my daughter's long, lovely hand. The opal, however, is gorgeous!

PS-I realize you don't want a white stone. I did. My budget was low and Rick got me a great stone for my price. I own a red, Mexican, fire opal that I have stashed somewhere, too. Talk to Rick!!!

Deb/AGBF
:read:

Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend

The FinishedProductAGBF1.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results