shape
carat
color
clarity

One more request.....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
Ok so I received a tremendous amount of help on my photoshop help thread and my which stone to choose thread. Well I chose the stone and itt is somewhere between AZ and MN being shipped to me yippee! So I am trying to decide between settings and have one more photoshop help request from one of you talented people
9.gif
I will explain it as I post the pics for you. Thanks you SO SO SO SO much in advance!

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
This is my first choice of setting for my stone but something I would have to really save up for since I am a poor college student. Ana already made this picture up for me thank you so much!

perfecthalo529.jpg

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
Bigger picture of the stone I chose in case it is easier to work with this larger pic and then shrink it instead of using the above one for a new pic
21.gif

original zircon.jpg

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
Here is the beadset halo that I would like some kind and loving soul (ahem insert butt kissing punch line here
13.gif
) to put my stone in pretty please! Thank you all!

riogemspendant.jpg

riogems

Shiny_Rock
What is your budget? How long do you think you have to save up for it? If you love a halo - I don''t see why you can''t do it with small diamonds... I can''t imagine would use more than 0.20ctw.

jetmal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
well.....the halo will cost me around $330-350 for a round stone......thats using 16 diamonds in the halo...sorry, I cant remember if he said 1 or 2 pointers......My stone is going to be about 6mm....and I think ILS'' stone is larger than that.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Even with a low tcw like the one you mentioned it will still be expensive in most place...around 2k.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/27/2006 2:44:21 PM
Author: ilovesparkles
This is my first choice of setting for my stone but something I would have to really save up for since I am a poor college student. Ana already made this picture up for me thank you so much!
i agree! this will be stunning.....and worth saving for, imo. why settle for 2nd best when you know this is what you really want?!

eta: there is nothing wrong with saying no to instant gratifiction and saving for what you want; it will mean more to you in the end to have what you really want.

movie zombie

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
2k dollars seems a little high to me. Even in plat. Jetmal's est, seems more in line with what I see for 14k.

riogems

Shiny_Rock
2k is ridiculously high for 0.20ctw halo. The price / weight will change dramatically as you change from 1/2 point to 1 point to 2 point. Not only are 2 point stones 4 times the weight of 1/2 point, they also cost more per carat. A handmade 0.20ctw 4 gram shouldn''t cost more than a few hundred dollars... platinum is a different story. But $2k is truly crazy.

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
Ok I see I need to clarify some things here. I want 14k white gold. 1/2 pointers because the stone is about 6.5 mm. What about using melee diamonds? Or is that what 1/2 pointers are already? I do have a while to save up but part of me feels bad about spending more than $200 on the setting - for something materialistic. I know - GASP - those words shouldn''t be uttered on PS. But I do feel bad. Thats almost a plane ticket to go see my BF!

Oh and no that $950 for the bezel setting I mentioned on jetmals thread was for a plain bezel setting. No diamonds. Nothing but the setting and a chain in 14k wg, 18 in chain. Which is why I felt it was ridiculous.

And thank you administrator for the photoshop help! So now what is this diamond sparkle thing you are talking about?

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
ILS 950$ seems very high for a simple bezel setting with chain. I think 400 to 450 $ would be more in line for something like that. Small diamonds around it would add very little to the price. IMO

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
"2k is ridiculously high for 0.20ctw halo. The price / weight will change dramatically as you change from 1/2 point to 1 point to 2 point. Not only are 2 point stones 4 times the weight of 1/2 point, they also cost more per carat. A handmade 0.20ctw 4 gram shouldn''t cost more than a few hundred dollars... platinum is a different story. But $2k is truly crazy."

It was my understanding that the price in pieces like this are the custom wax, custom casting, pave work, etc. not the actual cost of the melee diamonds. And half pointers are melee diamonds. If you were just going by how much the tiny diamonds cost than a custom pave ring would be super cheap compared to what the real cost is.

ilovesparkles- have you gotten any quotes yet? We can speculate all you want but the only person that can tell you how much it will cost will be the person who is going to make it.

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
A mass produced setting from one of the places that do such things would be even less.

riogems

Shiny_Rock
When I said $2k was ridiculous - I didn''t just mean for materials - I meant for the custom carved wax, labor, etc... I know plenty who would make the necklace complete with half-point diamond halo for under $500. And I''m speaking not as a consumer, but as someone who also makes jewelry. I''m in agreement with colormyworld.

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
I really didn''t know they mass produce bezel settings for stones shaped that way because I haven''t really seen a stone like that. I don''t get how they would have that many settingsfor a stone that size and that shape. I guess you learn something new everyday.

riogems

Shiny_Rock
A piece like this can''t be mass produced... it must be handmade to fit the stone. But what I said about $500 tops still applies.. I was suggesting that it should cost that much for materials + labor of a handmade item + profit.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love sparkles, why don''t you get the setting you want, but stick white sapphires, white topaz''s, or even CZ''s into the bezel part? You can always upgrade later, and for now it will be practically just like the setting you want. I also agree that 2k is too much. I would get a few different quotes on this one.

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry, guess I was off topic. I was talking about Jetmals 6mm round when I mentioned mass produced settings.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/28/2006 12:22:53 AM
Author: kcoursolle
I love sparkles, why don't you get the setting you want, but stick white sapphires, white topaz's, or even CZ's ...
It would make little difference. Diamonds that small are not terribly expensive.
Also, to replace pave later, the setting would likely need to be destroyed.

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
Is the $2k an actual quote from a vendor or just what someone said it might be? I agree it sounds a high but like Ana said, the diamond melee wouldn''t be the most expensive part about it. I think she should get quotes from a few vendors before gets worked up about how much it costs
1.gif

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
I have no idea where the $2k price came in. WF wouldn''t give me a quote because they felt it was way too far out of my budget. So when I emailed Wink Jones I left that info out and got the $950 quote for the simple bezel which I felt was outrageous! Not to mention the lady I was in correspondence with was so rude I wouldn''t have used them any ways unless the price was outstanding. My next step actually is to look at local goldsmiths. I have been told this a couple of times to find a little old local guy and that is where I will get the best deal. So it goes from there........

Riogems - if you don''t mind me asking how much do you sell that bead set halo pendant for???? I understand if you can''t answer this because it would be self advertising just thought I would go for it
28.gif

riogems

Shiny_Rock
That''s actually an earring - haha - it''s part of a pair. I''ve never sold these retail... so I haven''t created a retail price yet -- I think $300-$400 would be a fair retail price for them. A pendant would be approximately half (ie half the work, weight, stones). I''m attaching the picture of the earring so you can see it completely (and believe it is an earring). It is an 8mm round citrine. I don''t think you mentioned the dimensions on your stone? Do you know what it is?

I hope this post isn''t seen as a self-promotion... just as a retail guideline to answer your question.

rio-citrine-earrings.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
geez, that''s the kind of citrine i like! looks like spess!!!!!!

movie zombie

riogems

Shiny_Rock
Oh no, side-by-side the spess will look much better (in my opinion).. but the citrine isn''t a bad alternative. Do you like fire opal too? (see attached picture)

fire-opal.jpg

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/28/2006 7:12:10 PM
Author: riogems
That''s actually an earring - haha - it''s part of a pair. I''ve never sold these retail... so I haven''t created a retail price yet -- I think $300-$400 would be a fair retail price for them. A pendant would be approximately half (ie half the work, weight, stones). I''m attaching the picture of the earring so you can see it completely (and believe it is an earring). It is an 8mm round citrine. I don''t think you mentioned the dimensions on your stone? Do you know what it is?

I hope this post isn''t seen as a self-promotion... just as a retail guideline to answer your question.
Well I don''t consider it self promotion since I asked a questions but just in case, *moderaters* its all my fault
12.gif
THanks rio! I really like that setting too!

Grar. So my stone tried to come today but since its insured the postman couldn''t leave it and took it with him, oh I am fursious!
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh, i do agree the spess would look better....but good orange citrine is a beauty to behold....and a bit more unusual than the usual yellow citrine.

yes, i do like fire opal, and i''m even discovering the joys of oregon sunstone.....
face6.gif

movie zombie

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i see in the other thread that you marked the box for the postal person to leave the package at your door. they may not since it is insured......perhaps a note on the door that its ok to leave it with a neighbor who can sign for it?

movie zombie

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Can I PM you? I had an idea I wanted to share with you about vendors and custom stuff because I am also in the process of looking for custom work.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results