carat
color
clarity

on the hunt for the elusive orange

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
and not just any orange.

So I sat down with my pantone colors the other day, because its how I sometimes evaluate what color to get next... those damn kits have got to be good for something right???

So anyway these are the colors I evaluated.

Orange
Tangerine
Mandarin
Safety Orange

So which of these colors would you pick to put into white gold? sorry it has to be white, I want to wear this pretty often.

-A

m76steve

Brilliant_Rock
i'd go for the mandarin orange-usually a richer color-being a garnet should be a tuffie with little bouts of abuse & whoops! a durable stone with good material to be had at reasonable money-my 2 cnts-steve...

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
Waaaahhhh !
I pick *gold*

(isn't Chrono's big Spess the Tangerine color? It looks pretty nice in it's setting :)) )

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
S-A-F-E-T-Y safety orange

blithesome71

Shiny_Rock
is there a slot for carrot orange? hehehe :bigsmile:

...I vote for either Safety Orange or Orange.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Arc, there is a orange garnet Ive been trying to talk my self into buying since october. big, good color, precision cut, interesting shape, nice clarity for a lolipop and good (very) price. From a laipdary Ive bought from before and only been very happy with, who deserves more recognition here. The only thing that stops me is other projects and other stones. One has to prioritize and it's not pleasant. They sent me photos that they didnt have online which were far better than what they had posted. I would keep it a secret with the intention of getting it eventually but I realize that this week I spent a small fortune of a couple o' rocks and I need to get more metal for those so reality is telling me this orange isnt coming my way. I'd rather see it go where it will be put to good work instead of evil, so if you would like it
http://rough2refinedgemstones.com/?page_id=201

David Dawson is the cutter. He is consistently featured on Oneworldgemstone.com .
Damn, I just went to his website to get the link and now Im gonna go over budget. Damn damn damn

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Safety Orange as it has less brown.

Having said that, I actually wouldn't put it in w/gold. Like you I'm a white gold lover and recently put an orange in a w/gold setting. It just looks meh. Really meh. The lusciousness and warmth of the orange has been lost and honestly it would have looked far better in a y/gold setting OR at least with a halo of y/gold or something but then the rest of the ring in w/gold.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like safety orange the best. I have a very orange spessartite pear, which you may have seen before, and it's in white metal. I feel that if a stone is saturated enough, then you can put it in any color metal. I love my spessartite pear, and I think it pops against the white metal because there is such a contrast. I have a yellowish orange Loliondo spessartite, and I put it in 18K yellow to tone down the yellow and bring out more orange. I think 18K yellow gold is good for toning down yellow secondary colors or even brown, which is a dreaded modifier in these stones.

Chrono's cushion is also in white metal (platinum), and it looks scrumptious in there, but again, it's very saturated. Most spessartites I would put in high karat yellow gold.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Arcadian :wavey:

I'm sure you've already seen Mine's spess but maybe some pics here would yield more insight? ::) Not sure what orange it matches up to, but it sure is pretty..

MineSpess2.jpg
MineSpess1.jpg
MineSpess3.jpg

stci

Ideal_Rock
OMG Yssie! Your ring is to die for! Fantastic!

Arcadian.... go for safety orange who seem look like Yssie ring!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
stci|1298226933|2856054 said:

That's MINE's ring. Not Yssie's.

I say Safety Orange.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
long ago there was a poster named Mine. her spess is from richard homer. we both were getting stones for our e-rings and deciding on settings at the same time. oddly, we both originally were going to have our spess's set in mokume gane but i went high carat gold and she went white.

personally, Arcadian, i'd go the plain and simple orange with white metal. however, i think any really high quality spess will work in any metal.

enjoy the hunt!

MoZo

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks all. The feedback is great and well appreciated. One of the things I love about this community!

Yssie, I remember when Mines posted that , I was in LUV. I love how vivid it is.

LD, though I do have some rings that are two toned,I really don't wear them very often. The ring that JKT made which is gorgeous but hardly worn...because its two toned. My big super green peridot is also in a two toned ring, but I hardly wear that either. So I don't want to have another ring in two tone that will sit there and hardly be worn.

I have to go with all one color for this one, and being I'm already doing 2 rings in yellow gold, and I have 3 rings in rose gold, I think its a safe bet for me to insure that if this one gets worn then I need to go with white gold.

Vapid, thanks for that link. I've been checking them out off an on for a while. They have some amazing stones (that chrome sphene really caught my eye :wink2: ) I think there's some great sellers out there that should be in that sticky but they're not. I think it really should be updated :mrgreen:

-A

stci

Ideal_Rock
FrekeChild|1298228145|2856065 said:
stci|1298226933|2856054 said:

That's MINE's ring. Not Yssie's.

I say Safety Orange.

Ho I'm sorry! It's a marvelous ring!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry for any confusion - prob should've bolded Mine's name in my OP!

Arcadian - good luck! I don't know enough to be of any help in your hunt but I'll be watching and ogling ::)

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Anyone have time to compile poster's spess and what color they correspond to?

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
thought about that herekitty but also remembered that there may be one out there already. Considering I'm flat on my back for a while (I had tear duct surgery yesterday, ick) I have to dig around on the site for it.

-A

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
btw, I love the thoought of having something in safety orange. I've got a few feelers out there. spoke to Eric over at swala, my eyes are swollen so I'm not making any color choices until I can see clearly again.

-a

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Safety orange is the only hue I will set in white gold as the rest will only end up looking a bit brownish unless set in yellow gold.

ForteKitty,
The ACS stone is definitely orange; however, the saturation isn’t quite there, hence it looks a bit brownish on my monitor. It is a stone that is better set in a yellow metal. That said, with Barry’s cutting, it is still going to be a pretty spessartite. These oranges are definitely elusive, aren't they?

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have uppy, and thanks.

I have a few issues with it, mostly in shape and in cut. A bigger issue than both though is the color because I feel like its a bit too yellow for what I want.

Its just me being ubber picky (I know NO ONE could have ever saw that coming huh?) but though I do find the stone to be really lovely for what it is, I look at it and see it losing its punch when put in white gold. The cut won't help it either, though its an ok native cut stone, its not stellar and does have a window dead center. I need for the cut to also be there on this stone. In other words, it has to be on and poppin :lol:

So because the stone HAS to keep all that punch to hold up in white metal, and I have no faith that it can based on the pictures and my gut, I have to give it a pass.

Chrono, you're right about it being elusive, but its also part of the hunt? instead of hunting rabbits, i'm hunting gemstones :mrgreen:

*I swear I've only had one pain pill today...lol*

-A

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
tourmaline_lover|1298650869|2859281 said:
herekittykitty|1298637848|2859147 said:

It reminds me of a madeira citrine. It won't look good in white metal. I think high karat yellow gold would make that look better.

Have to agree with this. Its too reddish for what I would want. I have one this color and it sings in yellow gold. IMO, in white gold I could see this one showing its browner side which I wouln't want.

But a very lovely stone by its own merrits. I've yet to see a stone I just hate right of the bat really (which is a shame, I'd save more money that way :lol: )

-A

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I think I may have found a stone (or 2!) I had considered working with swala on this one but I'm too afraid of having the hassle of returns. They're good about the descriptions and I've not returned anything yet, but I have to admit, I'm scared of choosing wrong then having to send it back :errrr: I have them picked out for another project though =)

Ok so that left 2 other options which I'm currently exploring.

One company has 4 stones, of which three I'm considering, one looks to me to be too red. Its also a monster at 8cts!! of the other 2 are One is a 4.09ct oval the other is 5.05 princess. That may be a problem considering but I'm mulling those over, will let them know by Monday I've seen the video I think there's some pics I have to see what I can get)

The 5ct comes closest to the orange I want, but was told that there's more visible inclusions. the 4ct is cleaner but by the vendors words 'more golden'. So I have to decide whats more important there. well Color IS important but well..you know....

and all of them are very well cut (they're precision)

the other option; build what I want. Thats not totally guaranteed though, as well I know it! however, it would be built to fit the setting I want it for. That of course could take a wee bit of time considering what I want...

I think I need a drink.....

-A

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you also check with Andrew Sarosi, Marc's father? He has some beautiful material, I've seen it in person.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results